U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 AM

159 posts, read 123,442 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am planning to move to the Kansas City, Missouri area including somewhere in the surrounding towns/cities and was wondering if I could get a heads-up on what areas to avoid please? I am a single mom and am looking for the least expensive rent on a house or duplex I can find (preferably between $400-525 not including utilities). I have seen houses/duplexes listed in Blue Springs, Independence, different areas of KC, Lee's Summit, and many others and am completely clueless on where to start. I need to move somewhere this week if possible and am looking for around 700 sq. ft and up, 1 or 2 bedroom for now with a washer/dryer (even stackable or connections) and preferably a dishwasher (but not as important to me as the washer/dryer (I HATE going to the laundromat because the creepy guys usually hit on me ).

Anyway, are there any areas where I can still be within 40 minutes or so max of a mall, health food stores, Target, Walmart, restaurants, etc.? I am not an urban person and like privacy like semi-rural areas but want to be safe also. I plan to work from home and need somewhere with DSL also.

Thank you

Last edited by movingagain2012; 09-03-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 AM

159 posts, read 123,442 times
I would be ok with 650 sq. ft or so as well if we had to do that for awhile just starting out. We can live in a reasonably small space, but not a 300 sq. ft. studio or anything REALLY small.

Are there any safe non-highrise city places (maybe suburban, midtown, or even rural or semi-rural areas that are not as congested as 'city life') you guys might suggest for us? Eventually we would like to buy a little farmhouse on 5-10 acres or so (and have a garden, some goats, chickens, dogs, etc.) but only after we learn the areas more.

I had even thought of getting one of those by-the-week hotel rooms but by the time you pay for that you can just pay the first month's rent, but obviously if I am clueless about the area I do need some time to decide where to live.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM

7,757 posts, read 9,528,268 times
Sounds like you want something away from the city, which would be cheaper too.

I would check out Grain Valley or even Oak Grove. They are smaller suburbs/exurbs on the far edge of the metro but within 10-15 minutes of major suburban shopping centers etc.

You might also look at Pleasant Hill or Raymore.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,064,044 times
Prices north of the river tend to be really competitive for older apartment complexes -- this one I saw on Craigslist is in a safe, convenient, but reasonably quiet area, and you can get a lot of space for your dollar. What it doesn't have is an in-unit W/D, but it says there are facilities for each building -- perhaps that's a workable middle ground?

Open Saturday and Labor Day! Come tour today!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Status: "Friends come and go. enemies accumalate" (set 7 days ago)

7,174 posts, read 5,037,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Hi there,

I am planning to move to the Kansas City, Missouri area including somewhere in the surrounding towns/cities and was wondering if I could get a heads-up on what areas to avoid please? I am a single mom and am looking for the least expensive rent on a house or duplex I can find (preferably between $400-525 not including utilities). I have seen houses/duplexes listed in Blue Springs, Independence, different areas of KC, Lee's Summit, and many others and am completely clueless on where to start. I need to move somewhere this week if possible and am looking for around 700 sq. ft and up, 1 or 2 bedroom for now with a washer/dryer (even stackable or connections) and preferably a dishwasher (but not as important to me as the washer/dryer (I HATE going to the laundromat because the creepy guys usually hit on me ).

Anyway, are there any areas where I can still be within 40 minutes or so max of a mall, health food stores, Target, Walmart, restaurants, etc.? I am not an urban person and like privacy like semi-rural areas but want to be safe also. I plan to work from home and need somewhere with DSL also.

Thank you
Not much in that price range. Most likely you will need to go Section 8 to get anything at all. Might get an apartment in Belton Mo for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City