U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,057,246 times

Advertisements

Here in Toronto, EVERY TTC bus and street car has a lexan protective shield, that the driver locks in place, when he sits down in the driver's seat. The driver is completely protected, and safe. He/she also has the ability to set off a siren, and set off flashing lights and a horn, if he is threatened. The video cameras, all four of them, record in HD, and colour, and the on board cameras record to a hard drive on the vehicle, that can be data linked to all the Police cars in the city, immediately.

And the TTC has it's own lawyers that prosecute criminals that assault their employees, while on duty.

Assaulting a transit driver here, upon conviction is a year in prison , or a 3,000 dollar fine, or both.

Jim b

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
^I find the protective shield (cabin?) sad and pathetic, just as much as I do similar devices in convenience stores, banks, etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
KCMO and Baltimore are more and more alike everytime I watch the news.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 AM

Good police work again, as it appears they've already caught the guys!

Two in custody in bus driver attack - KansasCity.com

Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,942,160 times
I don't know if I should point this out here, but I've noticed that most of these sort of crimes are done by a particular type of person.. they tend to listen to rap music and think that violence is the answer. Usually has to do with upbringing more than anything and what crowd they hang around with.

I try not to be racist but there are obvious trends about who the most violent offenders are, they are usually black males. It would be interesting to know what goes through the mind of a person who would do this... why they act like this.. with that said they were together in a group and people will usually act more cocky in a group setting and do things they wouldn't normally do alone... pack mentality...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM

^I've wondered before if offenders of this type are basically sociopaths. I mean, they have no regard for society in general or the general public, and seem to have empathy limited only to their families and/or a select few. They are impulsive, emotionally unintelligent, and ready to do major harm to those whom they feel even slightly slighted by. I think a label that stings is needed to get the attention of younger people and discourage continuation of this sort of behavior.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^I've wondered before if offenders of this type are basically sociopaths. I mean, they have no regard for society in general or the general public, and seem to have empathy limited only to their families and/or a select few. They are impulsive, emotionally unintelligent, and ready to do major harm to those whom they feel even slightly slighted by. I think a label that stings is needed to get the attention of younger people and discourage continuation of this sort of behavior.
I guess "thugs" isn't getting it done. Like these types of people would care about a name, they would just use it as urban slang like they use the N word...

It does seem like if (and a big if) a lot of these violent young black males make it to their 40's without being killed or going to jail, that they eventually find peace with the word and realize they spent most of their lives being complete thugish morons for no other reason to "be legit" and show off to other complete morons.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 AM

44,564 posts, read 43,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
This makes me furious, I hope they catch this vile pair and the driver heals soon. These two thug punks need to be put to sleep not get free room/board and health care for years at the taxpayers expense. Just too much cuddling of criminals in this country. Scrape the carbuncles off the butt of society and we would all be better off.
You can't do that if no one was murdered. It's called cruel and unusual punishment according to the Constitution.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM

44,564 posts, read 43,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That's the thing with a sociopath. If the label stings, said person will take it as a slight and act violently. And that's for any sociopath.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I guess "thugs" isn't getting it done. Like these types of people would care about a name, they would just use it as urban slang like they use the N word...

It does seem like if (and a big if) a lot of these violent young black males make it to their 40's without being killed or going to jail, that they eventually find peace with the word and realize they spent most of their lives being complete thugish morons for no other reason to "be legit" and show off to other complete morons.
I don't know, from personal experience one thing black people absolutely hate is to be thought of as mentally ill. Imagine subjecting offenders to mental evaluations and being labeled sociopath (or whatever) publically on the news. Some of the ignorant types of the proud-to-be-ghetto variety, regardless of race, are dumb enough to value being shot, as if it's an honor or accomplishment, but even with that being true I'm not sure I see them taking on "sociopath" (or whatever) and wearing it as a badge. But I guess they might react with "I'll show you a sociopath....".

Regardless, what happened to that bus driver is horrible. I hate that it's bad enough that the stupid protective cabins are even being talked about for bus drivers. I don't want it to come to that. I think that coming to that is sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or