U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,575 times

Advertisements

I am really enjoying this discussion, but I want to follow up on KCMO's most recent post, which I found to be quite insightful. It is interesting how suburban areas are able to capitalize on their proximity to an urban area, yet try to avoid all their externalities. I couldn't agree more with your comment about how the metro actually behaves like 4 mini metros. I wrote about this extensively in my blog posting about KC, and actually created a map of the mini-metros. I found JoCo to be extremely nice, but never lost track of the fact that JoCo (and Ks. for that matter) is bootstrapping on all that KCMO has to offer, while avoiding much of the cost (and therefore offering lower tax rates) by virtue of its location across the state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
I live in Johnson County because of good schools and low crime and I like the area. I did most of my growing up in western Shawnee and even as a kid, I fell in love with Johnson County. Later moved away with parents, and then went to college, but vowed I would go back to Johnson County as soon as I could, and once I had kids I knew exactly where I wanted to raise them.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM

7,653 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityJudger View Post
I am really enjoying this discussion, but I want to follow up on KCMO's most recent post, which I found to be quite insightful. It is interesting how suburban areas are able to capitalize on their proximity to an urban area, yet try to avoid all their externalities. I couldn't agree more with your comment about how the metro actually behaves like 4 mini metros. I wrote about this extensively in my blog posting about KC, and actually created a map of the mini-metros. I found JoCo to be extremely nice, but never lost track of the fact that JoCo (and Ks. for that matter) is bootstrapping on all that KCMO has to offer, while avoiding much of the cost (and therefore offering lower tax rates) by virtue of its location across the state line.
I moved my family twice to Johnson County and it had nothing to do with "all that KCMO has to offer". By way of generalization, it would be more accurate to say I moved there despite the proximity to KCMO, certainly not because of it.

Sure, "nightlife" is important to many young singles, but they are outnumbered in the population by mature family folk who have moved along in life with very different priorities.

JoCo "bootstrapping on all that KCMO has to offer, while avoiding much of the cost" is hardly a fact. In fact, a contention of the reverse would be just as valid today. But, at the end of the day, for most people this is the least of their concerns either way.

This non-issue is nowhere near the radar for most people....that is the fact that one should not lose track of.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,489,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Of the people I know in the KC area, they moved to be close to their place of employment regardless of the state line.
I havent. I live in the Northland and work in Overland Park with no plans to move there. However, I have lived in the Northland my whole life and that is where most of my friends are.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
JoCo "bootstrapping on all that KCMO has to offer, while avoiding much of the cost" is hardly a fact. In fact, a contention of the reverse would be just as valid today.
You are again demonstating your ignorance -- willful or otherwise -- of the realities of American demography. It is not a question of who uses or appreciates KCMO "nightlife" or any other single aspect of KCMO's culture, or where and why you personally chose to live. You are misunderstanding or missing entirely the nature of the relationship, which is this:

Johnson County is an ammenity KCMO provides.

That's what suburbs are. That's why there are not comparable areas around Topeka, Keokuk, or wherever.
Smart metros understand that dynamic and cities and their suburbs work together assure the well-being of both. Johnson County -- as a political entity, and often as a populace -- does not, and the lion's share of metro KC's shortcomings are a result of that. Not because KCMO is corrupt or incompetent or has bad schools or doesn't shovel snow well or whatever. Because Johnson County does not understand what a symbiotic relationship is and how it works.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
It's hardly as though "nightlife" is the only thing offered up by KCMO that JoCo doesn't have. How about cultural and tourist amenities? Is crownvic suggesting the typical, American suburbanite doesn't appreciate things like regional theater, the occasional special occasion dining experience or a chance to take their family to places like the Zoo or professional sporting events? If so, that makes me sad -- what a bland existence that sounds like!

Without KCMO, JoCo would have to provide these things to its citizens in order to remain desirable, and that comes at a cost. The lack of understanding of this is exactly what I think is so frustrating to those who come from or have lived in metro areas that at least vaguely understand this symbiotic existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or