Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Crossroads?? Plaza?
Since a lot of the rentals in the Plaza are in more modern buildings and/or larger apt. complexes, they probably woudn't, overall, fit the "funky, older" vibe and the no large complexes specification the OP requested. Although I did used to live in a vintage 1920s small apt. building (seven floors, three units per floor) on the Plaza, so it can be done. In the Crossroads, I'd think you'd be even harder pressed to find things that aren't condo/lofts, and even if they are in vintage buildings, all the loft space I've visited in landmark buildings there has been gutted and rehabbed into modern/contemporary dwelling space. Not sure if that's what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Since a lot of the rentals in the Plaza are in more modern buildings and/or larger apt. complexes, they probably woudn't, overall, fit the "funky, older" vibe and the no large complexes specification the OP requested. Although I did used to live in a vintage 1920s small apt. building (seven floors, three units per floor) on the Plaza, so it can be done. In the Crossroads, I'd think you'd be even harder pressed to find things that aren't condo/lofts, and even if they are in vintage buildings, all the loft space I've visited in landmark buildings there has been gutted and rehabbed into modern/contemporary dwelling space. Not sure if that's what the OP is looking for.
There are at least option for that kind of place on or very near the Plaza. There is the entire row of Apts. along Cleaver II BLVD and on 46th b/n the plaza and the Nelson, there are several block in S. Plaza along Wyandotte of colonades, and there are quite a few older buildings (many with interior remodels) in Westport Hill to the north of the plaza, as well as the buildings along Roanoke and Mercier north of 47th.

Some of those places are probably condo, but I know many of them are rentals.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM

I know, I lived in one of the few that hadn't yet gone condo as of three and a half years ago. Most of those ones on Cleaver II are definitely more than a handful of units, though, and I'm not sure what the OP means by large apartment complex.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM

269 posts, read 666,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Many or most rentals are in buildings that are 50+ years old, with a lot of charm. (Plaza)

Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Yes, I know...I lived in this one. Much more charm than the one shown next to it, or the others on the same block.

http://blog.kcpremierapts.com/wp-con...on-irving1.jpg

Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 AM

77 posts, read 171,552 times
Thanks everyone for your responses, I'm sure I'll have more questions the closer it gets to moving time. I think I'll focus on Westside (though it seems to be hard to find rentals) and the Volker/39th St area. While driving around last week, I was definitely impressed with KCMO. It seems like the restaurant/bar scene is improving, which is the main thing I'll miss about Chicago. Oh and the lake of course

Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM

I used to live about six blocks from the lake, and I sure do miss that. As far as the bar scene, when I lived in Chicago, I did pretty much the exact same thing I do in KC...do most of my going out at the establishments in my neighborhood, within walking distance of where I live. That didn't really change for me.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,649 times
I would definitely suggest plaza living or city market area. DH and I lived up north inside Zona Rosa before our house was finished building and it was great. Wish we had considered living at the Plaza, though, as the price is substantially similar for what we rented.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
The Plaza is a nice area and I'm not surprised some people have suggested it, but if the OP is looking for a similar vibe to Wicker Park, the plaza is going to be all wrong for her.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 695 times
City Market area is a great place to live but I think PP have given great suggestions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City