U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM

220 posts, read 363,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
NHL isn't considering contraction, especially since Seattle and Quebec City are both building new arenas and trying to land a franchise.
Yea we used the same excuse to build the Sprint Center. That place has had Ice in it twice now I think, and neither time was for hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM

10,721 posts, read 18,659,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Yea we used the same excuse to build the Sprint Center. That place has had Ice in it twice now I think, and neither time was for hockey.
Actually Sprint Center host an NHL preseason game every year and I'm sure they have had far more than 2 ice events outside of hockey

Sprint Center would be perfect for the NBA or NHL and think the metro would support a winter pro team.

The problem is there is nobody in town that has any interest in owning a team. Most of KC's very wealthy (halls, stowers, blochs etc) have zero interest in sports, (same problem with the Chiefs and Royals) that's why KC will probably never get NHL or NBA.

Local owners that care makes a huge difference. You can see this with the MLS team in KC. But I think there is a much greater financial risk with NBA or NHL than the MLS that nobody is willing to take and I can't say I blame them. KC's wealthy spend their money on the arts, entrepreneurship etc.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-10-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM

220 posts, read 363,009 times
I forgot about the preseason games!

I can only remember a few shows on ice in the place. They had Ice down for the grand opening but I think it was covered up, we almost melted it a few days before that.

Still haven't seen the NHL expansion team they were hyping, the Penguins used it to get a new arena in their home town, and in the mean time Independence built a hockey arena and stuck a minor league team in it.

Historically the NBA does poorly in towns big on college basketball. The Arena can be used for either Hockey or Basketball but the designs where pretty clear they were set on getting a Hockey team.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,335,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Actually Sprint Center host an NHL preseason game every year and I'm sure they have had far more than 2 ice events outside of hockey

Sprint Center would be perfect for the NBA or NHL and think the metro would support a winter pro team.

The problem is there is nobody in town that has any interest in owning a team. Most of KC's very wealthy (halls, stowers, blochs etc) have zero interst in sports, (same problem with the Chiefs and Royals) that's why KC will probably never get NHL or NBA.

Local owners that care makes a huge difference. You can see this with the MLS team in KC. But I think there is a much greater financial risk with NBA or NHL than the MLS that nobody is willing to take and I can't say I blame them. KC's wealthy spend their money on the arts, entrepreneurship etc.
kcmo hits on something I've found to be very true in Kansas City. They're not better or worse patrons of the town per se (I'm sure you could readily make an argument both ways), but their objectives are far more focused on the arts.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,176,928 times
Which is, of course, why we have arts institutions and an arts scene which well above our weight class, so to speak.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM

10,721 posts, read 18,659,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Which is, of course, why we have arts institutions and an arts scene which well above our weight class, so to speak.
I think KC is better off with places like the Performing Arts Center and Nelson and everything the Kauffman foundation does for the community than a money pit of an NHL team that would actually make the sprint center a huge financial strain on the city.

KC needs to take care of the Royals, Chiefs and Sporting and keep Sprint Center as one of the most vibrant concert venues in the world. Don't worry abou the NHL or NBA. Having the NFL and MLB is FAR more important to the city.

And that's coming from an NHL fan .

Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,534,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
NHL isn't considering contraction, especially since Seattle and Quebec City are both building new arenas and trying to land a franchise.
Yes, they are. They arent trying to land expansion teams, they are trying to land a relocated franchise. NHL has been consider contraction for years. During the last lockout, lots of talent went overseas and never returned. The quality of play has suffered and lots of NHL sides are broke.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,335,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Absolutely.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,063,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Seattle and Quebec City have prospective ownership groups. The Seattle arena is mostly privately funded.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,063,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Yes, they are. They arent trying to land expansion teams, they are trying to land a relocated franchise. NHL has been consider contraction for years. During the last lockout, lots of talent went overseas and never returned. The quality of play has suffered and lots of NHL sides are broke.
No, they are not considering contraction at all. If contraction is ever mentioned, it is only to scare the players union. Just follow the money: NHL will expand before it ever contracts. Currently there are more markets seeking teams than there are teams looking to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City