U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,296,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Wow... just wow. You guys hate the JoCo so much that you would actually suggest someone live in Rosedale? That neighborhood is very dangerous outside the immediate KUMed campus area.

Shawnee Mission officials are most likely very aware of people trying to get into SMSD for "free" (as in not paying joco home/rent prices for a joco quality education). I know of several people who used to live with different relatives than their own parents because they have an address inside SMSD, and I would imagine many parents try all kinds of methods to get in here, even using their friend's address even though the kid resides nowhere near JoCo. Needless to say though it would be pretty awkward for your kids if they had to hide where they lived for fear of punishment from the district.

OP, I recommend you look in the nice east JoCo area. Prairie Village has nicer homes (some are teardowns rebuilt very well) for less than what you would pay in Brookside. You are still really close to Brookside! That's the thing I don't get at all. People who live in Brookside bash the other side of the state line that they live less than a quarter mile from! Talk about living next to a wall.

The thing is, all these areas are REALLY close to each other, and the ghetto starts about a mile (probably less than that) east of state line, with Brookside and the Plaza areas basically being crammed into these blocks between State Line and Holmes. PV and other suburbs border the state line, with some like Roeland Park and Fairway starting about a mile west of it. The entire stretch from Metcalf to Oak or so pretty much has the same charming character, the only difference being the terrible school situation in part of this.

Plus, since you the OP don't seem that interested in Catholic schools, SMEast and its feeders are excellent. Pembroke Hill is the closest nonreligious private, but of course really expensive. Barstow is pretty far south, though I'm sure excellent as well.
Yes, but not walkable. I really think that's what the OP is looking for and it's what even the very nicest of places west of state line offer.

Also, FWIW, State Line to Holmes is a mile and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,166,034 times
Quote:
You guys hate the JoCo so much that you would actually suggest someone live in Rosedale? That neighborhood is very dangerous outside the immediate KUMed campus area.
1. Rosedale isn't dangerous, much less "very" dangerous. I lived there for years. There are upper middle class areas, some working class areas, and some fairly poor areas in Rosedale, including some sparsely populated nearly rural "hollers". None of them are "dangerous" by any but the most hyperbolic standard.

2. It has nothing to do with hating JoCo, the eastern portion of Rosedale affords one the opportunity for a walkable, urban lifestyle to a degree that just doesn't exist in Johnson county.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 PM

10,715 posts, read 18,604,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
1. Rosedale isn't dangerous, much less "very" dangerous. I lived there for years. There are upper middle class areas, some working class areas, and some fairly poor areas in Rosedale, including some sparsely populated nearly rural "hollers". None of them are "dangerous" by any but the most hyperbolic standard.

2. It has nothing to do with hating JoCo, the eastern portion of Rosedale affords one the opportunity for a walkable, urban lifestyle to a degree that just doesn't exist in Johnson county.
Yea, I have never heard of Rosedale being dangerous. It's not affluent, but it's not dangerous by any stretch either.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,233,600 times
Quote:
Wow... just wow. You guys hate the JoCo so much that you would actually suggest someone live in Rosedale? That neighborhood is very dangerous outside the immediate KUMed campus area.

Shawnee Mission officials are most likely very aware of people trying to get into SMSD for "free" (as in not paying joco home/rent prices for a joco quality education). I know of several people who used to live with different relatives than their own parents because they have an address inside SMSD, and I would imagine many parents try all kinds of methods to get in here, even using their friend's address even though the kid resides nowhere near JoCo. Needless to say though it would be pretty awkward for your kids if they had to hide where they lived for fear of punishment from the district.

OP, I recommend you look in the nice east JoCo area. Prairie Village has nicer homes (some are teardowns rebuilt very well) for less than what you would pay in Brookside. You are still really close to Brookside! That's the thing I don't get at all. People who live in Brookside bash the other side of the state line that they live less than a quarter mile from! Talk about living next to a wall.

The thing is, all these areas are REALLY close to each other, and the ghetto starts about a mile (probably less than that) east of state line, with Brookside and the Plaza areas basically being crammed into these blocks between State Line and Holmes. PV and other suburbs border the state line, with some like Roeland Park and Fairway starting about a mile west of it. The entire stretch from Metcalf to Oak or so pretty much has the same charming character, the only difference being the terrible school situation in part of this.

Plus, since you the OP don't seem that interested in Catholic schools, SMEast and its feeders are excellent. Pembroke Hill is the closest nonreligious private, but of course really expensive. Barstow is pretty far south, though I'm sure excellent as well.
What makes you think Rosedale is dangerous?

I agree with your recommending SM East's territory though as a Brookside alternative. SM East's boundaries are essentially Brookside with better schools, albeit with generally less consistently interesting architecture. Fairway and Westwood Hills have architecture exactly like Brookside, but Westwood, Prairie Village, and northern Leawood are very nice for what they are and have some fairly interesting architecture here and there.

To the OP: the SM East boundaries can be seen here:
http://www.smsd.org/parents/document...2013_Large.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City