U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,863 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Hoping to get some tips on looking for work. Here is a little background:

My husband grew up in KC and loved it- his family relocated to CA when he was 17. We currently live in Southern CA and while we like that job stability is better than other parts of the state, we cannot stand the fact that our rent is $1130 for a one bedroom one bath apartment that is under 800 sq feet. We have friend in the area and we have decided that we want to start looking at relocating there. The problem? Neither of our companies have offices in MO.

SO with that said we are trying to begin the job search but as you can imagine it is difficult being in CA and trying to apply for jobs and convince hiring managers that we are serious etc. We are not looking for relocation compensation nor are we looking for them to fly either of us out to interview.

My husband is looking for IT work- he has 4 years experience working in the IT department for k-12 schools. I know that I have read on a lot of these forums that the IT field is doing well in the KC area but we are having trouble with the distance.

Does anyone have any leads, tips on how to get hiring managers to even consider us etc? ANY help would be good! We want out of here
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 02:50 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,766,930 times
From the other thread, check these sites...

monster.com
jobs.com
hotjobs.com
careerbuilder.com

If comfortable with posting your life publicly (I'm not), a lot of IT recruiters look through...
linkedin.com

Going from K-12 IT to corporate IT or tech companies could work if he has an IT degree and/or certifications. Certifications in certain tech fields actually seem to carry more weight with some companies. Cerner might be a good starting point given under 5 years IT experience, they are on a hiring binge.

http://www.cerner.com/About_Cerner/Careers/

Edit: Do you want to live in city or suburbs?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,103,448 times
The OP might also consider looking at IBM in Columbia MO.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the reply- I did see your other one on the other thread and we will check that out more. He does have a degree and like I said he has 4 years experience. We would like to live in the 'burbs. But we are pretty open- he grew up in the 64137 zip code but that isn't necessarily the only place we would like to live. Older neighborhoods seem to be a good fit for us.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 PM

If checking into Cerner (which I'll suggest again), be aware they have sites across the metro. He might cautiously ask which site the position would be located. But relative to SoCal there is near zero traffic so you can get anywhere in metro within 30-40 minutes in most cases, the closer, the less time of course.

Where in SoCal? I have a sister in Burbank/Toluca Lake. Have spent a lot of time there over last 20 years.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Certifications in certain tech fields actually seem to carry more weight with some companies.
More on this, there are some certifications that can lead to the highest IT paying jobs. Network admins/engineers are very high paid - getting a Cisco network certification will pretty much guarantee a high paying job anywhere, but is also considered the hardest to get. Network/systems security analysts also make top salaries. Data modelers and DBAs can make good money depending on company. Coders make above avg salaries but software architects/engineers make more. Having certifications in these will likely help get a job (and a better paying one) over just having an IT degree. There are many I know in KC who have difficult to get certifications and no degree, doing very well.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the more in depth response on certifications- I will have him look into that. Right now we live in Anaheim CA (home of Disney Land) and my husband works literally down the street from where we live and I work in Torrance which is 24 miles W of our home.... which takes about an hour to commute to. We are currently just trying to get some debt paid off and some cash saved up so that we can seriously start our search. Every day that goes by makes both of us want to move to MO more and more.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Good luck on your search in KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City