U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM

9,350 posts, read 8,742,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah yes, more insults....and you can't figure out why we send PM's instead of risking attracting you to these threads and having to hear your same old rants and insults...
Mathguy, You are correct that KCMO has a personal gripe; and it must be with someone who lives, or did live, in Johnson County, KS. Someday he may make peace with his anger and resentment; in the meantime he needs to cease his relentless practice of insulting those who enjoy living in JOCO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Mathguy, You are correct that KCMO has a personal gripe; and it must be with someone who lives, or did live, in Johnson County, KS. Someday he may make peace with his anger and resentment; in the meantime he needs to cease his relentless practice of insulting those who enjoy living in JOCO.
wrong. try again

I simply have always passionately supported kcmo's progress and joco is one of the most notoriously anti core city large suburbs I have seen any place in the country. At times it seems like the county is nothing more than kcmo's greatest enemy, which is sad because like most large suburban counties, JoCo owes most of its existence to its core city which happens to be kcmo.

You will hear lots of people say the "schools are better" better than what schools? There are probably more good school district choices on the MO side than the KS side. But people in JoCo always assign the relatively small and urban KCMOSD to the entire MO side.

Same with crime. You will hear "the KS side has less crime than the MO side". That's vague. JoCo does have less crime than KCMO's east side, but Lee's Summit and Downtown KCMO have less crime than many parts of JoCo and certainly less crime than KCK's Quindaro section.

You will hear "stay out of kcmo city limits". Now that's total BS. KCMO has many thriving city neighborhoods and the fastest growing suburban area of the entire metro area (including the KS side) Shoal Creek which is in the city limits of KCMO.

I have always said that the day JoCo truly gets on the same page with the rest of the metro is the day that the KC area as a whole will go to the next level. Till then KC will continue to be one of the most fragmented and unfocused metros in the country and no matter what KCMO does with its core, it will always be putting most of its effort fending off JoCo vs competing with Denver and Dallas.

Metro KC has two large core counties and they can't even get a decent city bus route between them and the one that is always being difficult is JoCo.

Kind of hard to support that.

Back on topic.

I have posted all kinds of comprehensive threads about the metro area's suburbs, city neighborhoods etc. But it will always be an uphill battle because most people coming to KC have already been told that JoCo is the place to be! People in other parts of the metro need to speak up more I guess, but they generally don't have the "joco attitude" that such action requires . They are more passive.

People eventually figure it out. While JoCo is the largest importer of new residents to metro KC, the county exports tons of people to other counties in the metro. So often people initially move to JoCo (because everybody told them to) and then move to another part of the metro after getting to know the area on their own.

JoCo is a nice suburb and many people move there and really like it. But it's far from the only nice place in KC to live and other parts of the metro offer things that JoCo simply does not.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-21-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I'm an Illinois native, too, who has been living in the KC metro for the past five years (I'm from north of Decatur, but similar smaller/rural vibe). If suburbs are your thing, I wouldn't buy the hype that Johnson County is the place to be (and I'm an educational professional who is well-versed in the ins and outs of the metro school districts...Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission are good districts, but so are Park Hill, Lee's Summit, Liberty, etc.).

If you like something a little less "suburb-y" feeling, you may do well to expand beyond the "You HAVE to live in Overland Park" advice you're likely to get from certain fronts. I am back in the urban core, now, but I thoroughly enjoyed the three years I lived in Lee's Summit, and found that, at least in my part of town (off the historic downtown), it retained that smaller town vibe, while still having convenient amenities accessible. And minimal stucco. PM me if you want any additional feedback or my experience as a transplant, or more detail on various neighborhoods and communities. Due to my work, I have experience with quite a few.

Johnson County is fine, and there are those who like it a great deal. But it's often presented as "the only option," and that's B.S.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:57 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
If I were you I'd look at:

A) the charming inner-ring suburbs on the Kansas side like Fairway, Westwood, Prairie Village and Leawood, which is still Johnson County but with older, charming homes and an easy drive to everything the city core has to offer.

B) North of the river in a place like Parkville that has an adorable downtown and lovely historic homes

C) Lee's Summit, which I do kow less about as a whole but also has well-priced housing stock and a cute, walkable little downtown area.

Schools in the Kansas City Missouri School District leave a lot to be desired, but if you're willing to look into alternatives, including parochial, I suspect you could be quite happy in a neighborhood like Brookside which really offers the absolute best experience when it comes to owning a lovely home and being walkable to shops and restaurants.

Also, sorry you walked into this big drama, but I'm not surprised. Sending someone a private message for no real reason is pretty odd forum etiquette and I'm not surprised Mathguy was a) called on it and then bmodcut- inflamatory) Some people just like to argue. KCMO's advice, as usual, was very very good.

Best of luck and feel free to come back and ask follow-up questions as you have them!

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-22-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 PM

48,912 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm an Illinois native, too, who has been living in the KC metro for the past five years (I'm from north of Decatur, but similar smaller/rural vibe). If suburbs are your thing, I wouldn't buy the hype that Johnson County is the place to be (and I'm an educational professional who is well-versed in the ins and outs of the metro school districts...Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission are good districts, but so are Park Hill, Lee's Summit, Liberty, etc.).

If you like something a little less "suburb-y" feeling, you may do well to expand beyond the "You HAVE to live in Overland Park" advice you're likely to get from certain fronts. I am back in the urban core, now, but I thoroughly enjoyed the three years I lived in Lee's Summit, and found that, at least in my part of town (off the historic downtown), it retained that smaller town vibe, while still having convenient amenities accessible. And minimal stucco. PM me if you want any additional feedback or my experience as a transplant, or more detail on various neighborhoods and communities. Due to my work, I have experience with quite a few.

Johnson County is fine, and there are those who like it a great deal. But it's often presented as "the only option," and that's B.S.
This is a great post. Without having to resort to insults and trashing other areas.

However, OMG you suggested someone PM you which is some sort of taboo in this forum per our resident stalker...

Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 PM

48,912 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If I were you I'd look at:

A) the charming inner-ring suburbs on the Kansas side like Fairway, Westwood, Prairie Village and Leawood, which is still Johnson County but with older, charming homes and an easy drive to everything the city core has to offer.

B) North of the river in a place like Parkville that has an adorable downtown and lovely historic homes

C) Lee's Summit, which I do kow less about as a whole but also has well-priced housing stock and a cute, walkable little downtown area.

Schools in the Kansas City Missouri School District leave a lot to be desired, but if you're willing to look into alternatives, including parochial, I suspect you could be quite happy in a neighborhood like Brookside which really offers the absolute best experience when it comes to owning a lovely home and being walkable to shops and restaurants.

Also, sorry you walked into this big drama, but I'm not surprised. Sending someone a private message for no real reason is pretty odd forum etiquette and I'm not surprised Mathguy was a) called on it and then b) acted like a big ol' baby about it. Some people just like to argue. KCMO's advice, as usual, was very very good.

Best of luck and feel free to come back and ask follow-up questions as you have them!
How much do those private schools cost a year? Please note the thread was moved to this forum and kcmo's comments were edited. You wonder why we want to send PM's on the KS forum when we get constantly attacked by some posters and just want to answer the posters questions about an area?

You also didn't mention crime....or the mafia presence in parkville....or the gang problems or the serial rapist that got caught not too long ago.

I mean, since we all just want to help the poster and all, we should be honest about the area right?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,059,340 times
I'm just an observer, having a daughter who is currently living in Brookside, working as a teacher in the Shawnee Mission School District (a school facing a lot of socio-economic challenges), and who went to high school at Blue Valley. A lot of the attitudes expressed on the KC forum is what I've seen and heard from my daughter's experiences. I guess I just want to say I think the whole KC metro/suburb area has so much to offer for every lifestyle on both sides of the state line, and it's such an underrated city. I am always in awe when I come down to visit. I'm originally from southern California and lived in an area with some of the same issues, but not to the extent that KC seems to have.

Last edited by ennaf; 09-25-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or