U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,815 times

Advertisements

Hello

I've accept a transfer to KC and my family and I are looking to rent a house in the area. Most of the "we're moving to KC" threads by young professional families are looking to buy, but we know that we will only be here for 3 years at the most and don't want to get tied down with real estate.

Our budget is 1k a month and we really want a single family house with a two car garage. We have a 3 year old daughter who will be starting pre-school next year so there's that to consider. I'll be working at the Downtown Airport so something within about 30 mins drive would be ideal. My husband works in health care so can be very flexible.

Most of the neighborhoods recommended to the buyers just don't have much in the way of rentals in our price range, for obvious reasons. So...any suggestions of where to look? Somewhere safe, maybe an older neighborhood. Craig's list is a start, but we have already made a few inquiries and several are scams. Are there any property management companies who are reputable and deal in mostly houses?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 44,635 times
I'm not to familiar with any rentals north of the river but I'm sure you could find a good house in Parkville or North KC which would be very close to wheeler.

You shouldnt have much problem finding a decent 2-3 bedroom house for around 1k a month.

No clue on rental agencies but I would continue to check craigslist, I found my current rental house there and alot of my friends have had success as well. Just be sure to check it out beforehand if possible.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,624,496 times
Listings

Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 PM

544 posts, read 1,994,126 times
Look in Independence. Utilities in Indep aren't bad either. We are now renting a 3 bdrm for $850 and our utilities run about $400 . Of course utilities run with the seasons, but we are pleased with what we pay now after living in Raytown for 30+ years. We dumped our home on an investor and turned our back on the burb I grew up in.Independence is convenient and easy to get to any part of the metro from here. Stay out of south KC & Raytown.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM

55 posts, read 171,484 times
I too am looking to rent in KC. I was hoping to be in overland park or Leawood. Is Craigslist or pillow the best place to look. Also homes4rent.com. Should I look anywhere else? We have 2 dogs so that makes it tricky.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
Look in Independence. Utilities in Indep aren't bad either. We are now renting a 3 bdrm for $850 and our utilities run about $400 . Of course utilities run with the seasons, but we are pleased with what we pay now after living in Raytown for 30+ years. We dumped our home on an investor and turned our back on the burb I grew up in.Independence is convenient and easy to get to any part of the metro from here. Stay out of south KC & Raytown.
Did you get a fair price for your home? I've always read that they pay about 50% of the actual value.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM

544 posts, read 1,994,126 times
We sold it for what we owed on it to an investor. It had a bad foundation. We did see it was for sale again, looked it up, and it is listed for half of what we sold it for. 5 years ago the house appraised at $149,000. It was recently listed for $59,900. We sold it for 105. We knew the foundation had settled in recent years and decided to get out from under it. Beautiful home, we kept updating it through the years. We lived there over 20 years. Not only a foundation repair that was going to cost about $40,000 that we did not have and sure didn't want to get a loan in this economy, we had a drug house across the street, that authorities would not help to shut it down, we just didn't feel safe in the neighborhood anymore.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
We sold it for what we owed on it to an investor. It had a bad foundation. We did see it was for sale again, looked it up, and it is listed for half of what we sold it for. 5 years ago the house appraised at $149,000. It was recently listed for $59,900. We sold it for 105. We knew the foundation had settled in recent years and decided to get out from under it. Beautiful home, we kept updating it through the years. We lived there over 20 years. Not only a foundation repair that was going to cost about $40,000 that we did not have and sure didn't want to get a loan in this economy, we had a drug house across the street, that authorities would not help to shut it down, we just didn't feel safe in the neighborhood anymore.
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering because we live in a home built in the late 50s that we have done a lot of work on, but I'm afraid when it comes time to sell it we may have the same issue with the foundation. Our doors will/won't close depending on the time of year, cracks in a couple of walls that I assume is from the foundation moving, etc. Maybe we don't really have any major foundation problems and the house has been great otherwise, but scared to find out. We've lived here 26 years.

Glad you were able to get out from under yours when you did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City