Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Is this 1994 when it was actually somewhat cool to actually have one in your city. We might as well try for a Planet Hollywood while we are at it.
Yeah, the lounge clubs in P&L are essentially similar yet relatively unique. No need to bring in the chains, especially a dated one. The P&L places are at least more contemporary. PH or HRC would be a step backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Yeah, the lounge clubs in P&L are essentially similar yet relatively unique. No need to bring in the chains, especially a dated one. The P&L places are at least more contemporary. PH or HRC would be a step backwards.
You are completely missing the point. I didn't say replace what is already there with a HRC (is PH even still in business?).

I'm saying you could put one (or something similar) in a strategic location and really increase a lot of foot traffic and urban core dining in that area. I think the HRC in Baltimore creates more spin off urban core dining than it would if it wasn't' there. It's always a 1-2 hour wait and people will go to other places. Some will even make their way to more local stuff in Fells Point or something and see the real parts of the city.

The little crown center aquarium and legoland is just as cheesy as a hrc. It all seems like a waste of time and money to me. But there is a market for that stuff.

A Hard Rock would compliment them. It's not rocket science and asking for a kids menu at flying saucer or the american may not be a great option.

A city should offer something for everybody even if you think people that eat at HRC are morons stuck in the 80's that should stay in the burbs.

Just saying.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Really? They tend to be essentially downtown in every city I've seen them in.
P&L leans more adult entertainment. HRC seems to lean more family oriented or at least moreso than P&L. KCK's Legends customer draw seems a better fit than P&L or even Crown Center or Plaza. Save the Plaza purists would go ape sht if HRC proposed going there. It's just a dated concept.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
I'll agree, HRC is a dated concept. If downtown KC wants something along those lines then why not go all out for the Hard Rock Hotel?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

BTW, places like aurther bryants in KC, Tony Lukes in Philly, Bens Chili in DC are also corny in their own way, attracting white suburbanites to hole in the wall urban locals.
How are those places cheesy? Those places are actually good. Hard Rock and Rainforest cafe is just crap food with a cheesy aspect. The thing with Hard Rock and Rainforest is that people can't choose for themselves while on vacation so they settle for a place like Hard Rock. I think sites like Trip Advisor and Yelp and shows like DDD and other food/travel shows actually hurt those Rain Forest Cafe and hard rock cafe type places because people can find the good local places in about 30 seconds on the internet instead of settling for crap food.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Is this 1994 when it was actually somewhat cool to actually have one in your city. We might as well try for a Planet Hollywood while we are at it.
You can argue this about absolutely every single chain establishment in absolutely any city. There's quite a bit of P&L that is the epitome of the HRC, to me, aesthetically, already.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 PM

35 posts, read 68,449 times
House of Blues seems like it would be a good fit for KC.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:45 PM

HoB books the Beaumont Club in Westport, or I think they still do.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Now I want Ben's Chili Bowl!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
KC's not a city. Take away all the places its annexed in the past 40 yrs and BAM its as small as Springfield, mo, Little rock, arkansas, Iowa City, Iowa, Talahasse, Florida etc. KC doesnt deserve a Hard Rock Cafe simply because it cheated its way to be a major city when it is not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City