U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times

Advertisements

Cerner accelerates construction near Kansas Speedway - KansasCity.com

This is an amazing project, not only for KCK, but the entire KC metro and the state of Kansas.

Upon reading this update, I just realized how significant this is for KCK and Wyandotte County in a way I hadn't before. When the 4000 jobs become reality, that will make Cerner KCK's largest private employer, and I believe second largest overall, after the University of Kansas Hospital and Medical Center, and right up there with the employment count at the GM plant. That's HUGE, especially for a city and county that only in recent years has emerged from being totally down and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Nice. Hopefully Cerner fills them up quickly so they can move on to the Bannister site and do something there. That is such a high profile and visible part of KC and it just looks terrible now. It's nice that KCK is building some suburban stuff, but I still can't help but think how much better this would have been had it replaced blight in an established part of the metro with existing infrastructure vs walking away from that after tearing down the mall and building on green space far from anything established and building new infrastructure.

I'm just not a fan of subsidized exurban sprawl when KC has so much blight and decay in the metro area including KCK.

Regardless, of the disastrous urban planning aspect of all this, it's great to see a KC company thriving.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Its going up really fast, there is a lot of progress every week.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 AM

149 posts, read 224,535 times
good to hear that the west end is doing good but what does the east end look like
Is indian spriings still sitting there?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Is good to hear the 4000 new hire goal as last I heard it was 2000. But that is a requirement by KS to get the tax breaks, so if they don't hire that many, it could be a move of employees from MO. Either way, it does sound like Cerner is still on a major hiring binge, which is good for the metro no matter how you slice it. I hope they run out of KCK office space soon after and end up leasing downtown space eventually. A large chunk of downtown area population is Cerner employees.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving46 View Post
good to hear that the west end is doing good but what does the east end look like
Is indian spriings still sitting there?
It's not a yuppie utopia, but inner KCK has made improvements. Do your research and you might learn something. There are a ton of great housing developments, including new condominium townhouses in Strawberry Hill. A few restaurants have opened in recent years as wel in Strawberry Hilll, including Feltiza's, the cousin restaurant to Brookside's Carmen Cafe. But as for the obvious, the KU Med area has seen several developments in the past several years, perhaps the most significant of which is the urbanization of 39th and Rainbow, including a hotel, offices, and Five Guys restaurant. Two new transit centers have broken ground, one downtown and one at Indian Springs. The transit plaza at Indian Springs will also have a building housing the KCKPD's Midtown Patrol and offices for the Leavenworth Agency on Aging, as well as a community event center. Minnesota Ave and 7th St are being reconfigured and landscaped downtown as part of that location's transit center. All of the former is in preparation for the new State Ave Connex bus service. State Ave has been landscaped/beautified between Indian Springs and KCKCC, also coinciding with preparation of the new transit corridor. A new library is scheduled to open September 26th in 'downtown' Argentine. A new grocery store is in the works for Argentine, as well. And a bit westward, but Wyandotte Plaza is about begin renovation and a new, larger, nicer Price Chopper will be built. On top of all that, Hispanic immigrants have enlivened many corridors in inner KCK with stores and restaurants, as well as have renovated homes and reinvigorated neighborhoods and schools. They provide there own sort of 'gentrification' within the community. A new community center is being built at Donnelly College (inner KCK's Catholic college). Many great things are going on in inner KCK.

Besides the Cerner complex out west, a new suburban apartment complex is being built.

New Apartment Complex Set for Wyandotte County | fox4kc.com

Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Nice. Hopefully Cerner fills them up quickly so they can move on to the Bannister site and do something there. That is such a high profile and visible part of KC and it just looks terrible now. It's nice that KCK is building some suburban stuff, but I still can't help but think how much better this would have been had it replaced blight in an established part of the metro with existing infrastructure vs walking away from that after tearing down the mall and building on green space far from anything established and building new infrastructure.

I'm just not a fan of subsidized exurban sprawl when KC has so much blight and decay in the metro area including KCK.

Regardless, of the disastrous urban planning aspect of all this, it's great to see a KC company thriving.
KCK is really not that bad. Every neighborhood in inner KCK even signed up for Google Fiber. But I was telling a friend I'm looking forward to Cerner's presence at Bannister as well. I think it's great Cerner has intentions of helping out down and out areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Is good to hear the 4000 new hire goal as last I heard it was 2000. But that is a requirement by KS to get the tax breaks, so if they don't hire that many, it could be a move of employees from MO. Either way, it does sound like Cerner is still on a major hiring binge, which is good for the metro no matter how you slice it. I hope they run out of KCK office space soon after and end up leasing downtown space eventually. A large chunk of downtown area population is Cerner employees.
Selfish much? KCK has been long deprived. KCMO doesn't need those jobs as bad.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM

Wow mokan, glass is well over half full there. I understand you have a lot of pride for KCK and that's awesome. But sometimes you have to step back and be hard on a place once in a while.

I was EXTREMELY hard on kcmo in the 1990's. I was just ripping into the city like there was no tomorrow. Getting editorials posted in the KC Star (including many guest columns), letters to the mayors, involvement in community grass roots organizations etc. And the whole time I didn't let up. KCMO was just getting hammered by nearly every other city in the country at the time and whatever KCMO was doing at the time just was not good enough. I constantly wanted to move to a city that was doing more than building suburban office parks and wasn't shy about it.

I could have pointed to the Jazz District and the Zoo expansion, which I supported, and said, look, KCMO is doing fine, there are things going on.

But I didn't. While I supported those projects and others, KCMO was so far behind and had such a long list of things it needed to do just to get where most cities were in 1985. KCMO needed lots of people to get mad and get the city seriously going again.

Now KCMO has really come a long way and while there is much work that still needs to be done and KC is still a bit behind in many aspects, it has seriously closed the gap.

Now KCK is in the same boat. Sure, the little hotel and five guys at KU is nice, but really, big deal. That's a major university research center and hospital. It's actually nearly mind boggling that the area isn't thriving with all kinds of stuff like that without any help from KCK.

KCK is a city of 150,000. It has a thriving industrial tax base and decent demographics. It's not East StL or Camden with 40k residents and a bombed out city full of crack heads. It should be able to do a LOT more than what its done and it has proven that it can. How many hundreds of millions now have been spent on the rural areas of the city near or west of 435? A few new homes in strawberry hill isn't cutting it. Transit centers at Indian Springs? What the hell is the point? There is nothing there. They are building a new apartment complex that is nearly in the city limits of Bonner Springs. Come on that would be like KCMO getting excited about an apartment complex near platte city.

I have always liked KCK because the potential there is enormous. Despite the overall poor demographics there, that city could be one hell of an urban companion to KCMO today had the city simply put just a little more effort into the actual city and less effort in building a brand new suburb with some of the most absurd tax incentives ever used in any greenfield development you will see anywhere in the country. It's obvious that this is what KCK will continue to do though. With all the tax breaks etc going to all developers out west, I wouldn't be surprised if KCK is actually worse off now then they were ten years ago because they lost the EPA which was not being star bonded or tiffed.

Why is the face of KCK village west anyway. Zona Rosa is not really what people think of when they think of KCMO. Zona Rosa is basically a suburb. Village West may as well be in the bonner springs city limits, it would make no difference.

The city could do so much more. The entire drive across KCK (via 70, state ave, etc) from kcmo to the speedway is depressing. Just knowing that the city could be a different place today is irritating and knowing that the cerner complex was originally slated for a redevelopment project makes is even more so. Had Cerner done something in the actual city of kck (not its is rural hinterlands) than I would have zero problems with them walking away from Bannister.

KCMO had plenty of excuses as to why they dropped the ball so many times in the 80's, 90's etc. I've heard them all so KCK's excuses do little for me. Time to step it up. If you can build what they did west of 435 in ten years, you can't tell me that they couldn't have done more with the existing parts of the city too.

Would KCMO be praised for building zona rosa with star bonds (zona rosa is not subsidized) if KCMO's downtown still looked like it did in 1990? Not a chance. But for some reason KCK gets a pass and is even often looked at as doing better than KCMO by many area residents which is absolutely crazy. People rip on kcmo for using tax money to rebuild ten blocks of downtown, but say nothing about the far more amount of tax money used to build big box stores on farmland halfway to Lawrence in kck while they prepare to mothball the only large office building they have in downtown.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-21-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,759,161 times
I must have been living in Oklahoma when this all started, so forgive my ignorance. Is Cerner going to keep their offices in North Kansas City as well when the KCK office is done?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I must have been living in Oklahoma when this all started, so forgive my ignorance. Is Cerner going to keep their offices in North Kansas City as well when the KCK office is done?
yea, the kck complex is basically higher class call center from what I have heard. Cerner says they will be expanding beyond kck as well. Hopefully they resurrect the mess they left behind at bannister and get something started there or they go to urban kcmo or kck. Unless they don't want incentives then build away on green space.

I can see JoCo snagging their next major project though. With PEAK incentives and Star bonds, it would be tough for Cerner to say no to a brand new office park in an affluent suburban area nearly for free.

Come to think of it, Cerner may be setting itself up for some nice bistate movement back and forth across the state line to take advantage of the "new jobs" incentives that both states offer. Why not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or