U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,084,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Its probably relative, people who visit Kansas City from much larger cites definitely will comment on the small town feel of Kansas City. I have had people from California and Philadelphia comment to me that their impression of some people in Johnson County typical of small town Kansas. Just because there are a bunch of $50,000 cars , $500,000 homes, and high salaries doesn't give and area any of the big city feel that a working class section of Brooklyn does.
I agree that viewpoint is all relative to what you are familiar with. I have never lived in what I would consider a rural area or a tiny town in a rural or exurb setting. To me, the bedroom community suburbs near Kansas City are what I think of as traditional small town Kansas. I would even consider Wichita a traditional Kansas small town. The tiny farming communities out in the hinterlands are something that I will never experience, just not my style at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I agree that viewpoint is all relative to what you are familiar with. I have never lived in what I would consider a rural area or a tiny town in a rural or exurb setting. To me, the bedroom community suburbs near Kansas City are what I think of as traditional small town Kansas. I would even consider Wichita a traditional Kansas small town. The tiny farming communities out in the hinterlands are something that I will never experience, just not my style at all.
Overland Park, Lenexa, Olathe etc are pretty much like any large suburb of any large metropolitan area and pretty much nothing like small town kansas. Now you get out into Gardner or something and yea I can see that.

KCK and the small towns around it like Bonner Springs are like lost places that landed next to a major metro and don't really fit in.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,896,361 times
...living in the greater KC area (Olathe, Lawrence.....

I wouldn't throw Lawrence into the big bathtub of suburbia surrounding the KC metro area. In our search for a home near family we looked at towns on the front range of CO, NE, southeast WY, MO and KS. We looked at a number of small cities and one of our criteria was that the town had to function independently as a town and be vital and distinct in it's own right rather than be a commuter or bedroom city to a larger hub. In KS we narrowed down to several localities: Independence, Clay Center and Lawrence. Lawrence definitely has it's own flavor, distinct from that of the KC metro area.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM

378 posts, read 1,447,873 times
Quote:
I would even consider Wichita a traditional Kansas small town.
Hilarious.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Hilarious.
Care to elaborate or are you just being snarky?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Care to elaborate or are you just being snarky?
You actually think Wichita, with a metro population of around 650,000 people (the city itself 385,000), is really a "traditional Kansas small town"? Most Kansas towns have 6,000 or less people (per this website). There is hardly any similarity between small Kansas towns and Wichita with regards to population diversity, crime rates, cultural/entertainment offerings, and so on. That's why I think your statement is hilarious.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Sco

Quote:
You actually think Wichita, with a metro population of around 650,000 people (the city itself 385,000), is really a "traditional Kansas small town"? Most Kansas towns have 6,000 or less people (per this website). There is hardly any similarity between small Kansas towns and Wichita with regards to population diversity, crime rates, cultural/entertainment offerings, and so on. That's why I think your statement is hilarious.
I think you missed the entire point of my post. I am used to living in large urban areas. IMO, Wichita even with a population of 385k is actually a pretty small town and is a fairly normal size for what would be considered a suburb. If you get used to living in metro areas with a population of millions, Wichita definately seems like a small town.

I can't comment on the Kansas towns that only have 6k people living in them. Those are just too small to even be worthy of my attention. That is smaller than some housing subdivisions or apartment complexes.

Last edited by Sco; 10-12-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I think you missed the entire point of my post. I am used to living in large urban areas. IMO, Wichita even with a population of 385k is actually a pretty small town and is a fairly normal size for what would be considered a small town suburb. If you get used to living in metro areas with a population of millions, Wichita definately seems like a small town.

I can't comment on the Kansas towns that only have 6k people living in them. Those are just too small to even be worthy of my attention. That is smaller than some housing subdivisions or apartment complexes.
That's a laughable argument at best. Sure, I understand it's all relative depending on where you're from and where you've lived, but you can't possibly believe KC suburbs or Wichita are "traditional small-town Kansas", even if you've never stepped foot into one of the many small Kansas towns. It just doesn't make sense for someone to think that, unless of course they're out of touch with reality.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Sco

Quote:
That's a laughable argument at best. Sure, I understand it's all relative depending on where you're from and where you've lived, but you can't possibly believe KC suburbs or Wichita are "traditional small-town Kansas", even if you've never stepped foot into one of the many small Kansas towns. It just doesn't make sense for someone to think that, unless of course they're out of touch with reality.
Why do you feel the urge to turn this into a game of hurling personal insults? Do you always have such a hard time understanding that you are only stating your opinion? Your opinion is no more valid than mine. It seems like you are the one that needs to get a grip on reality. You are not the ultimate decider of what is right and wrong, your belief that you are is delusional.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
If by "Traditional Kansas" you mean farmers surrounding tiny towns which exist solely to support the agriculture, then yea, Kansas City (or Topeka or Wichita) are nothing like "Traditional Kansas" and never will be. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

It's also laughable if you think western Kansans should care about KC or visa versa, two completely different worlds.
You're not too familiar with KS are you? "Tiny towns"? Agriculture is not the only industry outside of the metro areas that you mention. See this is exactly what I mean as far as perception of Kansas through "metro" eyes. There is industry and college towns and believe it or not, towns that have colleges and industry. There are museums, concerts and very nice restaurants and places to shop outside the metro area. There are many towns that people love in KS enough to spend their whole lives there and not chase the almighty dollar to be wedged in housing and traffic. I have been as far west as Hays and to the south Liberal. To the NE border heading up to Lincoln, NE to KC down to the OK border and many places in the middle. KS just gets sold short when someone makes an inquiry that isn't about the metro area and people jump in and tell them they need to move to the metro area because of the jobs and leisure time activity. Some people are very into just enjoying time with their family, camping, hunting, fishing, small town festivals, etc. But, I agree that you can find "metro" in many states, generic in nature it is.

Since we are discussing KS here and not under "US", Wichita is considered one of the largest cities in the state. Take it to the "US" forum and becomes much smaller. We are talking about cities/towns in KS and how the metro areas and opinions of those that live there may not be representative of smaller town KS and any opinion that says if you aren't in the metro area, there is nothing to do and no money to be made especially when you look at cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or