U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 29,898 times

Advertisements

We live in Richmond, VA and want to relocate. It sounds like Kansas City has a lot of similarities with Richmond. Both seem to be a little more liberal pockets in conservative states, have a nice community feel with festivals, parks, historic districts and so on, and cost of living is similar.

Anybody been to both places and care to compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM

7,835 posts, read 9,679,903 times
I live up near DC now (used to live in kc), but have been to Richmond many times.

While the Richmond MSA is pretty good sized, the city feels considerably smaller than KC and I think KC has more "big city" attractions and culture myself. So I think you would be pleasantly surprised. Imagine a city that feels about the size of Baltimore (without the rowhouses) and with more to do and not as much crime (especially in nice areas...seems harder to avoid crime in Baltimore). And that's KC.

Both KC and Richmond have some blight and crime issues and I think KC overall is "nicer" or has more nice areas (both urban and suburban) despite having a large "ghetto" and a lot of run down areas.

You are right about KC being pretty liberal. Even the suburbs around KC are more liberal than people would think although many are quite conservative. The states of MO and KS are very conservative, KS more so only because MO has KC and StL to offset the rural areas. But even St Louis County (MO's political powerhouse) can be somewhat conservative. Urban KCMO is very liberal. The KS side is mostly suburban, except KCK which is a working class blue collar suburb/city. Politics is not my thing though, so I'll let others chime in on that. But yea, similar situation as Richmond.

KC has pro sports teams, world class performing arts center, a zoo that should become one of the country's best very soon, some great thriving urban entertainment districts, some first class museums (WW1 is as good as anything in DC), many festivals etc. The city really does hold its own and is a regional tourism and cultural center for hundreds of miles.

Richmond on the other hand has different assets. It is close to the water, Norfolk, VA Beach, the mountains and DC/Baltimore etc. Richmond has both Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion nearby, (both are larger than Worlds of Fun). There is just a LOT more to do within a couple of hours of Richmond than KC, but KC has more to do in the immediate metro area.

I guess my point is that KC is a decent city. It's a little over 2 million, but I honestly think it sort of acts and feels like a city of 3 million or more. It's lush, green, hilly and has four great seasons and some incredible spring and fall weather and KC has some of the nicest suburbs you will find anywhere and very cheap urban condos etc.

But it's in the middle of nowhere and you can only do the 3-4 hour drive to St Louis so many times. BUt KC is close to Colorado and obviously much closer to the west coast, so that's a plus if you want to see more of the country than just the east coast.

Richmond is a nice city with a lot of culture and highly underrated IMO. But as far as amenities, urbanity etc , I don't think it compares well to KC.

It's sort of a toss up. Give up being a couple of hours from mountains, oceans, big cultural cities and just tons and tons of things to do from historic sites to beaches to the nation's capital to be in a more self contained metro that has just about everything you could need on a day to day basis (and can keep you pretty entertained on weekends) all within 45 minutes with cheaper housing, less traffic and just less annoyances. Decent amusement parks, easy and cheap to attend pro sports etc.

At least in KC you can drive to St Louis and not have to worry about a 2-3 hour delay. In the midwest, 100 miles takes what google says it should take. Traffic is much worse in Richmond. The rural stretches of 95 are busier than the urban stretches of 70 during rush hour in KC and you got to get tired of that weekend DC traffic heading back and forth to the beaches and other areas clogging up Richmond highways.

Richmond has some of the best bbq on the east coast, but it's better in KC .

Last edited by kcmo; 08-27-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM

783 posts, read 519,786 times
Pretty well sums it up.

Richmond surprised me the way I think KC surprises most people who come here for the first time, which is to say, pleasantly.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 29,898 times
Cool! Thank you for all that. It was exactly what I was wondering about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City