U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 1,764 times
Default Need help on where to live in KC area?

I'm 25 year old single male who is currently living in Salina, KS and will be moving to KC for a job in Gardner, ks. I'm originally from Bonner Springs/ Basehor, KS area so I have a general idea what the various cities in KC are like; however, since I moved away before I experienced them as an adult I'm not sure where the best place to live is at my age/ relationship status. I'd like to live on the Kansas side to simplify the tax issue but be able to experience the night life that the westport, plaza, P&L all provide. What are the best areas that I should be focusing my housing search on?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Aerowolf; 10-05-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 PM

19 posts, read 33,153 times
You're probably gonna want to move this to the Kansas City sub-forum for a better response

Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM

7,218 posts, read 8,420,150 times
If you don’t want to live in the city and be within walking distance or short cab ride within nightlife etc, I’m not sure it really matters where you live in the suburbs. All pretty much the same and would depend on how much you want to drive to reach the entertainment districts etc. Check out Roeland Park, Mission etc, those are decent modest areas close to the city.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,824,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowolf View Post
I'm 25 year old single male who is currently living in Salina, KS and will be moving to KC for a job in Gardner, ks. I'm originally from Bonner Springs/ Basehor, KS area so I have a general idea what the various cities in KC are like; however, since I moved away before I experienced them as an adult I'm not sure where the best place to live is at my age/ relationship status. I'd like to live on the Kansas side to simplify the tax issue but be able to experience the night life that the westport, plaza, P&L all provide. What are the best areas that I should be focusing my housing search on?

Thanks for your help
There's no where that would really allow for this -- you'll be driving distance from all the urban amenities unless you just decide to live in the city -- and of course that'd going to give you quite the commute. I'd probably split the difference and look for a place in the southern near-in Kansas 'burbs like Prairie Village.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM

70 posts, read 52,190 times
Downtown Overland Park has some bars, restaurants, coffee shops, farmer's market. It really is a nice place to hang out... Rent in that area shouldn't be too bad either...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM

697 posts, read 394,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There's no where that would really allow for this -- you'll be driving distance from all the urban amenities unless you just decide to live in the city -- and of course that'd going to give you quite the commute. I'd probably split the difference and look for a place in the southern near-in Kansas 'burbs like Prairie Village.
Eastern Rosedale. Loads of rentals, many in that price range. Relatively safe, essentially midtown, walkable to W. 39th and Westport.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,292,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad View Post
Downtown Overland Park has some bars, restaurants, coffee shops, farmer's market. It really is a nice place to hang out... Rent in that area shouldn't be too bad either...
Where is downtown OP? Do you have approximate streets or intersections? Thanks!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 33,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Where is downtown OP? Do you have approximate streets or intersections? Thanks!
80th and Marty area

Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 6 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,649,242 times
I would look some where near Merriam, Fairway along 50, 56 or Shawnee Mission Prkyway. That way you get close to one of the diagonal roads to get you into the Plaza West port area fast or back to Gardner. I think if you are going south west in the morning commute you would be going against traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City