U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times

Advertisements

I thought Olathe was the place to be in KS but have recently met two people that said their kids have been laid off and are having trouble finding work there. I know Sprint used to be big there but now, when I call Sprint, it seems I get "Sprint -India" and I know they had cut back years ago. I know that Garmin is big. I have wondered if in time Olathe will be the "Wichita" of the northeast as I remember it used to be that Wichita was the city to go to if you wanted a job, then I heard it was the city to go to if you wanted to buy boats, rvs, etc. cheaply because of layoffs. So, anyone familiar with what is going on in Olathe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM

220 posts, read 359,474 times
Olathe is an extension of Kansas City, it's a down economy so unemployment rates everywhere is high.

Wichita lived and died by Boeing, Kansas City is a lot more diversified so you can't really even compare the two. KC will be fine, it's struggling with the recession just like every other major city in the US is right now but it will recover with everyone else too.

Who told you Olathe was the place to be in Kansas? It's not a bad community by any means, but there are equal or better ones surrounding it.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Olathe is an extension of Kansas City, it's a down economy so unemployment rates everywhere is high.

Wichita lived and died by Boeing, Kansas City is a lot more diversified so you can't really even compare the two. KC will be fine, it's struggling with the recession just like every other major city in the US is right now but it will recover with everyone else too.

Who told you Olathe was the place to be in Kansas? It's not a bad community by any means, but there are equal or better ones surrounding it.
Olathe was the fastest growing city in the area for some time.

A while ago, stats showed that if it weren't for the Kansas side producing a net increase in jobs, the Kansas City area would have seen a total loss. The Missouri side had seen a net loss in jobs. Even so, that doesn't necessarily mean new jobs weren't coming online on the Missouri side. There just weren't enough to replace jobs being hemorrhaged. At any rate, it seems the Kansas side economy is doing okay, especially for these times, despite being attached to Kansas City. Kansas side job growth was much closer to the national average, at 1.1%, the NA being 1.4%.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/27...tro-areas.html

Which communities are best depends on the person concerned. Some people fit in better with Olathe than they would with Southern OP or Leawood, while others might prefer a more small-town atmosphere closer to the countryside, in places such as Gardner, Edgerton, Spring Hill, etc. Olathe is more diverse, especially socio-economically, and in terms of blue collar vs white collar.

Last edited by MOKAN; 10-03-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Olathe? What's in Olathe besides service jobs, call centers and Garmin?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Olathe? What's in Olathe besides service jobs, call centers and Garmin?
There are a ton of jobs in Olathe, or at least the immediate Olathe area. I'm unsure about the city limits. But there are a ton of jobs along I-35 from Shawnee to Gardner. Intermediate jobs at that, those that provide those in most need of decent employment. The gap between poor and high earners. That middle gap that is talked about in politics. Not everybody is, nor will be, a high-earning white-collar professional, but those jobs are nearby in OP. I'm talking business parks with with attached warehouse and office operations, but also hospitals, local government, and yes, Garmin. If you want to look for areas with the fewest jobs, look at the Missouri suburbs.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
There are a ton of jobs in Olathe, or at least the immediate Olathe area. I'm unsure about the city limits. But there are a ton of jobs along I-35 from Shawnee to Gardner. Intermediate jobs at that, those that provide those in most need of decent employment. The gap between poor and high earners. That middle gap that is talked about in politics. Not everybody is, nor will be, a high-earning white-collar professional, but those jobs are nearby in OP. I'm talking business parks with with attached warehouse and office operations, but also hospitals, local government, and yes, Garmin. If you want to look for areas with the fewest jobs, look at the Missouri suburbs.
Yea, I know, I was being a little facetious, but just never really heard of anybody saying that Olathe is the place to be for anything. I think the OP was probably thinking of Overland Park (where Sprint is). Besides, he is trying to compare a suburb of a major city to a mid sized stand alone city (Wichita) which I’m not really following.

I’m sure Olathe has seen quite a few layoffs, just like every other city/suburb in the country over the past several years. But as you say, they have a pretty diverse employment base (lots of working class). If anything Garmen may be the biggest threat for layoffs there as they are having a time keeping customers now that everybody has a GPS device built into their phone.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, I know, I was being a little facetious, but just never really heard of anybody saying that Olathe is the place to be for anything. I think the OP was probably thinking of Overland Park (where Sprint is). Besides, he is trying to compare a suburb of a major city to a mid sized stand alone city (Wichita) which I’m not really following.

I’m sure Olathe has seen quite a few layoffs, just like every other city/suburb in the country over the past several years. But as you say, they have a pretty diverse employment base (lots of working class). If anything Garmen may be the biggest threat for layoffs there as they are having a time keeping customers now that everybody has a GPS device built into their phone.
Olathe is a great place to be for a middle-of-the-road average person or family who has to work and wants a decent community. I believe the OP was probably actually referring to Olathe. Some people know the real effect when hearing of layoffs at an employer some might consider rather mundane because it is below their status. A middle-of-the-road person losing that $30K warehouse or clerical accounting job hurts them. Many have to start over on the pay scale at $10-$12 once they find another opportunity, and they may not have much money saved up to fall back on inbetween jobs. Just because a company isn't a big name, large, and with a lot of high paying jobs, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. JoCo probably trumps Wichita, but they are similar enough in population. Urbanism and metropolitanism are largely bourgeois/yuppie endeavors. Honestly, most average people don't think like you or even I do. JoCo, whether urban or suburban or part of a metro, is a distinct place and major jobs center, so to some it's just a place all of it's own and all those technicalities don't matter. Sometimes I think it is the upper-middle class/white-collar crowd (who have a lot of sway in trends in politics) who are out of touch, and not necessarily the rich.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 AM

I could definitely see someone saying JoCo in general is the place to be in Kansas for jobs (or anything really), but Olathe specifically? Pass. There's a giant stream of cars on I-35 every morning heading downtown to the IRS building, the Fed building, H&R Block, DST, Cerner, etc. It's just a suburb, not a job mecca.

A lot of the MO jobs lost have simply moved to the Kansas side when the company moved to new facilities across the state line, so the numbers are misleading. They can claim a job was created in Kansas, and one lost in Missouri, but the reality is no job was ever created or position opened for a new employment opportunity, someone now just works on the other side of the state line.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Olathe is a great place to be for a middle-of-the-road average person or family who has to work and wants a decent community. I believe the OP was probably actually referring to Olathe. Some people know the real effect when hearing of layoffs at an employer some might consider rather mundane because it is below their status. A middle-of-the-road person losing that $30K warehouse or clerical accounting job hurts them. Many have to start over on the pay scale at $10-$12 once they find another opportunity, and they may not have much money saved up to fall back on inbetween jobs. Just because a company isn't a big name, large, and with a lot of high paying jobs, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. JoCo probably trumps Wichita, but they are similar enough in population. Urbanism and metropolitanism are largely bourgeois/yuppie endeavors. Honestly, most average people don't think like you or even I do. JoCo, whether urban or suburban or part of a metro, is a distinct place and major jobs center, so to some it's just a place all of it's own and all those technicalities don't matter. Sometimes I think it is the upper-middle class/white-collar crowd (who have a lot of sway in trends in politics) who are out of touch, and not necessarily the rich.
Yes, this! It just seemed to me that people looking to move into that general area were looking at Olathe, people from outside the state which really have no fall back plan should the jobs disappear. My thoughts also were toward Garmin and what happens if it disappears. Technology is moving so fast now and people are scaling back on a lot of gadgets because the extra money isn't there. We are in Emporia right now and my husband has been out on job interviews, "blue collar" and they do have openings. We have come here from SE KS and are on wheels so can shop around. Issue here is Hostess and it being in bankruptcy with a lot of people holding their breathe on that since they are a MAJOR employer here and I read they just got some ruling about being able to stop the union from striking over wage and benefit cuts and the court isn't going to allow the employees to strike so maybe that will help the company. So, I have a blue collar view of the world so I'm sort of a misfit here and even when I was white-collar, I was still blue collar underneath at the heart of things. I do like to know what is going on everywhere though to see if I can guess the ultimate outcome.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Like I said, KC is a lot more diversified, Garmin might be a major employer in Olathe but they are far from the only major employer in the area, and checking their website they only have 3,000 people in Olathe. By comparison Olathe has a population of 127k and virtually meshes with Overland Park with a population of 126k. This one company isn't supporting this town or this area.

More so, Garmin is a stand alone company, if it disappears tomorrow it really only effects Garmin employees. Compare that to Wichita and Boeing where you either worked directly for Boeing, or for a contractor/supplier/whatever else for Boeing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City