U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,503,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
No, they are not considering contraction at all. If contraction is ever mentioned, it is only to scare the players union. Just follow the money: NHL will expand before it ever contracts. Currently there are more markets seeking teams than there are teams looking to relocate.
They have been considering contraction since the last lockout. I read sports business trade journals and it has been mentioned several times over the last several years. It has been proven that professional sports teams in the US top out at 32 teams for peak performance and for less popular leagues like the NHL and NBA that can be too much in terms of talent and customer demand. There has been plans mentioned to cut as many as 6 teams over the years. The NHL is not going to expand when so many of the teams in the league are struggling financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,047,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They have been considering contraction since the last lockout.
No, they have not. Follow the money. Expansion is more likely. Again, follow the money.

More open markets that want teams and with viable ownership groups than teams available. Even the NY Islanders with major arena issues won't move far if it all. They make way too much TV revenue to ever move out of the NY market.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 AM

10,709 posts, read 18,552,906 times
RjRobb, I don't get the animosity toward the other pro league I see from you and many MLS fans. It's almost like you want the NHL to fail or something. Each of these leagues are pretty much in the same boat and fighting for fans and media attention. The MLS has come a very long way, but they still have a ways to go I think before they are taken seriously by a lot of people including a lot of world soccer fans. Just saying. I like the league myself, but it's way below even the NHL in popularity unless you can prove otherwise. There are teams around here in DC and Philly and the local NHL teams are far more popular, it's not even close.

I wish Sporting KC well, but at least an NHL team would help the city be more vibrant. The soccer stadium is in the middle of nowhere yet has worse parking than just about any urban stadium/arena I have been to.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 AM

220 posts, read 360,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
RjRobb, I don't get the animosity toward the other pro league I see from you and many MLS fans. It's almost like you want the NHL to fail or something. Each of these leagues are pretty much in the same boat and fighting for fans and media attention. The MLS has come a very long way, but they still have a ways to go I think before they are taken seriously by a lot of people including a lot of world soccer fans. Just saying. I like the league myself, but it's way below even the NHL in popularity unless you can prove otherwise. There are teams around here in DC and Philly and the local NHL teams are far more popular, it's not even close.

I wish Sporting KC well, but at least an NHL team would help the city be more vibrant. The soccer stadium is in the middle of nowhere yet has worse parking than just about any urban stadium/arena I have been to.
I think they're fighting to be the mainstream 4th sport behind Football, Baseball, and Basketball so you see a lot of rivalry between Hockey and Soccer.

The location is questionable and the parking does suck, but everyone I know who has been to a Sporting KC game can't wait to go to another one which speaks volumes above everything else. I don't remember feeling the same about the Comets... but I do miss the Blades.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
I think they're fighting to be the mainstream 4th sport behind Football, Baseball, and Basketball so you see a lot of rivalry between Hockey and Soccer.

The location is questionable and the parking does suck, but everyone I know who has been to a Sporting KC game can't wait to go to another one which speaks volumes above everything else. I don't remember feeling the same about the Comets... but I do miss the Blades.
Yea, the games are a blast. I have been to one. I just think it would be even better in not such on exurban location.

The Blades were great and had a huge fan base in KC for their first ten years or so. They were basically treated like a pro team and that was when the league was very well respected, they were even trying to compete with the NHL vs just being their AAA minor league (which is what ultimately destroyed the league). We were huge Blades fans. They would draw near sellout crowds on weekends and we even followed them to other cities like Denver and Milwaukee. The IHL was a great league with entertaining teams playing in major markets and they messed it up.

The blades is actually proof that KC will support high level hockey. Low level hockey support is hit and miss, but the team in Independence does very well mainly because they play in a small suburban arena. People wonít go downtown, pay for parking etc to watch a bush league hockey league.

The Comets were the same way. When they were peaking in the 80ís, they were selling out every game and on TV. The Comets were outdrawing nearly every NHL and NBA team at the time and are a primary reason that KC lost the NBA Kings because at the time, the Kings were below the Royals, Chiefs and Comets. The MISL is now nothing like it was back then. Itís a junk league, they will do okay as something to do in a suburban arena, but itís not a high caliber pro league like it once was.

Speaking of crap leagues, I canít believe KC has an arena team that will play in 20,000 seat Kemper against teams cites like Sedalia. What a joke that is and it will fail in KC.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
No, they have not. Follow the money. Expansion is more likely. Again, follow the money.

More open markets that want teams and with viable ownership groups than teams available. Even the NY Islanders with major arena issues won't move far if it all. They make way too much TV revenue to ever move out of the NY market.
Yes, they have. I guess you are right and sports business journals that follow the business are incorrect. You do realize that a fair percentage of NHL teams are suffering, right?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
RjRobb, I don't get the animosity toward the other pro league I see from you and many MLS fans. It's almost like you want the NHL to fail or something.
Where do you see animosity from me regarding other pro sports leagues? Where do you see that I want the NHL to fail? I love hockey and want an NHL team badly. I do not like the NBA but I never had, it has nothing to do with MLS. I just think it is a trash product.

None of this changes the fact that the NHL is struggling in many markets and the league has had contraction on the table for years. That's not me hoping anything that is a fact despite what kc chris seems to think. The NBA has considered contraction as well.

You do not consider expansion when you have as many franchises suffering financially as the NHL does. The business of sports has found that 32 teams over saturates the country.

In this economy, the MLS is the only one of the four sports leagues to see gains in pretty much every measurable category including merchandise sales, ticket sales, expansion of teams, and more. The rest of the leagues have seen decreases, some of them drastic.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:

You do realize that contraction is one of the issues being discussed during the lockout? The NHLPA is obviously strongly against it but the league and it's advisors are strongly considering it.

You do not expand your business when you have as many parts floundering as the NHL does. You fix the problems and then consider expansion. You also do not expand a professional sports league if you do not have the talent to fill all the rosters.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:09 PM

872 posts, read 1,644,781 times
BACK ON TOPIC: I was really disappointed with my experience in KC. Not only were the fans completely out of control...they cheered for Matt Cassel going down. That is pretty pathetic. Go Seahawks.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM

That got kc some pretty negative press in the DC and Baltimore area. I'm not sure KC sports can get much worse. If I were there, I would be excited about watching soccer in the parking lot of a furniture store in Timbuktu along with everybody else! Just making a point, I like Sporting KC.

But wow at the Royals and Chiefs and they play in two of the nicest venues in the country too.

Any more details or thoughts about KC or the game? What did you mean the fans were out of control (besides them cheering Cassel's injury, which a sizable portion did no matter how much the press has tried to cover it up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City