U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times

Advertisements

I have lived in central and southeast KS for many years and when I see the posts made by people living in the greater KC area (Olathe, Lawrence, - the whole congested area), it really does not seem to reflect traditional Kansas. It is like it is a whole different state to me. I have noticed that few outside that area actually post on the forum too. Kansas is very diverse in every way and well worth researching for opportunities outside the greater KC area. The rural areas can be beautiful and it is nice to be on the road and have more than a few feet between you and the car ahead of you. The majority of Kansans, although they may grump about the economy here and the local government, would not leave unless you hog tied them transported them across the state line. So, KC area is not necessarily the only place to be in KS and the last place I would want to be in KS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have lived in central and southeast KS for many years and when I see the posts made by people living in the greater KC area (Olathe, Lawrence, - the whole congested area), it really does not seem to reflect traditional Kansas. It is like it is a whole different state to me. I have noticed that few outside that area actually post on the forum too. Kansas is very diverse in every way and well worth researching for opportunities outside the greater KC area. The rural areas can be beautiful and it is nice to be on the road and have more than a few feet between you and the car ahead of you. The majority of Kansans, although they may grump about the economy here and the local government, would not leave unless you hog tied them transported them across the state line. So, KC area is not necessarily the only place to be in KS and the last place I would want to be in KS.
The Kansas City metro is very insular and self-contained and not so much attached to either state that it's in. I've noticed that. Some metros, such as Tulsa, I've noticed are much more state-oriented. Part of what drives the difference might be that Kansas City has seen a ton of out of state newcomers that have come into the city but have no other connection with the rest of either state, whereas I think Tulsa is more composed of urbanized Oklahomans. Some parts of the KC area are relatively "Kansas", such as Olathe and South JoCo, which is where a lot of Kansans that move into the metro choose to live. KCK doesn't have much newblood or newcomers, except Hispanics, yet it still seems detached from the rest of the state and is very much an isolated urban cesspool. By contrast, I think the Missouri suburbs are much more "Missouri". I personally don't hate Kansas and like it quite a lot, especially having lived in SEK myself, Independence. Oh and Lawrence - I think it's very Kansas. Whenever I go there, I always feel like I've left and am detached from KC and in a real Kansas town, which is a refreshing feeling.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Quote:
It is different because of the strong educational attainment in JOCO and Lawrence compared to the rest of the state. Job growth, at least in the past, was far higher than the rest of the state with more in-migration, business growth, overall population growth. People move to where they can find good paying jobs of all kinds, including career level positions. Easy access to urban amenities, good performing schools, etc are the keys there. Rural KS outside of a few areas just doesn't really offer much for those that don't prefer being in remote areas with very few services. It doesn't help that the other large cities in KS like Wichita and Topeka have been declining or stagnant for quite some time. Yes, the out-migration from rural counties in KS is still quite high compared to other states, but SE Kansas might be the exception to the rule as the demographics there are fairly similar to those of SW Missouri.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
Quote:
Reading your post again, I'm seeing it in a different light....

People will go where the jobs are. While somebody hellbent on making it somewhere in small-town Kansas can probably make it work, the masses will go not only where the most jobs are, but where they pay best. It's just that simple. The nature of this forum will draw posts from users seeking information about moving to new places, mostly because of jobs drawing them, and that's why metro KC has a lot of posts. Many or most of the mobile population (who will move from metro to metro) are college-educated and middle- to upper-middle class and hold semi-professional and professional jobs. And I just don't think there are many of those jobs available in rural areas and small towns of Kansas. Those jobs that do exist out there are more likely to be taken by folks already familiar with KS and from KS. Even if somebody willing to move across the country for a job runs across a decent opportunity in small-town Kansas, most don't like the idea of moving where there aren't a lot of other transplants or urban/metropolitan amenities. I think that's just fine though because locals who want to return to their hometown or region of KS have the option of taking up whatever jobs that pop up. Small towns that draw in outsiders, especially from out of state, are far and few. But Bartlesville, OK, due to Conoco-Phillips, is one example.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,172,112 times
Quote:
The Kansas City metro is very insular and self-contained and not so much attached to either state that it's in. I've noticed that
Here in western Kansas, we have no connection whatsoever to that mess on the east end of the state. Most kids here have never been to KC and don't really care. There's no reason to go there.
Our "big city" is Denver.

But KC is just a city. It's not even the capital.
Much like in Nebraska, outside of the eastern third, most people never go to Omaha... There's just no reason to.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 30,303 times
It's just like any other state: not every place within the state is the same. That's true of most states. Kansas has about 82,000 square miles, and the urbanized portion near Kansas City is in the upper northeast corner, right next to Missouri. Geographically, the KC area is not located in a central area within the state, it is on the periphery of the state. Therefore, there are going to be places further west that are not as connected to the Kansas City area as the places that are closer to it.

Until the 1940s, the city of Kansas City, Kansas (KCK) was the largest city in the state of Kansas. During the 1940s, the aircraft factories in Wichita started increasing production, which caused Wichita to grow rapidly. After that point, Wichita became the state's largest city. But from the late 1800s until the 1940s, the largest city in the state was KCK. The state always had a major urban cluster in the KC area, and the economy and demographics in that area were always slightly different than the rest of the state. It's nothing new.

The main difference now is that there are more people in the KC part of the state and fewer people in the rural parts, especially rural parts out west. If anything, the KC part of Kansas is now "more Kansan" than it ever has been, in the sense that it contains a higher percentage of the state's population and drives the state's economy and culture more than it did back in the 1800s and 1900s.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It doesn't help that the other large cities in KS like Wichita and Topeka have been declining or stagnant for quite some time.
Wichita has not been declining or stagnant, it just hasn't grown as fast as other regional cities. Wichita's population grew by 13% between 1990 and 2000, and by 11% between 2000 and 2010. The city population is now approaching 400,000, and has more than doubled since 1950, when it was only 168,000. Topeka, on the other hand, has been quite stagnant and has not grown much since the 1960s. Topeka declined in population from 1970 to 1980, and is still not much bigger than its 1970 population of 125,000.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Here in western Kansas, we have no connection whatsoever to that mess on the east end of the state. Most kids here have never been to KC and don't really care. There's no reason to go there. Our "big city" is Denver.
It's still in-state, which means that even "kids" who grow up in Goodland and St. Francis, if they go to an in-state four-year college (not all do, but many do), they will be moving to someplace that is closer to KC than to Denver.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:23 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
When I first came to KS, I stayed in Wilson, KS for about 3 months. Lived in Salina for about 2 years in the early 80's. Lived in Manhattan for about a year in the mid 80's and then moved to Junction City for 8 years. That was my "taste" of KS initially. Spent the last 6 years in Fort Scott trying desperately to get out and tonight, I sit in Emporia and we are deciding whether to stay here or move onto to Abilene to settle in the next couple weeks. I have been to many cities in KS as we crossed the state or went to visit a museum or zoo. I am particularly fond of the Flint Hills and had forgotten how captivating this area is. So, I am not urban in any sense but am familiar with KS and I guess having grown up in rural SW MI, my appetite for "excitement" can be fulfilled in small town KS. Going to the great little zoo here in Emporia tomorrow! Tonight, I am delighted to sit in our camper and look at the clear blue sky and I can see for miles and miles! I like conservative and that has contributed to my remaining in Kansas and to the times we have left and returned. Thanks for all the input as it has been interesting.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minneha View Post
Wichita has not been declining or stagnant, it just hasn't grown as fast as other regional cities. Wichita's population grew by 13% between 1990 and 2000, and by 11% between 2000 and 2010. The city population is now approaching 400,000, and has more than doubled since 1950, when it was only 168,000. Topeka, on the other hand, has been quite stagnant and has not grown much since the 1960s. Topeka declined in population from 1970 to 1980, and is still not much bigger than its 1970 population of 125,000.
I was referring to job growth. Sedgewick county saw an overall percentage decline in jobs between 2000-2010 even if the population for the county increased overall. The jobs factor alone points to the fact that Wichita is becoming more stagnant. Topeka has recently gained a few new businesess but is obviously much more stagnant than Wichita. KCK has a new tax base stream coming in with Cerner building the campus by the Speedway, though. Other factors like this horrific drought are much bigger economic factors in rural states like Kansas as many counties are agriculturally dependent with few other jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or