Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,693 times

Advertisements

How is the KC metro area for someone looking for a job in manufacturing/warehouse? What is the average hourly rate for this kind of work in the area. Could I afford a 1 bedroom apartment or would I need 2 jobs to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 PM

20 posts, read 40,366 times
Prices are a lot lower than Maryland. With what you would pay for a one-bedroom apartment there, you could get a two-bedroom for the same monthly rate.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I wouldn't be surprised if prices in most of metro kc are higher than "western" Maryland which is considerably cheaper than the suburbs around DC or Baltimore. I think could live in metro KC off that salary. You might not be able to live in Overland Park or some other affluent suburb. Most jobs like that are around Lenexa and NKC so you could live in areas like Olathe and Independence or parts of Clay County I think and be fine.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billw76 View Post
How is the KC metro area for someone looking for a job in manufacturing/warehouse? What is the average hourly rate for this kind of work in the area. Could I afford a 1 bedroom apartment or would I need 2 jobs to survive.
KC took a big dump in manufacturing jobs last 10-20 years like everywhere else. It's starting to inch it's way back but you won't find many to choose from.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

KC is one of largest rail centers, which has a lot of warehousing along with it. That took a dump too but not as bad off as manufacturing.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM

639 posts, read 766,051 times
There's a Toy's R Us distribution in Lee's Summit, I think and a Kohl's distribution in Blue Springs, I think and a Dillards in Overland Park, again I think. You could find all price range of rents here and your money would go farther than Marylands I believe.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billw76 View Post
I believe the typical starting range for warehouse and many light manufacturing jobs is $9-$12 per hour, unless you have many years of experience or have a specific skill, like running a forklift, then you may be able to command a bit more. I do believe in many of these jobs, if you get in with a good company and stick with them, you can end up breaking into the $15-$20 per hour range, especially if you willingly work your way up in whatever way that you can.

Associated Wholesale Grocers in Kansas City, KS, which is a grocery distribution co-op for several brands of locally-owned grocery stores, is unionized and will pay better, provide benefits, etc. However, they work you hard and may demand overtime. I'm not sure which other warehousing operations provide as good of earning and benefits potential as AWG, but I'm sure there are others.

Sara Lee, Keebler Foods, Swift Transportation, UPS, and FedEx all have local operations, among many others.

I'm not sure that they're adding any new jobs, but a couple of the bigger manufacturers in the area include GM in Kansas City, KS, and Ford in Claycomo, MO.

Google is your friend in finding potential local employment opportunities. I also recommend looking up local staffing agencies and seeing what they have to offer.

Here's a comprehensive list of Kansas City area transportation-related (including warehousing) and manufacturing companies:

ThinkKC || Greater KC Profile

As far as apartments, in downtown Kansas City and the urban core, very nice 1-bedroom apartments often with granite countertops and the like can be had for $550 per month by people who make less than $28K per year. Although, the downtown apartment market doesn't have a lot of vacancies currently. And if you want a simpler apartment, they can be found for less. But I believe $550 per month is typical or average for your run-of-the-mill suburban one-bedroom apartment in a complex too. Again, if you really do your research, you can find rent for less, but you should make sure to check out any place that seems like a great deal to make sure the place suits your lifestyle.

You should be able to live without having to work two jobs, provided you play your cards right and don't spend more money than necessary on anything.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
IAs far as apartments, in downtown Kansas City and the urban core, very nice 1-bedroom apartments often with granite countertops and the like can be had for $550 per month by people who make less than $28K per year. Although, the downtown apartment market doesn't have a lot of vacancies currently. And if you want a simpler apartment, they can be found for less. But I believe $550 per month is typical or average for your run-of-the-mill suburban one-bedroom apartment in a complex too. Again, if you really do your research, you can find rent for less, but you should make sure to check out any place that seems like a great deal to make sure the place suits your lifestyle.

You should be able to live without having to work two jobs, provided you play your cards right and don't spend more money than necessary on anything.

Good luck.
COL in KC, MO for apartments is obviously less than JOCO. I doubt you would be able to find anything desirable at all at that price point.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
COL in KC, MO for apartments is obviously less than JOCO. I doubt you would be able to find anything desirable at all at that price point.
You're out of touch with the working class. Desirability is relative. A clean, safe one-bedroom apartment in a good area can be easily found in JoCo for $550 per month, with a pool no doubt. Search Apartments.com or ForRent.com and see for yourself. This is America and we have it pretty good. I'm sorry if your relatively high salary blinds your persepective. You probably think your persepective is average. You can even mortgage a condo in Brookside or Prairie Village, two of Kansas City's most desirable suburbs for less than $550 per month. Of course, you wouldn't know that unless you either had to or actually took the time to see what's available for somebody who makes half what you do and really see things from their perspective.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You're out of touch with the working class. Desirability is relative. A clean, safe one-bedroom apartment in a good area can be easily found in JoCo for $550 per month, with a pool no doubt. Search Apartments.com or ForRent.com and see for yourself. This is America and we have it pretty good. I'm sorry if your relatively high salary blinds your persepective. You probably think your persepective is average. You can even mortgage a condo in Brookside or Prairie Village, two of Kansas City's most desirable suburbs for less than $550 per month. Of course, you wouldn't know that unless you either had to or actually took the time to see what's available for somebody who makes half what you do and really see things from their perspective.
Hmm, I would have figured a 1 bedroom would be higher in JOCO considering property taxes in general are quite a bit higher. That does surprise me. You're wrong to pigeonhole me as I work with tons of white and blue collar people at my current job. I have plenty of perspective in life, unlike many of those that have rarely left the JOCO bubble.
Here was the source I was looking at: http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Kansa...unty-Apartment

Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,693 times
Thanks everyone for the replies and info.

I probably should have been a little more specific about where I live and got comparisons based off of that.

I do live in Western Md, the Hagerstown area to be more specific. Hagerstown is not a DC metro area far out suburb, but it is not too far outside of that area.

Rents here are usually about $550-600 a month for a one bedroom. You can find places in the $500 range but not very often. Warehouse jobs here usually start in the $10-12 an hour range.

I am licensed at my current job to drive forklifts. In previous jobs I've had the same license, plus also stand up lifts, motorized pallet jacks, reach lifts, and clamp lifts.

Thanks again for the replies, and I apologize for not being a little more specific about things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City