U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 PM
 
17 posts, read 30,581 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Go to any city forum here and you'll find a thread saying how bad it is in that city. Or people ask about the "dating scene". In reality, there's no such thing. The real world isn't a sit-com.
umm your opinion in which in this world your entitled to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Reputation: 48613
I'm newly single, and as such, am not really ready to hit the dating scene right away...need time to process the demise of a long-term relationship and just chill on my own for a while. But eventually I will want to start dating, I'd imagine...and I'm sure it will be a mixed bag.

What I've always found, though, since relocating to KC five years ago (even though I moved here for a guy/relationship, and haven't ever been on the singles market, here), is that people are very approachable and friendly. I've found it easy to make friends (good thing, as a transplant with no support system locally). I'm an active person who chooses to fill her time with tons of different activities, and has a lot of interests. I'm not that worried about meeting like-minded people. I feel like everywhere I've ever lived, people have said the dating scene sucks. Dating in general is just kind of a pain. I would agree that KC seems to have an abundance of young-marryin' types, but that's not everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Santa Fe, The City Different
195 posts, read 343,083 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdown View Post
People here seem to be very closed minded and socilally conditioned here to the point its ludacris lol.
First off, thank you for the laugh. I really needed it to start off my day. lol.

Second, I agree with your post, but I have to slightly disagree with closed minded. Kansas City is not a very diverse area, but I never found the people to be closed minded.(I'm not a fan of KC, however I felt I had to stick up for that, as I have lived in other places that are very closed minded) However, I can understand socially conditioned, because that was one of the reasons I decided to leave the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: IN
20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Inferno View Post
However, I can understand socially conditioned, because that was one of the reasons I decided to leave the area.
Absolutely. The conformity and social engineering is too prevalent compared to other areas I've lived where independent outside the box thinking is more respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,644 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Reputation: 7496
Yeah, why would anyone want to be around normal people? Far less boring to have tattooed purple haired transsexuals with 4 pounds of steel in their face as your neighbors.

One thing's for sure....the steady supply of those driven to twist KC's pluses into minuses is as reliable as the sunrise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Reputation: 48613
What are you even talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 PM
 
Location: IN
20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yeah, why would anyone want to be around normal people? Far less boring to have tattooed purple haired transsexuals with 4 pounds of steel in their face as your neighbors.

One thing's for sure....the steady supply of those driven to twist KC's pluses into minuses is as reliable as the sunrise.
Not referring to the Bay Area. Your point is not applicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,644 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Reputation: 7496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not referring to the Bay Area. Your point is not applicable.
My point is simply that KC's relative social conservatism is a big plus over some other areas of the country where essentially all standards of behavior have been flushed down the toilet. So I when I continue to see it complained about and framed as a negative.

Those who bash social conservatism are bashing the essence of civilization. For its complete lack, on the other end of the scale, is chaos, lawlessness, anarchy. A society with zero chance for a good life quality, because you're spending every waking moment fending off and fighting every conceivable form of offensive, disgusting, and dangerous human behavior.

The benefit of the social conservatism prevalent in the Heartland is truly something that you don't know you've got 'til it's gone. Normal people is what I miss most after leaving the KC area for the Bay Area's social cesspool.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 09-08-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM
 
Location: IN
20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
My point is simply that KC's relative social conservatism is a big plus over some other areas of the country where essentially all standards of behavior have been flushed down the toilet. So I when I continue to see it complained about and framed as a negative.

Those who bash social conservatism are bashing the essence of civilization. For its complete lack, on the other end of the scale, is chaos, lawlessness, anarchy. A society with zero chance for a good life quality, because you're spending every waking moment fending off and fighting every conceivable form of offensive, disgusting, and dangerous human behavior.

The benefit of the social conservatism prevalent in the Heartland is truly something that you don't know you've got 'til it's gone. Normal people is what I miss most after leaving the KC area for the Bay Area's social cesspool.
I have a problem with social conservatism when it gets stirred directly into the political fray as it often does in the Plains states and South in particular. If you think someone like "Brownback" is mainstream than I really don't know what to say. Also, you have been gone from JOCO for over 20 years. The culture is much different overall, but the biggest reason is that it is so overcrowded now that the developers have ruined everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,644 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Reputation: 7496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have a problem with social conservatism when it gets stirred directly into the political fray as it often does in the Plains states and South in particular. If you think someone like "Brownback" is mainstream than I really don't know what to say. Also, you have been gone from JOCO for over 20 years. The culture is much different overall, but the biggest reason is that it is so overcrowded now that the developers have ruined everything.
Of course it is in the political fray....because the only reason we no longer have social conservatism coast-to-coast is the political activism by fringe groups in the last few decades. What you're seeing now is some better-late-than-never push-back politically against those groups and the damage they have done to our social fabric.

I don't know enough about Brownback to say whether he is "mainstream", but this discussion is not about him or any single person anyway. I do know that I don't share his religious views, but do agree with his positions on many issues.

I fail to see the relevance of my being gone for over 20 years to this particular topic. The KC area was socially conservative in the 70s and 80s and you are constantly complaining about it being so today - so what is the point?

How is the culture much different, relative to this discussion?

Developers have ruined everything? You mean like developers "ruined" Manhattan island, San Francisco Bay, and every other plot of ground on earth where humans congregate? We're into the stratosphere of irrelevance here, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top