Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM

77 posts, read 171,552 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm considering moving from Chicago to the Kansas City area in September (as much as I love Chicago, it's too expensive long-term for a single gal like myself). I previously lived in Lawrence for eight years, so I do have a bit of insight into Kansas City, but I want to get as much information and opinions about neighborhoods and the overall vibe of KC before I commit to moving there.

I know some posters on this forum have done the Chicago to KC transition, so here's a bit more info: I'm 29 and I live in Wicker Park in Chicago and generally want to live in a neighborhood in KC with the vibe of Wicker Park/Logan Square/Ukrainian Village. Obviously I know KC isn't as urban/walkable, but I would like living in a neighborhood with good restaurants, bars, and younger people, and I definitely want to live in KCMO.

My mom and I drove around Hyde Park, Volker, and Westside this week and I got a good vibe from all of them. My perception is that these neighborhoods are generally safe but it definitely seemed like some blocks were safer/better maintained than others. If anyone has any more info on boundaries to stay between that would be helpful. Also, is August/September even a good time to try to find a place?

Driving around I didn't see many for rent signs, do people usually find places through a rental agency or through craigslist? In Chicago, craigslist is far and away the best way to get a good place. Not sure if it's the same in KC. I mainly am looking for a funky/older place NOT in a huge apartment complex.

Anyway, I know this is really long and I would appreciate any advice/opinions on KC neighborhoods, housing, or just transitioning from a big city to KC in general. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Chicago is one of KC's largest imports. You probably want Volker/Roanoke/W39th to Westport area in midtown. Maybe River Market or Crossroads/Freighthouse district downtown, at least worth checking into.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
The SO and I moved to KC in 2009 after a couple years in Chicago (one right in the heart of Wicker Park on Winchester), so I'm happy to offer any advice and answer any questions you have!

We're living in Volker now after spending a year in Westport. The two neighborhoods essentially abut each other though so we often walk between the two (and take a cab home late after a few too many drinks). Hyde Park has a lovely housing stock and Westside has that very cute (but very very small) little strip of restaurants at 17th and Summit, but as a whole, particularly after living in Chicago, we found both simply too sleepy for our tastes. We have some friends in Hyde Park and they essentially have to drive everywhere. It just doesn't have the walkability we were looking for.

West Plaza, which is just south of Volker (south of 43rd St) and obviously west of the Plaza is also a nice neighborhood filled with the kind of vintage apartments you appear to be looking for, and it's definitely more walkable than Hyde Park, but still not quite what we were looking for either.

We have a couple of friends who live downtown, but other than P&L, which is a bit more clubby and chainified than we prefer, there isn't a ton going on still. Another friend lives in Union Hill near Martini Corner (which is just 4 or 5 bars in a row) and she likes it, but got bored of the small selection rather quickly.

So my two suggestions are Westport (where it can be hard to find a vintage apartment) and Volker. Volker has a great community feel, lots of vintage apartments, and pretty much the single best intact strip of restaurants, dive bars and coffee shops in the city. The thing that will drive you crazy? When you tell peope you live in Volker they'll have no idea what you mean. Just smile and say "Near KU Med" and they'll get it, sort of.

Craigslist is definitely the best way to find rentals in this area. You shouldn't have any problems at the end of the summer. I can think of 4 or 5 For Rent signs up within a couple of blocks of me right now.

I'll get grumbles for this but oh well: What do you know about St. Louis? For us, Chicago is too expensive and KC a bit too sleepy, but St. Louis is our juuust right. The Central West End, The Loop, Wash Ave., Tower Grove South and Soulard are all more walkable than Volker and cheap rents can definitely still be had (particularly in the Loop and TGS). If you have any questions on that, feel free to DM me or stop by the St. Louis forum. There's some super helpful active posters over there.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
When you tell peope you live in Volker they'll have no idea what you mean. Just smile and say "Near KU Med" and they'll get it, sort of.
I usually say 'W39th' and most people know it.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
I think the areas you are looking at are all great, I would probably pick Volker or Westport area if i were you, you have good restaurants, a couple bars, shops and such. Did you have a chance to check out the 39th and State Line area?

Pretty much anything Between State Line Road and Harrison is going to be generally safe, a couple areas a somewhat sketchy like from armour to 39th street between Main and Broadway, but thats pretty much it and I don't even know if its that sketchy anymore because I walk this area in the morning and it's perfectly fine.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
I usually say 'W39th' and most people know it.
We've gone over on this forum before about how most people I work with are not-so-knowledgable about KC as a rule, but even saying 39th Street West you've got about a 40% chance from my two years of experience living here.

It's simply not a destination neighborhood; it's a true community. Which we like!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM

^Good point. It sounds like some of your insight on KC is primarily based on the people you work with. Doesn't sound like very adventurous types.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Another vote for Volker or Westport, here...I also moved here having lived in Chicago (Rogers Park and Andersonville/Edgewater for me). I love the housing stock in Hyde Park best of all, in the options listed, and it sounds like you and I have similar taste in architecture. But if walkability to nightlife stuff is of paramount importance, I'd choose the other two neighborhoods first.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
I think any of those could be good options.

I'll stick up for the Westside, since no one else seems to be. I think it's a great neighborhood. Sure, its not quite as vibrant as Westport and W39th, but it definitely has some good walkable options, plus you're very close to the Crossroads and Downtown. Definitely has a neighborhood and community vibe to it. You would probably want to be as close to 17th and Summit as possible and stay north of SW Blvd.

I'll throw out a couple more suggestions to consider: Longfellow and Union Hill. Longfellow is just north of Hyde Park and has many similarities, but has some better walkable destinations.

For finding older apartments Craigslist will probably be your best bet. Also looking for "for rent" signs can be a good method- but apparently that didn't yield anything for you.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM

269 posts, read 666,687 times
Crossroads?? Plaza?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City