U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,792 times

Advertisements

We are planning a VERY small wedding in December (just the 2 of us and our 3 teenage children). I think the plan is to have a very short outdoor wedding (yes, in December ) at the KC Sculpture Park.

A few questions:

1. We want to have dinner on the Plaza after the brief ceremony, but would prefer something local and quaint. Is there such a thing in that area? Melting Pot, Cheescake Factory or PF Changs is definitely not what we're looking for.

2. We are in need of a photographer to capture various moments throughout the afternoon/early evening as we prepare for and have our wedding. We want family pictures taken (both candid and posed) that truly reflect our blended family and will also take in the ambience of the Nelson-Atkins and Plaza area. Recommendations?

3. We are also pondering transportation. Limo? Carriage? Old-timey car? Thoughts? Recommendations?

4. How in the world would I go about finding someone who could marry us? We want a non-religious ceremony that is mostly filled with our own vows to each other.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
1. Local and quaint definitely isn't what the Plaza does best any more -- what about Aixois in the Crestwood Shops, Julian in Brookside or Westport Cafe and Bar in Westport (the third being the least expensive)

2. I don't have any suggestions, but keep an eye on LivingSocial and Groupon, because I've seen some deals that might work for you. How many hours of coverage would you be looking for?

3. With 5 people I'd probably go ahead and do a limo -- a carriage or a town car are really going to be too small.

4. Here's a great list of officiants in the area: Kansas City Officiant

BEST of luck and congratulations!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel_Bel_Bel View Post

1. We want to have dinner on the Plaza after the brief ceremony, but would prefer something local and quaint. Is there such a thing in that area? Melting Pot, Cheescake Factory or PF Changs is definitely not what we're looking for.
Eden Alley is the only local one that seems anything like "quaint" to me, but perhaps we define that differently. Unless your vegetarian, it seems like it'd be a strange (aka quaint) place to have your wedding dinner.

I think I would strongly recommend JJs. It is charming, delicious, on the plaza proper and local. Second choice would be Gram & Dun.

Grand Street is good but a little brash, and kind of outside the plaza. Same with Accurso's, which is fair and has a nice, sleek atmosphere.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM

^JJ's is a great call actually -- I've only been there for after-work drinks, but seems to be what the OP is looking for.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,792 times
JJ's looks great and I also found someone to conduct the ceremony for us. Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:22 PM

376 posts, read 429,412 times
Regarding a photographer, a couple of pieces of advice, if I may:

- Try to find someone who gives you two photogs working your wedding and reception at the same time. My wife and I had this—a guy who took formal shots and his wife, who went around taking candids. The mix was amazing and wonderful.

- Choose someone who will give you the digital files and not just sell you prints. You want the files on a CD-ROM so that you don't have to pay your photog each time you want new prints made.

Have fun!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 AM

I agree with the second point, it's so nice to be able to make your own albums, but I don't tink the first point would be all that useful to you given how small your wedding is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or