U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,818 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am looking for information/advice regarding schools in KCMO and JOCO. My husband and I have two young daughters and would LOVE to move to Brookside. As we are all aware, the public schools are unfortunately not a feasible option. We would prefer NOT to send the girls to a parochial school and I have some doubts about Montessori. So here is my conundrum. My aunt lives in Mission Hills and has told us that if we move to Brookside we can use her address to send the girls to school in SME.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? What are the possible repercussions? I hate cheating like this, but I don't know if we have many other options if moving to Brookside. Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
If you want your kids to go to SME, you need to live in the SME area. Why would you think cheating/teaching your children to cheat is okay? If you aren't paying taxes in Kansas, you don't have a right to send your children to school in Kansas. Pay for private school if you want to live in Brookside. Some of us moved to Johnson County specifically because we wanted our kids in Shawnee Mission schools. I did precisely that in 1986 when my daughter was 1-1/2 years old because I was not going to put her in Missouri schools. Why should you be any different than the rest of us who moved to Johnson County so our kids could go to school here?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
because I was not going to put her in Missouri schools.
Why do you say "Missouri" instead of kcmo? The MO side has some great school districts (actally the MO side has more good districts than the KS side, especially when you look at the entire state of MO vs KS.

Nearly all urban cores of major metro areas have terrible public schools.

I personally moved from Brookside to a better district in Missouri and wouldn't send my kids to "Kansas" schools for nothing. I believe in science being taught in schools, not religious BS (and even the fact that it's a debate in Topeka is enough for me) and the state of Kansas seems to have a much bigger mess financially funding their schools than MO does. Once again, the entire state revolves around JoCo's demographics and tax base and so they have to subsidizes the rest of the schools in the state and theirefore joco tax payers get back much less then they put in because KS can't fund its education system, but can hand out 50 million to AMC to move across state line. I would not have even posted in this thread if it were not for the blanket MO schools statement...

Having said that, I would agree with you. I wouldn't risk trying to live in one district and send your kids to another, especially now with school districts being so cash strapped. They might come after you. There are cases all around the country where school districts are suing parents for tens of thousands for lying about residency. One was just in the news here in the DC area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,818 times
Reputation: 10
I knew I would catch some flak for this and rightly so. Can anyone recommend a good private school in the Brookside area? Does anyone have any experience with Academie Lafayette or any of the other charter schools? Do any of the private schools provide any kind of special education?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why do you say "Missouri" instead of kcmo? The MO side has some great school districts (actally the MO side has more good districts than the KS side, especially when you look at the entire state of MO vs KS.

Nearly all urban cores of major metro areas have terrible public schools.

I personally moved from Brookside to a better district in Missouri and wouldn't send my kids to "Kansas" schools for nothing. I believe in science being taught in schools, not religious BS (and even the fact that it's a debate in Topeka is enough for me) and the state of Kansas seems to have a much bigger mess financially funding their schools than MO does. Once again, the entire state revolves around JoCo's demographics and tax base and so they have to subsidizes the rest of the schools in the state and theirefore joco tax payers get back much less then they put in because KS can't fund its education system, but can hand out 50 million to AMC to move across state line. I would not have even posted in this thread if it were not for the blanket MO schools statement...

Having said that, I would agree with you. I wouldn't risk trying to live in one district and send your kids to another, especially now with school districts being so cash strapped. They might come after you. There are cases all around the country where school districts are suing parents for tens of thousands for lying about residency. One was just in the news here in the DC area.

You are right, I should have said KCMO and not all of Missouri. I did mean KCMO.

I was educated in the Shawnee Mission School District and wanted my kids to be also. My three kids graduated from Shawnee Mission East. We all got a great education! One of my kids went on to get a bachelor's and then master's degree from KU, and the other two are getting their undergrad prerequisites out of the way at Juco, then one plans to transfer to K-State (because her major isn't offered at KU) and the other isn't sure what to do yet. Nothing wrong with the Shawnee Mission School District.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpatts View Post
I knew I would catch some flak for this and rightly so. Can anyone recommend a good private school in the Brookside area? Does anyone have any experience with Academie Lafayette or any of the other charter schools? Do any of the private schools provide any kind of special education?
Pembroke Hill is where a lot of people from the Brookside area as well as Johnson County send their kids.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I believe in science being taught in schools, not religious BS (and even the fact that it's a debate in Topeka is enough for me)

Might want to reconsider recommending Missouri schools as well, then:

Quote:
In the state House of Representatives, two lawmakers have introduced a bill that would require biology textbooks sold in Missouri to include one or more chapters taking a "critical" look at evolution. The bill is currently under review by a House committee on education.
And Maryland:

Quote:
In February 2005, school officials in Cecil County voted to use a high school textbook emphasizing the importance of the theory of evolution. The decision came despite the criticisms of several Board of Education members who said students should have access to alternative theories.
And Virginia....

And since you're obviously going to have to send your kids to private schools/colleges or move from DC, you will also need to avoid:

Michigan, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, New York (where -- among other creationist bullying -- use of the word "evolution" and "dinosaur" were banned from NYC public school tests), Colorado, Illinois, Washington and Florida.

Modcut- inflamatory

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-10-2012 at 06:46 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
s.davis I know about the other states. Like I said, I kind of went off because I'm pretty sensitive to that. If I had a dollar for every time I heard somebody from JoCo say that MO schools suck... you get the idea.

luz corrected her post and I appreciate that, so I apologize for being a prick there. But seriously. Ask anybody that lives in the Northland, Lee's Summit etc and they will tell you that it gets old being labeled with having bad schools by jocoers when that's simply not the case.

If you can afford it, I would definitely go for Penbroke. That's a better school than most public schools on both sides of the line. Otherwise you are pretty limited to moving the the KS or MO side suburbs that have better schools.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Reputation: 1916
As you know, I live in Brookside/Waldo, and I send my children to an excellent public school. I know many parents whose children go to KCMO public elementary and high schools (in fact, the 2 best metro schools by most measures are Sumner in urban KCK and Lincoln Prep in the heart of KCMO's eastside). I get frustrated at the "KCMO public school are just not an option" echo chamber. They aren't the easiest option, but they are certainly an option.

There are also ample parochial schools, though I can certainly understand a person feeling trepidation about enrolling their children in religious educational institutions. Anyone who objects to ID theocracy being taught in public schools should cringe at the curriculum at St Elsewhere's. Ultimately some level of critical thinking is a necessary part of the educational process, including understanding how much of even the best educational curriculum is indoctrinary in nature, wether it's thinly veiled religion in the science book or the widespread practice of omitting labor history, American political radicalism, and state-sponsored supression from American history textbooks.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: There are also good, if expensive private school options: Barstow, Pembroke.

And yes, there are many, many excellent public schools in suburban Missouri, including fully 50% of KCMO "proper". Any one of which is easily the equal of Blue Valley or whatever new school district the JoCoers will decide is "the only option" next, after Blue Valley "gets too ghetto".

Like you, I would not ever live in Johnson County. I dislike the place for a lot of reasons, some of which are the same reasons you have, but the quality of their schools is not one of them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I get frustrated at the "KCMO public school are just not an option" echo chamber. They aren't the easiest option, but they are certainly an option.
Yea, but I do think it takes a different kind of person to deal with more urban schools. I actually wanted to stay in Brookside/Waldo, but my wife would have practically divorced me before she sent our kids to city schools (and she was a teacher in KCMOSD at the time, although a terrible part of the city, not brookside). But she is from rural MO and just does not have the same urban culture as I do. She doesn't want to put up with the hassles or take the risks with urban schools. I think most people are like her. Let the next person try to fix it. Our kids are not worth the risk...

I understand the mentality, but the only way to fix urban schools is to bring back the middle class to the districts in mass. I'm not sure that will ever work in KC where there are just not enough people willing to make the sacrifice, including us sadly.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top