U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,576 times

Advertisements

...the eternal Mo. vs. Ks. question for those living in KC's surrounding areas. What motivates one to live on one side of the state line over another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 AM

220 posts, read 359,567 times
Where your work is at, and if you commute to downtown, then where the better schools are at in your price range.

Keep in mind Kansas is non-union, MO is union. This has a lot to do with why Kansas has built up so much over the past 30 years taking away people from the Missouri side, construction is simply cheaper, easier, and from my experience done in a much more timely manner on the Kansas side.

I've moved back and forth plenty of times for no real reason other than to be closer to where I was working at the time, the state line has never mattered here.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 AM

376 posts, read 429,838 times
School and tax issues create a financial current one way or another. The KCMO schools are in poor shape and I think many people are scared by that into living over the state line, unless they can afford private schools. Also, there is a 1% tax on personal income if you live or work in KCMO. I'm sure that impacts some folks.

It's also about lifestyle. The KS side is pure suburbia, though some of the burbs are gorgeous. If you want that sort of life, that's where you'll live. Living in KCMO gives you a more urban lifestyle, with higher crime and more traffic, but more energy, food and culture opportunities, and walkability. It depends on what floats your boat.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
^But that's so overly simplistic. KCMO schools are by no means the only district and there are many suburbs on the MO side -- some of them among the nicest in the metro area. And only within the city limits does one have to pay the earnings tax (less than the cost of a cup of coffee per day for the average earner)

From what I've seen personally most people choose on which side of the state line to live based mostly on personal connections.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Yea, I will never understand why the "KS side" is always Leawood and Overland Park and never KCK or Olathe or even far north OP and the MO side is always East KCMO or where ever the KCMOSD boundaries are and never the Northland or Lee's Summit or nicer parts of the urban core where people either don't need public schools or deal with the alternatives.

Also, tax burden is much lower overall if you live on the MO side vs the KS side regardless of the freaking Etax. But that too is always simplified in a negative way by Kansans.

Avoid the paying that $500 etax on your 50k salary. Move to Leawood and pay an extra 2500k in state income taxes, $200 in extra gas taxes, 1k in extra property taxes, $500 in extra car taxes and make sure you shop at town center plaza and pay nearly 10% in sales tax! Not to mention the kcmo etax pays for trash pickup which alone is like $200-$400 a year in most suburbs and a home in Overland Park can cost 50k more than the same home with great schools in Lee's Summit or Parkville. That makes a lot of sense! Now I am only tring to make a point. I'm not saying that it cost 50k more in taxes to live on the Kansas side, however it is slightly more. My point is the using that kcmo etax as a reason to avoid living in the city of kcmo has always been one of the most ridiculous things I ever hear and it is totally blown out of proportion and has always been a pet peeve of mine. When I lived in Blue Springs, I had no problem paying the kc etax. I felt like it was one of the only ways I was still contributing to the things I often used in kcmo such as the zoo, starlight etc.

To answer the OP's question.

It basically comes down to lifestyle choice for the most part. Some people prefer the more hard core suburbia that Overland Park offers, some prefer a little more laid back version of JoCo with less traffic and less "keeping up with the Jones" that the Northland offers, some like the lake living and quaint downtown of Lee's Summit while still being in a suburb with good schools, some are from KS and want to remain there, some are from MO and want to remain there, some want a short commute. Some want more house for the money and are fine with living in Cass County or Independence, other want or need to be able to say they live in Leawood and are willing to pay for it, some like the better shopping found in Overland Park, some like the more blue collar feel of Blue Springs. Some like the historic and walkable areas of Brookside and will put up with the public schools. Some want to be in a very urban environment and prefer the plaza or downtown. Others want to be close to the city, but in KS and like Fairway or Prairie Village.

Once you get past the initial "JoCo push" that most new residents encounter and realize there is a whole metro out there, people will find something they like be it joco or a downtown highrise, a tiffany springs mcmanion, a modest ranch in raytown or a lakefront home lees summit.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-04-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,059,340 times
Of the people I know in the KC area, they moved to be close to their place of employment regardless of the state line.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM

3,626 posts, read 6,764,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Of the people I know in the KC area, they moved to be close to their place of employment regardless of the state line.
That's my story. I grew up in JoCo, and as a young adult lived in Overland Park. Started working in midtown KCMO, and since it looked like that was my "forever" job I decided to move to MO. I was single and didn't have a whole lot of money then, so I bought a house in Blue Springs. Then I got married and Mr. Dokie worked at KCI. So we moved North of the river. Stayed there until our 4 year detour to Oklahoma and when I retired we came right back to Clay County, since that is what we're familiar with and where our friends and most of our family is.

I've never had a burning desire to return to Johnson County. Too much traffic, too "keeping up with the Jones'" etc. etc. YMMV.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM

266 posts, read 473,173 times
Hold on a minute. MO's highest tax rate is only 6%, but starts at $9000. KS highest tax rate is 6.45%, but doesn't start until $30000 (with 6.25% at $15000). In other words, there is no possible way that someone earning 50k will pay $2500 extra in income taxes living in KS. Info from State Individual Income Tax Brackets for 2011, 2012.

Sales tax can be ~10% in the TIF'd districts in KCMO as well, so your jab at Town Center was a moot point.

The etax issue is not about 1% more tax than usual, it is about the complete disregard for the basics that the city has. Infrastructure is crumbling, the schools terrible, crime through the roof, and yet every year the city wants to expand the zoo, build a pointless streetcar system, build or renovate a stadium at taxpayer expense, or other large wasteful project. I do disagree with the KS tax schemes of building giant things that aren't needed, but at least the KS suburbs have done an excellent job of addressing the basics first.

For 2013 there will be some nice tax cuts in KS, 3% (down from 3.5%) for under 15000, and then 4.9% above 15000. Rough calculations show that someone earning 50k will save ~$600 in income taxes.

The best way to have a relatively less stressful life is to live on the side you work on. Commutes from LS to OP can be brutal, as can OP to downtown KC.

The laid back lifestyle you speak of in the Northland can also be enjoyed in JoCo inside 435. No one denies that south OP is a rat race.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,147,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post

The etax issue is not about 1% more tax than usual, it is about the complete disregard for the basics that the city has. Infrastructure is crumbling, the schools terrible, crime through the roof, and yet every year the city wants to expand the zoo, build a pointless streetcar system, build or renovate a stadium at taxpayer expense, or other large wasteful project.
Hold on a minute. All the party line, anti-KCMO red herrings (aka "infrastructure, schools, crime") are only "crumbling", "terrible", and "through the roof" compared to affluent suburbs. Compared to other actual cities, KCMO is clean, well-maintained, safe, and even the worst of it's 5 school districts is no worse than public schools in every other mid-sized or major city...plus, the best of its schools are every bit as good as JoCo schools.

And unlike suburbs, it offers things like zoos, pro sports, museums, nightlife, culture, dining options, vibrant urban areas, walkable neighborhoods and transit options (which, contrary to being wasteful, actually IS infrastructure). All of which cost money to maintain and operate. Suburbs don't have to spend money on them, BECAUSE THE CITY ALREADY DOES, and the suburbs are only able to attract people, jobs and money because the city provides that culture. That's why Johnson County is next to KCMO instead of Topeka.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Hold on a minute. MO's highest tax rate is only 6%, but starts at $9000. KS highest tax rate is 6.45%, but doesn't start until $30000 (with 6.25% at $15000). In other words, there is no possible way that someone earning 50k will pay $2500 extra in income taxes living in KS. Info from State Individual Income Tax Brackets for 2011, 2012.

Sales tax can be ~10% in the TIF'd districts in KCMO as well, so your jab at Town Center was a moot point.

The etax issue is not about 1% more tax than usual, it is about the complete disregard for the basics that the city has. Infrastructure is crumbling, the schools terrible, crime through the roof, and yet every year the city wants to expand the zoo, build a pointless streetcar system, build or renovate a stadium at taxpayer expense, or other large wasteful project. I do disagree with the KS tax schemes of building giant things that aren't needed, but at least the KS suburbs have done an excellent job of addressing the basics first.

For 2013 there will be some nice tax cuts in KS, 3% (down from 3.5%) for under 15000, and then 4.9% above 15000. Rough calculations show that someone earning 50k will save ~$600 in income taxes.

The best way to have a relatively less stressful life is to live on the side you work on. Commutes from LS to OP can be brutal, as can OP to downtown KC.

The laid back lifestyle you speak of in the Northland can also be enjoyed in JoCo inside 435. No one denies that south OP is a rat race.
My point was that it makes zero sense to avoid kcmo because of the etax and I stand by that. You can spin it all you want, but taxes are generally higher on the KS side and moving there to avoid paying the etax which amounts to only a few hundred dollars a year (or less when you consider it pays for trash pickup) is silly because in most other scenarios, you will end up paying more.

There is a reason why so many people buy homes in lees summit and liberty and downtown kcmo and commute to places like Leawood and OP. They like it there. Just like people the buy homes in OP and commute to KCMO etc. They like it there.

KC has so many highways with no traffic that you can live in any part of the city and commute to any place with almost no issues. I can only dream of a Lee's Summit to Overland Park commute where I "might" encounter a 5-10 minute delay and that's about as bad as it gets in kc.

And as far as wasting tax money. Umm, you need to think about what KS does. It's easy to say they have great infrastructure when the only parts of the state that are even growing are suburban. Any newer suburban area of any state has nice new infrastructure. Go figure. Kansas is about the only state that totally ignores the older urban areas of the state and instead subsidizes suburban sprawl at any cost. AMC is moving into a tax payer funded building in an affluent suburban zip code, just like so many other companies before them. Most retail development even in JoCo is subsidized. Oak Park mall has a tif. The Great Mall was built with tif and still gets annual subsidies just to keep it open, the Park Place development has been given tax breaks, so has the Sprint campus. That new mall (corbin park) or whatever has been handed all kinds of incentives and they still can’t get it off the ground. That new strip mall in south OP (Prairiefire?) is a freaking star bond project and it still took forever to get off the ground even though its practically funded with state money. Everything out by the speedway is subsidized, some of it all the way down to the check out stands inside the buildings. All while most of KCK and older parts of JoCo can’t get anything done. Why would anybody build an office in downtown KCK when you can get a free office building in Leawood? Why would anybody build on the Mission Mall or Metcalf South site when can get a free new mall at 135th and Mission?

Kansas subsidizes sprawl (often at the expense of nearby urban kcmo) to build up Johnson County and western Wyandotte County while the rest of the state couldn’t be more stagnant, especially its “crumbling” urban areas. KCMo has many thriving urban parts. Where are the thriving urban parts of KCK, Topeka or even Wichita? Where would Kansas be today if it was not subsidizing and crap out of suburban sprawl and poaching companies from kcmo? I bet you will never want to think about that. Nobody does.

So move out of KCMO to JoCo to avoid that pesky etax that helps fund much of what gives JoCo a quality of life higher than Salina, KS. I know everybody there thinks they don’t need kcmo, but if that were the case, every other car at every single kcmo attraction or entertainment area wouldn’t be a KS car.

KC is one metro area. But acts like four little metros that can’t get along for anything and actually harm each other quite often. But its’ all because of the kcmo etax and the tiny urban kcmo public school district.

Yea, sure it is…

Last edited by kcmo; 10-05-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or