U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,301,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
St. Louis is a baseball town and one of the few left in the country. I have read interviews about players who played for the Rams but left when their contract was up because they didnt like playing second fiddle to the Cards.
Really it's third fiddle -- if they'd ever play any damn hockey, we St. Louisans really love that too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM

10,718 posts, read 18,612,665 times
Quote:
I wouldnt say that. Sporting Kansas City has been the main subject of several articles in the sports pages in the Washington Post and NY Times over the last few months talking about their turnaround and how they are the perfect example of how a sports franchise in the U.S. In fact, their was just an article in the Washington Post this last weekend about them.

On top of that, they havent lost a game in 70 days and have a chance at becoming the first MLS team to capture the triple crown this season.

I have traveled more this year than I have in recent years and have gotten comments on my SKC hat and jacket everywhere I have went including Paducah, Kentucky where I figured they wouldnít know MLS existed.
I think the franchise is very popular in the pro soccer community and if you walk around with sporting gear on, you are bound to start up conversations with other people that follow the league.

But on a grand scale, MLS is just not very well known. The team here in DC gets quite a bit of press, but the percent of people that care or even acknowledge their presence is still way below any other team in town.

I know that most of the franchises are doing pretty well, especially Seattle, but I don't think MLS is up there with MLB or NFL or even NHL or NBA in most markets. Seattle has a ****ty MLB team an no NBA or NHL and it's a sports crazy market that jumps on whatever bandwagon they can. I don't think what's going on with the MLS there is sustainable just like they have had crazy spikes in attendance with their other teams in the past.

I wish the MLS well though and itís nice that KC has at least one team that doesnít embarrass the city. I hope they keep it going because even the MLS team was once one of the worst teams in the league that everybody wanted to move.

As far as your comment on MLB not being popular anymore but in just a few cities. Thatís crazy. MLB is very popular. No other sport draws 20-45k to 80 home games especially for the prices that people pay for lower bowl seats.

Even KC with a terrible team that has not competed for nearly 3 decades draws 1.6-1.8 million people a year. But yea, StL is probably the best baseball town in the country and they will always make KC look bad in baseball. But I donít think even they would draw more than 25-30k a game if they had to put up with the royals for the last 25 plus years.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think the franchise is very popular in the pro soccer community and if you walk around with sporting gear on, you are bound to start up conversations with other people that follow the league.

But on a grand scale, MLS is just not very well known. The team here in DC gets quite a bit of press, but the percent of people that care or even acknowledge their presence is still way below any other team in town.

I know that most of the franchises are doing pretty well, especially Seattle, but I don't think MLS is up there with MLB or NFL or even NHL or NBA in most markets. Seattle has a ****ty MLB team an no NBA or NHL and it's a sports crazy market that jumps on whatever bandwagon they can. I don't think what's going on with the MLS there is sustainable just like they have had crazy spikes in attendance with their other teams in the past.

I wish the MLS well though and itís nice that KC has at least one team that doesnít embarrass the city. I hope they keep it going because even the MLS team was once one of the worst teams in the league that everybody wanted to move.

As far as your comment on MLB not being popular anymore but in just a few cities. Thatís crazy. MLB is very popular. No other sport draws 20-45k to 80 home games especially for the prices that people pay for lower bowl seats.

Even KC with a terrible team that has not competed for nearly 3 decades draws 1.6-1.8 million people a year. But yea, StL is probably the best baseball town in the country and they will always make KC look bad in baseball. But I donít think even they would draw more than 25-30k a game if they had to put up with the royals for the last 25 plus years.
Let's hope we never have to find out

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM

220 posts, read 361,755 times
I agree the MLS isn't very mainstream right now, but I predict it surpasses Hockey in the next 5-10 years.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,519,974 times
Quote:

I think you are highly underestimating the popularity of MLS. MLS has a higher attendance average than both the NHL and NBA now by a few thousand. They are approaching the sponsorship dollars of the NHL and have more TV contracts than the NHL as well. All of the MLS TV contracts expire next year and they are expected to get a per game deal on par with both the NHL and NBA. There have been some stats thrown out that MLS has actually already surpassed the NHL in popularity and is slowly closing in on the NBA which is actually losing popularity. In the last 5 years MLS is the only professional sports team who has seen an increase in season ticket holders. NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA have all seen a decrease since the recession.

A recent study of 18 to 30 year olds found that MLS is the second most popular sports league behind the NFL for that demographic which means that as that age group ages and has kids and earns more money, MLS is going to slowly catch up to all the other leagues and possibly surpass them.

As little as 5 years ago I would walk around with Wizards gear on when I traveled and never heard a word from anyone even when I visited MLS markets. Now, I get comments before even leaving the airport or at gas stations in places like Paducah, KY which doesnt have an MLS team anywhere close. In Portland I had conversations with probably 40 different people in the 3 days I was there everywhere I went, same in Seattle and Vancouver. I was at Bonnaroo this summer and had tons of conversations with people from all over the country when wearing my Sporting hat.

Quote:

I never said MLB wasnt that popular anymore. I said that not very many baseball towns exist anymore and by baseball town I mean a market where the MLB team is the top in the market. In pretty much every city except for St. Louis, the NFL team is the top in that market. Can you name one other city where the baseball team is more popular? NY and Boston could maybe be considered that but I would probably say they are about even in popularity with their NFL counterparts.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
I agree the MLS isn't very mainstream right now, but I predict it surpasses Hockey in the next 5-10 years.
According to a lot of figures, it already has. There arent many areas where NHL has better numbers than MLS and MLS is working on further expansions while the NHL is heavily considering contraction.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM

If the NHL would play any damn hockey they might be in a better situation. Two lock outs in a decade? Way to dig your own grave jackasses.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,934,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I said it in the St. Louis forum and wanted to mention it again here -- and please do not make this some argument that the Rams have anything near the fan base as the Chiefs -- because of course they don't. But that dude has a clear agenda, so I wanted to say: Well more than 50,000 tickets were purchased for the Rams games in question. It just so happens the Cardinals were playing at Busch at that exact same time in an extremely tight race for the 2nd wild card. No big surprise there were some no shows to the dome.
Agreed.

OP, this is just getting pathetic... How biased and sad can you be here?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Yet, another article in a nationally issued newspaper about Sporting Kansas City. This is like the fourth one in the last couple of weeks:

Winning boosts soccer in San Jose, Kansas City

https://twitter.com/scwyatt/status/2...819840/photo/1

Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,057,101 times
Quote:
According to a lot of figures, it already has. There arent many areas where NHL has better numbers than MLS and MLS is working on further expansions while the NHL is heavily considering contraction.
NHL isn't considering contraction, especially since Seattle and Quebec City are both building new arenas and trying to land a franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City