U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM

22 posts, read 61,094 times

Advertisements

what are the best school districts in KCMO area? It seems everyone raves about the Kansas side (JOCO, Mission Hills etc.) However, I think the MO side is a better fit for us...help?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Haven't you already asked this question like a dozen times?

Park Hill and Lee's Summit are probably the best, but Liberty, Platte County, Smithville, NKC, Blue Springs, RayPec etc are all good to. Any district will have some better schools than others though.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Obviously...you feel you are the authority on everything and anything KCMO, but I can do with out your editorials...
Maybe I am looking for some new opinions...get over it.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibry View Post
Obviously...you feel you are the authority on everything and anything KCMO, but I can do with out your editorials...
You seem over the top concerned with schools and you have been told many times over by many people here about the good districts that ring the metro on both sides of the state line. I'm not sure how many more "opinions" you need. It sounds like you need to just move to Blue Valley so that you are confident you will have good schools according to who ever you are talking to, you would be in good company out there thinking you live in the absolute best place in the world and everything else is subpar.

BTW, you are welcome for the post below I typed up for you in one of your recent threads that you never responded to. Like I said, move to JoCo and be done with it. Get your 550k home and rave about how great the schools are. Just don't complain later because you were told by many about other options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The Kansas City metro has quite a few residential lakes. They are mostly in eastern Jackson County (around Lee’s Summit) and in Platte County (around Parkville).

Jackson County, MO:
By far the largest and most developed and most affluent is Lakewood in Lee’s Summit. While that is a very upscale area, it’s not really a recreational type lake (the homes don’t have docks etc and few boats are allowed). That’s a nice area though with most of the shores lined with very expensive homes and nice neighborhoods away from the water. Lakewood is just across I-470 from one of the more active recreational lakes in the region, Flemming Park which includes Blue Springs Lake and Lake Jacomo. You can’t live on those lakes, but they are close by for fishing, water skiing, jet skiing etc.

Another upscale lake community that also doesn’t allow larger power boats and has no residential docks is Raintree Lake in Southern Lee’s Summit. Like Lakewood, Raintree has far more homes in neighborhoods near the water vs on it because, but it's a very nice area and affluent.

Raintree is near Longview Lake (a larger recreational lake for skiiing etc).

Also in the Lee’s Summit / Blue Springs area are some smaller more traditional residential lake communities (where the homes have docks etc). These lakes have a more diverse demographic of homes ranging from more modest to very affluent. But lake living is more of a lifestyle as walking out back to a boat is part of the chosen lifestyle.

Next to Raintree is Lake Winnebago which is its own town (not part of Lee’s Summit). That community has docks and water access from the waterfront homes and is pretty affluent, but it’s more about living on the lake then living in suburban sprawl near water like Raintree and Lakewood.

These Lakes have some very pricy homes but they also have more modest homes compared to the others above. They are smaller tight community where most know each other.

Lake Lotawana is pretty affluent and has lots of very expensive homes, but also a few less expensive ones.

Lake Tapawingo is probably the most modest, but even they have some pricy homes.

Platte County, MO
The Northland area of KC is the other area with several residential lakes.

Riss Lake is very upscale like Lakewood. It’s just upscale spraw near water. Not really a lake living “lifestyle”. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but just that there is a difference.

Weatherby Lake has docks on waterfront homes and is also pretty affluent, but you can find smaller homes there.

Lake Waukomis also has docks and it seems to have a more diverse housing stock, but still like all the other lakes, there are some very expensive homes there.

Kansas:
The Kansas side is pretty limited, but there is Lake Quivira which is pretty small, but affluent. It's also isolated where the MO side lakes are near more built up areas for the most part. Homes there also have private docks so living there is defiantly a lifestyle choice as well.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,148,016 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no difference in quality of education amongst the suburban KC school districts.

Anyone who claims there is is selling something (like a house, or their own choice of a house).

Certain specific school may be a shade or 2 to either side of the bell curve, but 95% of your child's education will be identical in Blue Valley or Park Hill, or NKC or Shawnee Mission, or Liberty or Lee's Summit.

The only school districts that should give any reasonable parent pause are KCK, KCMO, Center, Hickman and the very rural schools on the exurban fringes, which tend to have surprisingly similar problems to urban schools.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,767,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
There is absolutely no difference in quality of education amongst the suburban KC school districts.

Anyone who claims there is is selling something (like a house, or their own choice of a house).

Certain specific school may be a shade or 2 to either side of the bell curve, but 95% of your child's education will be identical in Blue Valley or Park Hill, or NKC or Shawnee Mission, or Liberty or Lee's Summit.

The only school districts that should give any reasonable parent pause are KCK, KCMO, Center, Hickman and the very rural schools on the exurban fringes, which tend to have surprisingly similar problems to urban schools.
I wouldn't say "no difference" but you can get a good education in most any suburban district.

I do take exception to your last statement. I don't think you can put, say, Grain Valley or Kearney in the same basket as KCMO schools. But I'd be interested in your rationale.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,222,457 times
Quote:
When you say things like this I wonder if you're honestly just a troll attempting to stir up debate. If you want facts and only facts look at the test scores and make your own decision (which would be unwise given the state line aspect). Otherwise, editorializing seems to be precisely what you're looking for, is it not?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM

677 posts, read 1,146,764 times
I agree with the sentiment of s.davis and Okey Dokie You can get a good education in just about any district (yes even KCMO, shocking!).

I would understand the obsession over school districts if you had a specific need: a kid with special needs or one who was interested in a particular activity or educational emphasis that isn't available at all schools.

I believe that the quality of education and the overall success of a child is 95% based on their parents and home life. Some of the most successful, well-rounded people I know are products of KCMO public schools, while I know numerous people who attended the top private schools and the "best" suburban school districts who are floundering about aimlessly approaching their 30s.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post

I would disagree, based on fairly extensive personal professional experience. I work in the field of education, in a very particular position where I work closely WITH a huge range of metro and surrounding area public school districts on eiher side of the state line, but not FOR any of them. The quality of education most certainly varies district to district, school to school, etc. I would definitely NOT say that education is identical across districts/schools. Comparable, sure, but not identical, and much will depend on one's children's particular needs, as well.

That said, honestly, the best indicator of academic success lies in parental attitudes and involvement, and the mentality/attitude toward learning that is fostered and reinforced in the home. Students whose home life is such that education is prioritized are likely to thrive no matter the district. Those where that's not the case will have a harder row to hoe, no matter how stable and quality of teaching staff the district can afford, and how many bells and whistles the district provides. Some districts are on better financial footing to provide for a more consistent roster of quality educators and extra amenities, and that's great, obviously, but students who are well-prepped to learn and to value learning will learn wherever they are.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
When you say things like this I wonder if you're honestly just a troll attempting to stir up debate. If you want facts and only facts look at the test scores and make your own decision (which would be unwise given the state line aspect). Otherwise, editorializing seems to be precisely what you're looking for, is it not?
yes...editorial on the school districts...not on what and how often things are posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or