U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times

Advertisements

^ well some day, I'll visit different areas of KC and see for myself. I will also make an effort to travel to other cities as well so I have something to compare it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
Maybe the US census will do the same thing. You know, "get out a bit", "see things with their own eyes", then they can confidently toss out all that "rubbish" data that they carefully research and compile using teams of paid professional demographers and students of population trends and statisticians and such, and just take an anonymous internet poster's word for how things really are.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
To get back on topic, I am single for pretty much the first time in my adult life (got with my soon-to-be ex-wife when I was 21) and I have never actually dated before. I am finding it difficult to find someone to date or at least worth dating. Everyone is in a relationship or married it seems. But, I must admit that I havent looked terribly hard.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
I am sorry to hear about the demise of two relationship's in this thread. Best of luck to both Tabula and RjRobb.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
To get back on topic, I am single for pretty much the first time in my adult life (got with my soon-to-be ex-wife when I was 21) and I have never actually dated before. I am finding it difficult to find someone to date or at least worth dating. Everyone is in a relationship or married it seems. But, I must admit that I havent looked terribly hard.
so, you are/were not married to tabularasa are you?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Unless that happens to be my ex behind the screen name, no.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Hah, no, I guarantee that RjRobb2 and I are not formerly married. I did move here from IL to be with my former SO of the past five years, though, and have similarly never been single, here, though, so I know where he's coming from.

Sorry to hear that you are going through this crap, too, though, RJR.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 AM

77 posts, read 146,797 times
Dating is the same everywhere, honestly. It wildly vacillates from being super fun to super awkward and annoying on any given week. Like anywhere else in the country, most people tend to meet solid dating prospects through mutual friends or shared activities. I don't know how it is in KC but in Chicago (where I currently live) online dating websites like OkCupid are really popular and an easy way to meet people. I honestly don't see how KC can be much worse for dating than any other place.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 PM

40 posts, read 58,752 times
After being here for a year and a half, I kind of share the sentiments of a lot of the people on this board, but in a little bit different manner. I am a young professional in my early 20s and I live in the Westport area, and I think that the dating scene in KC isn't particularly bad - it's just that it's all relative to the type of person that you are. Allow me to explain:

I came from Pittsburgh where I never had problems meeting girls. I am a very outgoing guy and love talking to people. My roots were in western PA, so I always met friends of friends and that made dating easy for me. When I came to KC, I had 0 connections, 0 friends.. so my challenge was breaking out of my current patterns and attempting to get out there and meet people on my own, without relying on the help of others.

In my year and a half of doing this, I have truly tried to study a lot of the social habits of people who are my age in this city. My main observation that I have seen that was a differentiation from my past life in PA is this: KC has a lot of young, single people and that is evident by spending a Friday or Saturday night in KC. However, the people you meet is based upon the type of person you are.

Now, I know what you're saying: "That's obvious". Let me delve a little deeper, using my own situation as an example. I, myself, am a very laid back, coffee-shop and microbrew kind of guy. Where my problem lies is that in KC, my type of person and my type of culture isn't very prevalent. Not that it's non-existant, it's just that my ideal lifestyle isn't as big here as it would be in other cities. Now, what I have discovered is that there are a lot of different cultures that are very big here - the hipster movement, for example, has very obvious and very strong roots as displayed in Westport. The "frat" type lifestyle also seems prevalent, as you will see on a Friday night at Gran Falloon or at Power and Light. I have friends in both groups who have cleaned up on the dating scene, and I have witnessed my friends who fit into one of these demographics having no issues.

Where I have issues, I guess, is in the fact that I haven't really found my niche. I have been social, joined clubs, and put myself out there but just haven't really had that much interest or found that many women that interest me. Part of that might be on me - maybe I haven't scoured and searched enough to find those groups that do fit my interest. However, I still think that part of my issue is just that the type of culture that I like just isn't the type of culture that has strong roots in Kansas City.

From what I've seen, the dating scene in KC is just fine.. it's just all about finding your niche group and making friends. Maybe I just haven't found that particular niche for me, or maybe KC just doesn't offer my particular niche. And I'm fine with that.. that doesn't mean KC is a bad dating city, and that doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I agree with the previous two posters that dating is dating, and KC is no better or worse than anywhere else...a lot depends on attitude. I just randomly scored a date the other night when not expecting it (and only been out of a five-year cohabiting relationship for a whopping month), something I never would have predicted. And I am just Ms. Average-Looking, Normal Woman. It's really not that hard to meet people, no matter where you are, IMO. You just have to be open, willing to take a chance, friendly, and as minimally socially awkward as possible.

I would offer the previous poster the advice of not focusing so much on a niche, but being open to different "types"/recognizing that not everyone DOES fit into any one particular niche. But I've got a few years on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or