U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband has been promoted with his company so we are moving to kansas city area. I have never been to the area so I am feeling a bit of anxiety! We are currently from Decatur, Illinois. We are both born and raised here. We have 2 children so schools are important. So many people have told us that Johnson County is the place to be. I have spent a lot of time looking at real estate in Oleathe, Overland Park and Lenexa areas. Oleathe real estate seems a bit less expensive but everything looks like stucco type homes? I like the traditional Midwest home look better. My husband just started working in Kansas and many people have told him that overland park is very uppity? We will make a good living and be looking for homes in the 250 to 300000 range but we are by no means rich. I would love to hear peoples thoughts on where we should buy? My husbands company is on the Kansas side but commuting is really a non issue as he will only have to go into the office 1 a week. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM

3,625 posts, read 6,759,161 times
repost under Kansas City in Missouri forum.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,048 times
Thanks!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
I sent you a private message with my 2 cents. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
I always find it funny when people post that they sent a "private" message.

Here is my "private" message. Everybody err ks side people.... will no doubt say that johnson county is the only place to live in KC. But that's simply not the case at all. JoCo is simply another option and if you are new to the area and are not going to be tied to a commute, you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not looking at the entire metro area which offers a lot of lifestyles that are not available in JoCo.

Lee's Summit, Northland, Brookside or even more urban areas Kansas City, MO etc. There is so much more to KC than Overland Park. God I hope so anyway. If you settle in JoCo, good for you and I hope you really like it. But check out the entire metro. You might find something that fits you better and ignore the joco folk that tell you the best place in metro KC is JoCo because people that closed minded about KC are not very good people to be talking to right now anyway.

You need to talk to people that have a clue about the entire metro of over 2 million people. That way at least if you do choose joco in the end, you might not turn out to be one of the morons that says the only place to live in KC is JoCo because you know something about the city outside of joco. You can say, there are lots and lots of really nice areas to live in metro kc. It really depends on your lifestyle. Do you want more space?, do you want more house for the money?, do you want to live on or near water? Do you want to be in a walkable or urban area? Do you want to live deep in an affluent area away from others? Do you want historic or more charming housing architecture? Do you want a more "uppity" area or more "down to earth" area? How far do you want to commute? Do you want a sense of community or is standard sprawl ok with you? Do you want to be near the airport? Do you want trees or lots of grass? Do you need high end shopping nearby? Do you want new construction? How close to culture do you want to be? etc etc. You can find much of this on both sides of the state line, but much will be limited to specific areas of the metro.

Again, JoCo should only be an option as you initially research and enter the metro area.

Good luck.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-20-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Here is my "private" message. Everybody err ks side people.... will no doubt say that johnson county is the only place to live in KC. But that's simply not the case at all. JoCo is simply another option and if you are new to the area and are not going to be tied to a commute, you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not looking at the entire metro area which offers a lot of lifestyles that are not available in JoCo. Lee's Summit, Northland, Brookside or even more urban areas Kansas City, MO etc. There is so much more to KC than Overland Park. God I hope so anyway. If you settle in JoCo, good for you and I hope you really like it. But check out the entire metro. You might find something that fits you better and ignore the joco folk that tell you the best place in metro KC is JoCo because people that closed minded about KC are not very good people to be talking to right now anyway. You need to talk to people that have a clue about the entire metro of over 2 million people.

Good luck.
I find it funny that you have to make a snarky comment directed at me, because I shared specifics about my own back story with the poster seeing how we are both IL natives....info I don't want to publically broadcast.

I look at your post and fail to see any real attempt to help them, just a vague rant with some backhanded comments thrown in.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
It wasn't really directed at you, but at the forum as a whole. Lots of people do it and I do kind of find it silly.

I gave great advice.

Look at the entire metro. Many people new to KC are pushed to JoCo and many regret it later. Many don't. But it's difficult to move to KC and not be fed a ton of BS from those that live there about the rest of the metro that the newcomer often won't learn is BS till a few years later unless they become brainwashed and ignorant like so many others that will be around them if they do move to JoCo…

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It wasn't really directed at you, but at the forum as a whole. Lots of people do it and I do kind of find it silly.

I gave great advice.

Look at the entire metro. Many people new to KC are pushed to JoCo and many regret it later. Many don't. But it's difficult to move to KC and not be fed a ton of BS from those that live there about the rest of the metro that the newcomer often won't learn is BS till a few years later unless they become brainwashed and ignorant like so many others that will be around them if they do move to JoCo…
Ah yes, more insults....and you can't figure out why we send PM's instead of risking attracting you to these threads and having to hear your same old rants and insults...

Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
Quote:

Here is my "private" message. Everybody err ks side people.... will no doubt say that johnson county is the only place to live in KC. But that's simply not the case at all. JoCo is simply another option and if you are new to the area and are not going to be tied to a commute, you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not looking at the entire metro area which offers a lot of lifestyles that are not available in JoCo.

Lee's Summit, Northland, Brookside or even more urban areas Kansas City, MO etc. There is so much more to KC than Overland Park. God I hope so anyway. If you settle in JoCo, good for you and I hope you really like it. But check out the entire metro. You might find something that fits you better and ignore the joco folk that tell you the best place in metro KC is JoCo because people that closed minded about KC are not very good people to be talking to right now anyway.

You need to talk to people that have a clue about the entire metro of over 2 million people. That way at least if you do choose joco in the end, you might not turn out to be one of the morons that says the only place to live in KC is JoCo because you know something about the city outside of joco. You can say, there are lots and lots of really nice areas to live in metro kc. It really depends on your lifestyle. Do you want more space?, do you want more house for the money?, do you want to live on or near water? Do you want to be in a walkable or urban area? Do you want to live deep in an affluent area away from others? Do you want historic or more charming housing architecture? Do you want a more "uppity" area or more "down to earth" area? How far do you want to commute? Do you want a sense of community or is standard sprawl ok with you? Do you want to be near the airport? Do you want trees or lots of grass? Do you need high end shopping nearby? Do you want new construction? How close to culture do you want to be? etc etc. You can find much of this on both sides of the state line, but much will be limited to specific areas of the metro.

Again, JoCo should only be an option as you initially research and enter the metro area.

Good luck.
As someone who moved here from elsewhere, has always lived in the urban core, and is relatively biased towards that small swath of KC, this is about the best and most even-handed response I've seen on this forum. This is a big city with loads of options, Johnson County itself is fairly different from one end to the other and could provide a host of different possible living options, but it is about a quarter of metro KC, and you would do yourself a disservice to write off the other 75%, much of which is very comparable to Johnson County, and some of which offers quite a bit different lifestyle.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
This is a big city with loads of options, Johnson County itself is fairly different from one end to the other and could provide a host of different possible living options, but it is about a quarter of metro KC, and you would do yourself a disservice to write off the other 75%, much of which is very comparable to Johnson County, and some of which offers quite a bit different lifestyle.
I agree. In fact, my PM to the person described the various areas that they'd asked about and I made some of the same points...including some of the negative aspects of blah mass housing and snobs.

Having never lived in Blue Springs etc. it would be nice if someone that knows an area like that or another of the areas on the MO side of things would describe some alternative areas to benefit the OP in their search.

I mean, "look in other areas" is a nice sentiment but it sure seems like the OP could use a little more detail.

Granted, if you want to describe your living arrangement, where your kids go to school or other aspects you might want to keep that to a private exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or