U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 02:29 PM

376 posts, read 429,412 times

Advertisements

My daughters attend St. Elizabeth on 75th, which is a parochial school but quite liberal and non-pressuring about us not being Catholic. It's much cheaper than Pembroke: about $9000 a year total for my two girls. You may want to check it out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM

677 posts, read 1,145,267 times
I have heard of people who have successfully used/keept alternate addresses for school purposes. It can be done, be definitely is a risk and moral grey area.

I always hear positively glowing reviews of Academie Lafayette. They are having an open house at their new K-2 school campus in Hyde Park on Thursday, Sept 20th 5-7pm.

I also hear generally good things about Border Star, though I understand your concerns with the Montessori style - it seems like it may not be for everybody.

To my knowledge, there aren't too many non-religious private schools in KCMO. The only I can think of besides Pembroke is Kansas City Academy in south Waldo which is 6-12 and very small.

I grew up in Brookside and went to Catholic schools. My experience was similar to what Pacific mentioned: not overly indoctrinating and relatively liberal. They provide outstanding educations and will be cheaper than the non-parochial options.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM

3,624 posts, read 6,756,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
I have heard of people who have successfully used/keept alternate addresses for school purposes. It can be done, be definitely is a risk and moral grey area.
My step daughters always lived with their mother in Independence, and their father (Mr. Dokie) lived North of the River. This was over 20 years ago, and I don't remember all the details - I believe it started with a call my husband made to her school and our callback number was obviously a N. of the River # (remember when you could easily tell what neighborhood a person lived by their phone number??) and the Independence school district got the idea that she was living with us but still attending Independence schools. Divorce decrees, custody agreements, etc. etc. were required to prove she wasn't. They were on it quick and it was a PITA to clear up.

If the OP goes ahead with her plan and the SMSD gets wind of it I wouldn't be surprised if: 1) they kicked the kid out of school and 2) billed the parents for tuition for the time she was enrolled.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM

12,606 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Someone mentioned Barstow. I will second that recommendation.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
I think it would be very hard on your kids to lie to their friends about where they live. I had a friend in high school who did this and none of us knew where he lived until after we graduated. We just thought he was either a) ashamed of where he lived or b) paranoid and weird.

Montessori's don't test great, and it does sound like you've done a lot of research, but I know someone very happy with Border Star so I would encourage you to really get to know the school. There's also a lottery for that of course, so backup options should be carefully considered.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 PM

34 posts, read 124,147 times
Default Follow Up Question

If it has to do with taxes. . . . . . .

What if you own investment property in Shawnee Mission School District. Can you enroll your kids to the SM school district? You're paying the property tax and the mill levy for the schools, you are paying for the school! What do you guys think?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
No. It has to be your primary residence. Usually there is a legally codified definition, like you have to sleep there 2/3rds of the time or whatever.

I do believe SM schools have open enrollment for out of district students in the state of Kansas, however. For instance, students in KCK schools can enroll in SM schools if there is room (and there always is, enrollment has been dropping in SM for years). You have to pay out of district tuition, but that is often less than parochial tuition or tithing (depending obviously on one's income and scholarships).

It makes the Rosedale neighborhood a great option for a family who wants to live in urban KC, get great schools at a reasonable price, and avoid contributing money to the Catholic church.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 PM

12,606 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva kc View Post
If it has to do with taxes. . . . . . .

What if you own investment property in Shawnee Mission School District. Can you enroll your kids to the SM school district? You're paying the property tax and the mill levy for the schools, you are paying for the school! What do you guys think?
No. This is from the SMSD website:

Enrollment in Shawnee Mission schools is limited to students whose parent(s) lives in the district. Property ownership does not establish residency; more detailed definitions of residency are provided in the student section of the board of education policy manual. Additional explanation of the policy can be provided by building principals.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM

34 posts, read 124,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If you aren't paying taxes in Kansas, you don't have a right to send your children to school in Kansas.
Just responding to your initial posting.
Does anyone know what the tuition to attend SM schools are?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 AM

266 posts, read 472,704 times
Wow... just wow. You guys hate the JoCo so much that you would actually suggest someone live in Rosedale? That neighborhood is very dangerous outside the immediate KUMed campus area.

Shawnee Mission officials are most likely very aware of people trying to get into SMSD for "free" (as in not paying joco home/rent prices for a joco quality education). I know of several people who used to live with different relatives than their own parents because they have an address inside SMSD, and I would imagine many parents try all kinds of methods to get in here, even using their friend's address even though the kid resides nowhere near JoCo. Needless to say though it would be pretty awkward for your kids if they had to hide where they lived for fear of punishment from the district.

OP, I recommend you look in the nice east JoCo area. Prairie Village has nicer homes (some are teardowns rebuilt very well) for less than what you would pay in Brookside. You are still really close to Brookside! That's the thing I don't get at all. People who live in Brookside bash the other side of the state line that they live less than a quarter mile from! Talk about living next to a wall.

The thing is, all these areas are REALLY close to each other, and the ghetto starts about a mile (probably less than that) east of state line, with Brookside and the Plaza areas basically being crammed into these blocks between State Line and Holmes. PV and other suburbs border the state line, with some like Roeland Park and Fairway starting about a mile west of it. The entire stretch from Metcalf to Oak or so pretty much has the same charming character, the only difference being the terrible school situation in part of this.

Plus, since you the OP don't seem that interested in Catholic schools, SMEast and its feeders are excellent. Pembroke Hill is the closest nonreligious private, but of course really expensive. Barstow is pretty far south, though I'm sure excellent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City