U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM

27 posts, read 47,153 times

Advertisements

So we are thinking of moving to the Belton area. I have two boys (4years old and one due by c-section on monday!) It'd be my husband, our boys, and myself. What can you all tell me about the Belton area? ANYTHING would be great as the city website didn't tell us much or show us many pictures. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,207,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika87 View Post
So we are thinking of moving to the Belton area. I have two boys (4years old and one due by c-section on monday!) It'd be my husband, our boys, and myself. What can you all tell me about the Belton area? ANYTHING would be great as the city website didn't tell us much or show us many pictures. Thanks!
Belton has an old, original section of town, from a time when it was just a small rural town surrounding by farming. They have still have small-townish community events held there along the nice Main Street. Other than that, Belton is a very middle-of-the-road suburb. It's one of the faster growing suburbs, but also is one of the more affordable for new/newer housing. It's neither ghetto, nor wealthy. It's pretty humble and blue collar. There's still a old time population leftover from when it was just a small town and not exactly a suburb, and so it still has a small-town feel and culture. Belton isn't cut off from rural influence either, as there is still open country in some directions. It's still a little bit country, and like 90% white. All of the basic, typical retain and restaurants are there, like Walmart, Applebee's, etc. There aren't any malls or department stores though. One would have to go to Lee's Summit, Independence, or Johnson County, KS, for that stuff. I believe the school district is good and average. Most of the newer houses are fairly modest beige, typical suburban houses in subdivisions. Most of the retail and restaurants are centered along US 71 Highway, which in a few months will become Interstate 49. Other than that, I don't know what to say. I'm not sure how many apartment complexes there are, but I'm sure there are some. Raymore is the town next to Belton and is pretty much just like Belton except it doesn't have a major old part of town and is in a different school district. The town/suburb north of Belton, across the county line, Grandview, is slightly ghetto, but pretty well separated from Belton. Belton's population is about 20,000 and adjoining Raymore is about 20,000, too.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 PM

My mother and father in law were talking about us buying a house with a finished walk-out basement that they could rent from us and pay half the mortgage but we are still looking for a house that's around 150k since thats probably what me and hubby would be approved for. So we are looking for a house with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths or 3 bedrooms 2 baths and a basement that we could turn into an apartment for my in laws. We would also like a decent sized yard for the boys.

Is this hard to find in Belton?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
My mother and father in law were talking about us buying a house with a finished walk-out basement that they could rent from us and pay half the mortgage but we are still looking for a house that's around 150k since thats probably what me and hubby would be approved for. So we are looking for a house with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths or 3 bedrooms 2 baths and a basement that we could turn into an apartment for my in laws. We would also like a decent sized yard for the boys.

Is this hard to find in Belton?
Finding a house with a finished walkout basement might be difficult. I'd think finding the right house just with an unfinished walkout basement would be challenging enough, but I'm sure they're there.

Here's a good local real estate site, have at it.

Reece & Nichols is Kansas City's Real Estate Expert |  

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM

lol, yeah that would just be the perfect house but we don't NEED a finished walkout.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,531,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Belton has an old, original section of town, from a time when it was just a small rural town surrounding by farming. They have still have small-townish community events held there along the nice Main Street. Other than that, Belton is a very middle-of-the-road suburb. It's one of the faster growing suburbs, but also is one of the more affordable for new/newer housing. It's neither ghetto, nor wealthy. It's pretty humble and blue collar. There's still a old time population leftover from when it was just a small town and not exactly a suburb, and so it still has a small-town feel and culture. Belton isn't cut off from rural influence either, as there is still open country in some directions. It's still a little bit country, and like 90% white. All of the basic, typical retain and restaurants are there, like Walmart, Applebee's, etc. There aren't any malls or department stores though. One would have to go to Lee's Summit, Independence, or Johnson County, KS, for that stuff. I believe the school district is good and average. Most of the newer houses are fairly modest beige, typical suburban houses in subdivisions. Most of the retail and restaurants are centered along US 71 Highway, which in a few months will become Interstate 49. Other than that, I don't know what to say. I'm not sure how many apartment complexes there are, but I'm sure there are some. Raymore is the town next to Belton and is pretty much just like Belton except it doesn't have a major old part of town and is in a different school district. The town/suburb north of Belton, across the county line, Grandview, is slightly ghetto, but pretty well separated from Belton. Belton's population is about 20,000 and adjoining Raymore is about 20,000, too.
Nice post, but why call Grandview "ghetto"? Parts may be a bit run down, but is there any part of Grandview that could be considered ghetto or even slightly ghetto which is a really harsh word.

I only say that because Grandview has really done a lot to try to improve its image, which is very similar to the image of Raytown , both unwarranted for the most part. South KC (Ruskin/hickman mills etc) has some major issues, but Grandview and Raytown both have always been just modest blue collar suburbs with good people that just can’t afford or don’t want to live in places like Lee’s Summit or Overland Park. When people throw around labels like ghetto for an area, I don’t think they realize how much harm that does.

All that sprawl in Belton and Raymore could and should be in any of the empty land around Grandview, but instead, people move to Cass County to be buffered from the ghetto of Grandview and in ten years, they will do the same by migrating to the little towns further south to avoid those areas that are becoming slightly ghetto in Raymore/Belton which are fine till everybody leaves and new stores open at 198th and 71 and the stores at 58 close up.

It’s never ending. Sorry about the rant.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Nice post, but why call Grandview "ghetto"? Parts may be a bit run down, but is there any part of Grandview that could be considered ghetto or even slightly ghetto which is a really harsh word.

I only say that because Grandview has really done a lot to try to improve its image, which is very similar to the image of Raytown , both unwarranted for the most part. South KC (Ruskin/hickman mills etc) has some major issues, but Grandview and Raytown both have always been just modest blue collar suburbs with good people that just canít afford or donít want to live in places like Leeís Summit or Overland Park. When people throw around labels like ghetto for an area, I donít think they realize how much harm that does.

All that sprawl in Belton and Raymore could and should be in any of the empty land around Grandview, but instead, people move to Cass County to be buffered from the ghetto of Grandview and in ten years, they will do the same by migrating to the little towns further south to avoid those areas that are becoming slightly ghetto in Raymore/Belton which are fine till everybody leaves and new stores open at 198th and 71 and the stores at 58 close up.

Itís never ending. Sorry about the rant.
^I totally agree and am breaking my own rule by calling Grandview ghetto. I agree that calling places that are barely so "ghetto" and steering people away, because I think that creates ghettos, so I know it's damaging. I hate how it works, but as it is Grandview isn't a place I'd buy because I question the stability. Being from an area of KCK that really went down hill, I'm sensitive to that possibility. It is never ending.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
lol, yeah that would just be the perfect house but we don't NEED a finished walkout.
^This post makes no sense.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,531,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^I totally agree and am breaking my own rule by calling Grandview ghetto. I agree that calling places that are barely so "ghetto" and steering people away, because I think that creates ghettos, so I know it's damaging. I hate how it works, but as it is Grandview isn't a place I'd buy because I question the stability. Being from an area of KCK that really went down hill, I'm sensitive to that possibility. It is never ending.
yea, I understand what you are saying. I just think that it's labels like this that actually cause areas to turn to **** more than anything. I lived in SKC within walking distance of Bannister Mall. I watched that area blossom and blow up all within a very short time span of about 10 years.

The "image" of the area did far more harm to the area than any actual crime that was there. The crime at Bannister Mall never got any worse than crime sprees that occasionally occur at Oak Park Mall. There have been quite a few muggings and even killings over the years at or near Oak Park and other very white areas. I recall some pretty crazy things happeing at Oak Park that people eventually forget about. But when something happens in an area where black people shop. They don't forget so easily. Now the bannister area is exactly like how people used to say it was before it actually turned to crap.

If that makes any sense.

If the only areas of KC worth a darn are just the outer belt suburbs (and not even all of them) and some tiny parts of kcmo, then wow, KC has some pretty big issues.

I personally don't think that's the case. I think places like Independence, Raytown, Grandview, NKC, Olathe much of central KCMO are fine. They may not be fine for the person that lives in a "puppies and rainbows" (love that quote) environment at 159th and Nall, but they are fine areas for people that don't need or want to live at 159th and Nall. It really is okay to live in a modest neighborhood of 1970's split levels with good working down to earth people in places like gasp.....Raytown....

This is why I'm so sensitive about Independence Center. I know an entire area of thriving retail and decent neighborhoods can be destroyed in just a few years simply by worth of mouth and rumors of crime and safety issues and I cringe every time something happens at Indep Center for that reason. They don't have quite the demographics that Oak Park does around it to help people forget about things quite so easily and if it ever loses its regional draw, that area could take a hard core nose-dive overnight. Just like the Bannister Mall area did. It's why Indep built the arena. They are doing everything they can to keep it a regional draw.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-07-2012 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,531,408 times
I ended up spending a good deal of time in Grandview for work, and my perception of it improved quite a bit because my prior opinion was based mostly on speeding by down 71. It's actually quite nice for the most part. Not upscale or anything, but nice.

Independence seems to be doing a good job of learning lessons from the past by surrounding the mall with so much stuff, including more long-term things like the hospital and arena, to make it very difficult to fail. I remember residents sometimes complaining that the city spent too much effort in the southeast part, but it had already been in place for years and if it went down, forget about ever revitalizing Noland or the Square. Because in the Kansas City mind, things that fail must be too close to something bad, and to replace it properly is to build way out further into who-knows-where.

Oh yeah, Belton. Ho-hum. Not bad, not great. Seems kind of far away from the rest of KC civilization, and lacks anything to make it interesting. Very much a strip-mall over here, culdesacs over-there kind of place, with no real attempt to make any of it visually appealing. Affordable alternative for those who find themselves working way down south somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City