Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,188 times

Advertisements

I want to start out by saying I went to my first-ever NFL game ever today. I saw the Seahawks play the Rams (I was rooting for the Seahawks) and the atmosphere in the Dome was lame! It was definitely less than half full and the facilities are very dated.

Now, I am a chiefs fan, they are my number one team and this will obviously be my first chance to see them play live. So my question for you guys is, is it normally sold out or at least super close to capacity? The atompshere on tv always seems nice and loud. I am expecting 70000+ wearing red and yelling, will I get that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
I don't think you would find Arrowhead lame AT ALL. It's very loud and very exciting. If they actually start WINNING, it's much better. When you go, make sure you go several hours early to tailgate in the parking lot before the game. That's part of the experience.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
yea, I would agree with luz. They don't draw the 79k to a 76k stadium right now, but they still have about 70k every sunday.

The in stadium atmosphere is nothing like it was in the 90's, but it's still one of the best NFL experiences you will find and the tailgating is still as amazing as ever. StL Rams is one of the worst NFL experiences. It's terrible. They need to ditch that dome and build an open air stadium (so long as they do with StL money and not state money).

Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
It will be close to sold out but as the weather gets colder and the team continues to suck, you might only find 50k or less. I went to a game a few years back and the stadium was less than half full but they had a horrible record and the wind chill was in the single digits.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Umm, the chiefs will be lucky to get 50k (actual people show up) for any of the remaining games. That team is terrible.

Sad thing is they have some great players that will probably go on and become superstars for other teams, kind of like the Royals.

KC pro sports is just bad. Real bad. 27 years since the Royals have even been to the playoffs (by far worst in all of pro sports (NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL) and the Chiefs have not won a playoff game in nearly 20 years and the few they have been to in the last ten years have been embarrassing.

KC is not even being used as leverage any more to get back the NHL or NBA let alone do they have a shot at actually getting a team.

Good grief. No wonder everybody in KC pulls for college teams yet KC doesn't even have a well respected urban college sports program. UMKC?? (I went there, I like the school), so they have to pull for state schools.

At least the MLS team is doing well, too bad nobody outside of KC barely knows there is an MLS team there.

KC has some of the best pro sports venues in the country and a fan base that is just dying to have a reason to go nuts. I swear there must be some sort of curse on KC sports.

Anyway, I would look for quite a few local blackouts this season for the Chiefs. It's sad that both of those once proud pro franchises are now basically national laughing stocks in the pro sports community.

KC sports fans deserve better.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

At least the MLS team is doing well, too bad nobody outside of KC barely knows there is an MLS team there.
I wouldnt say that. Sporting Kansas City has been the main subject of several articles in the sports pages in the Washington Post and NY Times over the last few months talking about their turnaround and how they are the perfect example of how a sports franchise in the U.S. In fact, their was just an article in the Washington Post this last weekend about them.

On top of that, they havent lost a game in 70 days and have a chance at becoming the first MLS team to capture the triple crown this season.

I have traveled more this year than I have in recent years and have gotten comments on my SKC hat and jacket everywhere I have went including Paducah, Kentucky where I figured they wouldnt know MLS existed.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM

220 posts, read 453,724 times
The rams fans are a wine and cheese crowd, super lame stadium. Cardinals games blow them away.

That said, can't beat a Chiefs game anywhere if they have a halfway decent team. People are starting to boycott the owners for such horrible decisions on a few key players though, hopefully when the stadium is empty Hunt will get a clue and make some changes, probably not a good year to go see them.

Go check out a Sporting KC game, even if you know nothing about soccer and think it's the most boring sport in the world, I guarantee you'll have a great time.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Not enough people will boycott the Hunts for it to matter. In order to get his attention, a mass boycott on tickets, watching on TV, and merchandise will need to happen and Chiefs fans are probably among the dumbest sports fans in the world so I dont see that happening. Their like the dumb little kid that keeps touching the stove over and over again even though it keeps burning them.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I said it in the St. Louis forum and wanted to mention it again here -- and please do not make this some argument that the Rams have anything near the fan base as the Chiefs -- because of course they don't. But that dude has a clear agenda, so I wanted to say: Well more than 50,000 tickets were purchased for the Rams games in question. It just so happens the Cardinals were playing at Busch at that exact same time in an extremely tight race for the 2nd wild card. No big surprise there were some no shows to the dome.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM

St. Louis is a baseball town and one of the few left in the country. I have read interviews about players who played for the Rams but left when their contract was up because they didnt like playing second fiddle to the Cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City