U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM

7,650 posts, read 5,638,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Of course the founders were more conservative, but I'm not debating 18th century history here.

You know as well as I do that the current version of the Republican party is nothing like the one of 50 years ago. The Republican party of old still exists in modern form in states like New Hampshire, guided by solid intellect, local control over spending, and common sense. Do more research on the grand ideas Brownback has as he wants Kansas to be an experiment for his policies funded by the Koch brothers and lobbyists.
More often than not, your focus has been on "social" conservatism and we vehemently disagree on major issues associated with the term. I had good reason to assume that was your focus here.

When I talk about conservative values, political parties are nowhere near my radar....as for decades neither major party has represented average Americans who favor and benefit from conservative principle. Of course the Republican party bears little resemblance to 50 years ago....just as the Democratic party bears no resemblance to that of JFK. Today they both cater to groups at the fringes - far out of the main stream.

I detest the big money in politics today just as most Americans do. And both political parties are drowning in it, controlled by it, totally corrupted by it.

So if your problem with Brownback is the monied strings his arms are attached to, you're going to have to claw your way through an endless jungle of other strings leading to his peers.

My focus here is that Kansas' social conservatism makes it a state among a dwindling number that hasn't caved to the PC pressure of "progressivism" - makes it a state that fights for the right for common sense to prevail and to continue to guide it. A state fighting to retain its life quality and not become another of the pathetic social and fiscal wastelands that line our coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

My focus here is that Kansas' social conservatism makes it a state among a dwindling number that hasn't caved to the PC pressure of "progressivism" - makes it a state that fights for the right for common sense to prevail and to continue to guide it. A state fighting to retain its life quality and not become another of the pathetic social and fiscal wastelands that line our coasts.
Right, and Kansas doesn't have any problems? We now have Republicans attacking Republicans yet again. Sounds very regressive and sophomoric to me. While I know many could care less what kind of image the state has, some normalcy and thoughtful compromise to address the issues would do quite a bit to actually attract human capital, new businesses, and other growth. Right now, many people are not going to move there with Brownback in charge. That is just the fact of the matter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/us...pagewanted=all

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-01-2012 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
I don't know a lot about metro areas since I always avoid them. We did live at one time about 17 miles north of Tucson but that metro area really was traditional Arizona at that time anyway. I guess what I have seen here is that if anyone asks a question a lot of time about other cities that they are told they need to be in Lawrence, Olathe or greater KC (to me Lawrence, Olathe, etc are greater KC) because of jobs and amenities and not everyone has those types of needs or desires such. And, I guess most of those things can be gotten in any generic metro area across the US.

Brownback? I'll be glad to see him go. I am betting the programs he implements cost more than they save. He has tangled up things in a hurried manner.

Economic incentives bring in companies. Good weather, reasonable taxes and utilities don't hurt either. Growing fast usually never works out under "what goes up must come down" and it usually deflates faster than it inflated.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Right, and Kansas doesn't have any problems? We now have Republicans attacking Republicans yet again. Sounds very regressive and sophomoric to me. While I know many could care less what kind of image the state has some normalcy and thoughtful compromise to address the issues would do quite a bit to actually attract human capital, new businesses, and other growth. Right now, many people are not going to move there with Brownback in charge. That is just the fact of the matter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/us...pagewanted=all
Fact of the matter? Based on what, beyond your own personal viewpoint?

When I first moved to Kansas in 1976 - and then again in 1979, I had no idea or care who the Governor of Kansas was. Same would apply today if had a good means of income lined up and had decided to put up with the summers in trade for beneficial factors.

For most people, the person occupying the Governor's mansion is priority #189 in their decision to relocate.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,171,017 times
Ummm guys? How does this have anything to do with the original post?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have lived in central and southeast KS for many years and when I see the posts made by people living in the greater KC area (Olathe, Lawrence, - the whole congested area), it really does not seem to reflect traditional Kansas. It is like it is a whole different state to me. I have noticed that few outside that area actually post on the forum too. Kansas is very diverse in every way and well worth researching for opportunities outside the greater KC area. The rural areas can be beautiful and it is nice to be on the road and have more than a few feet between you and the car ahead of you. The majority of Kansans, although they may grump about the economy here and the local government, would not leave unless you hog tied them transported them across the state line. So, KC area is not necessarily the only place to be in KS and the last place I would want to be in KS.
I certainly agree that there are different strokes for different folks. <shrug>

Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 AM

8,797 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Its probably relative, people who visit Kansas City from much larger cites definitely will comment on the small town feel of Kansas City. I have had people from California and Philadelphia comment to me that their impression of some people in Johnson County typical of small town Kansas. Just because there are a bunch of $50,000 cars , $500,000 homes, and high salaries doesn't give and area any of the big city feel that a working class section of Brooklyn does.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 PM

347 posts, read 689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have lived in central and southeast KS for many years and when I see the posts made by people living in the greater KC area (Olathe, Lawrence, - the whole congested area), it really does not seem to reflect traditional Kansas. It is like it is a whole different state to me. I have noticed that few outside that area actually post on the forum too. Kansas is very diverse in every way and well worth researching for opportunities outside the greater KC area. The rural areas can be beautiful and it is nice to be on the road and have more than a few feet between you and the car ahead of you. The majority of Kansans, although they may grump about the economy here and the local government, would not leave unless you hog tied them transported them across the state line. So, KC area is not necessarily the only place to be in KS and the last place I would want to be in KS.
While your point has merit, you could post this same thing in half the state forums on here.

Isn't Greater KC Area Totally Not Like Traditional Kansas?
Isn't Greater Cleveland/Columbus Areas Totally Not Like Traditional Ohio?
Isn't Greater Phoenix Area Totally Not Like Traditional Arizona?
Isn't Greater Atlanta Area Totally Not Like Traditional Georgia?
Isn't Greater Nashville/Memphis Areas Totally Not Like Traditional Tennessee?
Isn't Greater Dallas/Austin Area Totally Not Like Traditional Texas?

I think you get my point. Many states are diverse. To those of us who grow up in rural areas or for folks who have stereotypes of states... we tend to think this is the case. However alot of people live in these cities, sometimes more than the rest of the state combined.. so statistically they may be majority. Folks from western Ohio farm country, folks from inner city Cleveland, and folks from Appalachian SE Ohio have completely different ideas of the Ohio image/stereotype. Folks from the western Oklahoma plains have a very different image of their state than those from Muskogee. This is the case in many states.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
While your point has merit, you could post this same thing in half the state forums on here.

Isn't Greater KC Area Totally Not Like Traditional Kansas?
Isn't Greater Cleveland/Columbus Areas Totally Not Like Traditional Ohio?
Isn't Greater Phoenix Area Totally Not Like Traditional Arizona?
Isn't Greater Atlanta Area Totally Not Like Traditional Georgia?
Isn't Greater Nashville/Memphis Areas Totally Not Like Traditional Tennessee?
Isn't Greater Dallas/Austin Area Totally Not Like Traditional Texas?

I think you get my point. Many states are diverse. To those of us who grow up in rural areas or for folks who have stereotypes of states... we tend to think this is the case. However alot of people live in these cities, sometimes more than the rest of the state combined.. so statistically they may be majority. Folks from western Ohio farm country, folks from inner city Cleveland, and folks from Appalachian SE Ohio have completely different ideas of the Ohio image/stereotype. Folks from the western Oklahoma plains have a very different image of their state than those from Muskogee. This is the case in many states.
Yes, indeed - most states.

New York would be another example of even greater difference than most....between NYC and upstate - much of which is very rural, isolated, and beautiful.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM

220 posts, read 359,369 times
If by "Traditional Kansas" you mean farmers surrounding tiny towns which exist solely to support the agriculture, then yea, Kansas City (or Topeka or Wichita) are nothing like "Traditional Kansas" and never will be. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

It's also laughable if you think western Kansans should care about KC or visa versa, two completely different worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or