U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM

266 posts, read 472,704 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've been making a lot of changes to my life recently, including some of the people I hang around, as in, I'm making changes to myself, and not fleeing and running to another city (at least not now or for another few years). Not going to bars as much, kinda chilling down, as I don't like that I can't actually talk to people in a loud crowded setting like that anyway. One thing I'm considering is church, though I haven't been raised all that religiously.

As far as I can tell, not all Christians and churches are the same. I'm looking for one that is semi-large (had really awkward experiences with small churches), not homophobic, and somewhat open minded in general. I have met Christians that were open minded and tolerant, and I have also met some that took every word literally and did all they could to condemn me when I disagreed with them on a few small things, this was after they were big time sinners themselves they were very judgemental. Unfortunately I think the second type has become the stereotype of ALL Christians, when that is clearly not the case.

A couple candidates I've been thinking about:

- Antioch Church. I attended something there and there appeared to be quite a few guys one could tell were gay, as well as a few hipsters. Possible win?

- Church of the Resurrection. This church is MASSIVE, yet I don't know much about their views. Some of the people I found to be unfriendly however.

I am not really familiar with the Catholic scene, though I know several Catholic gay guys that seem to not have run into issues with their churches. Weird that I don't know anything however as half my family is Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
I would look into United Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, United Methodist, and Evangelical Lutheran (non Missouri synod) churches, they are the most liberal christian churches in the US. There are also many liberal Catholic congregations and clergymen (though the church as an institutional is very conservative, increasingly so, and also increasingly involved in American political machinations). Also there are Universalists and Unitarians who are arguably not even christian, and have very liberal religious and cultural views.

Than there are non christian options (since you said church, I assumed you meant christian). Many reformed Jewish congregations are very liberal, and there are buddhist temples in KC as well.

I don't go to church, so I can't recommend one personally, but I would start with the known liberal denominations if I was looking for a liberal christian perspective.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,946,004 times
Unity is headquartered in Kansas City you might check on branches in Johnson County. It has been too many years for me to identify where they are any longer but I'm sure there are some. I use ot go to the one on the Plaza as well as Unity Village in Lees Summit.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I'm ELCA Lutheran (not Missouri Synod/LCMS, which is a branch of Lutheranism that is notably more evangelical and conservative). The ELCA is fairly liberal, as churches go, and cool with gay congregants (and increasingly cool with gay clergy). ELCA Lutheran churches are harder to come by in the metro than LCMS ones are, but they are out there, and there are several in Johnson County, variety of sizes.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 AM

414 posts, read 743,950 times
I saw the Unitarians were mentioned earlier and that you aren't very religious. They have Sunday Services in the Plaza and are geared toward public involvement, developing a community and local outreach.

All Souls | Unitarian Universalist- Kansas City

They are a bit too deisty from my point of view but if you aren't that religious, as you stated, it is a good place to go if you don't want to be committing yourself to a particular religious dogma. You will find many atheists/agnostics there, so if your faith makes that uncomfortable for you, I'd recommend against it. Though, they are some of the most interesting conversationalists

Good luck in finding a community that gets you where you want to be!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM

266 posts, read 472,704 times
Well I tried out Antioch and Westside. Both pastors had more of a positive "faith, hope, action" type message and didn't bring up anything remotely homophobic, but of course I'd need to attend more to know what's going on with that.

Looking for a somewhat "normal" but modern church(es) that caters to young people like myself. I felt okay with these first two but I'm open to looking at other things as well. Unity and Unitarian seem a bit out there, probably good places but not quite exactly what I'm looking for.

This is a social thing (getting the trashy people out of my life and replacing them with better people), though I feel the bible is a source of good information, though I don't interpret the cliche stories literally, but I think those stories are good metaphors for something real and legitimate, and a good window into early Man. With the smaller churches I tried out, I ran into too many that took every word literally and weren't open to any interpretation or insight beyond that.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
I saw the Unitarians were mentioned earlier and that you aren't very religious. They have Sunday Services in the Plaza and are geared toward public involvement, developing a community and local outreach.

All Souls | Unitarian Universalist- Kansas City

They are a bit too deisty from my point of view but if you aren't that religious, as you stated, it is a good place to go if you don't want to be committing yourself to a particular religious dogma. You will find many atheists/agnostics there, so if your faith makes that uncomfortable for you, I'd recommend against it. Though, they are some of the most interesting conversationalists

Good luck in finding a community that gets you where you want to be!
I like All Souls, have attended there on occasion and performed there before with diff ensembles, as well as gone to community events hosted there. My only observation with UU churches, All Souls included, is that it's very academic...which is very interesting, but to me, it's more like going to a really interesting liberal arts lecture than a spiritual experience. For some, this is a huge selling point. For me, while I do appreciate the the service, it means a little bit of what I'm looking for is missing. But, I have no issue with hanging out with atheists or agnostics, so that's cool. It just isn't so much the churchlike experience I get the most out of.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:58 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,432,837 times
Jason, check out some of these very recent messages from Church of the Resurrection, and I think you will get an idea whether Adam Hamilton's messages are along the lines of what you are searching for!! Some provocative topics.

Church of the Resurrection : Show : Wrestling with the Bible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City