U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM

18,323 posts, read 15,817,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^My sister came to KC from Austin/San Antonio too. She outgrew the college town culture and preferred the maturity of KC's arts scene so decided to move here (Plaza, then Brookside). Houston is deplorable methinks - a place to just exist for the sake of working. Very few cities worse than Houston but they have the jobs.
Yep, we lived in the Plaza and Waldo before we bought our house. My SO got recruited by his current employer when he was living in Austin, and they set him up in their KC metro location. When his company hired him, his options were working out of their Los Angeles office, their KC one, or a travelling position.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 04:58 PM

256 posts, read 241,026 times
This thread made my day

Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM

116 posts, read 101,612 times
To the OP, the title of this thread is silly. To answer your question, NO, everyone is not leaving KC for Texas. KC is actually growing, not shrinking.

And also, Texas pulls from the entire nation.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM

7,850 posts, read 9,748,153 times
KC is so much better than any city in Texas, but you have to go where the jobs are. There does seem to be a lot of interaction going both ways though. I do have relatives that have moved to Dallas and San Antonio.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM

76 posts, read 103,487 times
I prefer Kansas City's four seasons to the steamy climate in Houston, where I lived before coming here. Houston can be a mess. That said, I found it worldly and welcoming. An interesting place that shoves itself to the front of the line. Its best days are ahead of it -- that was the feeling I always got. If I could move Houston north, I'd go back there.

It did help that I was working with a smart group of people down there. They were from all over. Texas is able to attract migrants; that is really its greatest strength.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,766,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC is so much better than any city in Texas, but you have to go where the jobs are. There does seem to be a lot of interaction going both ways though. I do have relatives that have moved to Dallas and San Antonio.
Considering the distance of Chicago, there's actually more per cap interaction with Chicago and Dallas/Houston than KC (2010 stats). Dallas drew same from 3 top STL counties as KC's top 3. But KC does get more from TX than STL does. Is surprising how much Dallas draws from Atlanta. Yikes. As much of a mess Altanta is, I'd take it (Midtown) anyday over TX.

So the point of the thread is moot and silly to bring up. Texas draws from everywhere and the amount from KC is relatively not much different than any city. Of course the closer a city is to TX or larger a city is, the more TX might draw.

Last edited by xenokc; 06-07-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,315,124 times
I'm definitely in the "Eh, Houston" group. My friend lives in a vintage place in pretty much the heart of Montrose and it's still surprisingly unwalkable. Volker is a walker's paradise in comparison. For a city so large, it feels odd. But she works at one of the best children's hospitals in the world (the Saudi royal family's kids have been treated there) and she has friends from all over, so clearly it's a city with its perks -- but god, the weather isn't one of them. She says growing up in St. Louis was good practice for it, but when I was there it was so humid that you felt as though you had an elephant sitting on your shoulders.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM

18,323 posts, read 15,817,835 times
As Texas goes, Houston doesn't interest me at all, although there are places in TX that definitely do.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 5,283 times
Our family is moving from Texas to KC. Now I love Texas for its natural beauty and being so versatile between arid mountains and woodlands and ocean front. Overall we're pleased to go to a sort of middle ground in terms of climate after having lived in the far north as well.

From what I've seen so far of Kansas City it seems to be just as great as any Texas city.
We'll see what I think after a year living there

Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 997 times
I lived in Houston for almost 5 years. I moved there with my exhusband from Ohio for a change and much better paying job.
I LOVED Houston. I left due to divorcing my ex an remarried.
Went back to Ohio for breif then to Missouri.
My now husband is an OTR truck driver/owner operator. We can pretty much live anywhere in the U.S.
But right now he is running regional and would like to find something in one of the states he runs thur a lot so he can still be home most weekends.
I really like the country area we live in here in Mo., however I am still not fully use to not having all the things Houston has to offer. And I have been here 3 years now. lol
Kinda of funny me running across this post.
I am new here looking for information on some other U.S. states/cities that I might be interested in trying out for awhile before making a final decision on moving or going ahead and have our new large home built on our property and making Missouri our forever home.
I really want to move back to Houston, however the only downside of Houston, for me, is the high cost of living. I have gotton so use to things being so inexpensive here in Missouri, that it's hard for me to fully decide to just pack up and go back to Houston and pay the high cost there, or find another place I might like as well as Houston that the cost of living is cheaper. Yet still have a lot of things that the big city life has to offer along with the friendliness of the Texans.
One of the cities that my husband travels thru a lot right now is KC.
So if anyone has any information they would like to share with me either good or bad, I would greatly appreciate it.
I have an RV and am planning on traveling sometime in the fall, and have decided I am going to stay in a place for a month or two, maybe more depending. And make my decision after I have checked out all the cities I am thinking of.
As to the person on moving to Houston, my only advice is if you love big cities, and 100's degrees in the summer, no snow in the winter (but my ex said it did snow a little last winter but was gone that day ) traffic,traffic,traffic and all nationalities of people. You will LOVE Houston.
Just have a good paying job, or your not going to be living in the best area, and will not be able to fully enjoy all that Houston has to offer. ( my ex is an engineer, so that wasn't a problem for us,but my daughter and her husband tried it for a year and just couldnt make ends meet on regular minuimin wage jobs )
It isn't for everyone, but in my OP it is a Wonderful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City