Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

Independence is a suburb of Kansas City with about 120,000 residents. The city is quite diverse with aging urban areas, growing suburban areas and historic districts.

The city includes the metro area's largest Bass Pro Shops, the metro area's second largest shopping mall as well as a sports and events arena, a historic downtown, truman library, truman home, Chicago and Alton Depot, 1859 Jail, Vaile Mansion, Fort Osage etc.

Other more local attractions include the very popular 15 mile long Little Blue Trace bike trail, a water park, Cool Crest mini golf and gocarts and a state of the art public ice skating rink.

The Centerpoint Medical Center is one of the largest, most state of the art hospitals in the region and one of only a few in the entire KC area to offer Level II Trauma care.

Independence hosts the single largest festival in all of Kansas City when an estimated 250,000 people attend the Santa Cali Gon days (Santa Fe, California and Oregon Trails) Festival.

Independence along with KCMO and Lee's Summit also has an active Amtrak station and is aggressively pushing for commuter rail to link itself to downtown kc.

Independence is home to the popular Missouri Mavericks of the Central Hockey League and is also the new home of the Missouri Comets of the Major Indoor Soccer League.

The city is served by the Independence, Fort Osage and Blue Springs school districts.

http://www.visitindependence.com/

Here are some photos of Independence.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-05-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:31 PM

398 posts, read 993,812 times
This is a nice post. I haven't spent much time in Independence, but I have been to the Truman Home and Truman Library. That is the main thing Independence has that makes it special, imo. I really don't see these other attractions as being very special. If you are going to cite malls and Bass Pro Shops and events centers and hospitals and trails and festivals, Overland Park and KCK have a lot of those, too.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
If you are going to cite malls and Bass Pro Shops and events centers and hospitals and trails and festivals, Overland Park and KCK have a lot of those, too.
Yes, but see, the things that make Overland Park lame, and boring and blah are the exact same kinds of things that make Independence cool, and hip and awesome! (Just nod your head and smile ... )

Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Uhhhh.....
The thread is strictly about Indy. I didn't see anyone trying to make comparisons to Overland Park or KCK....
I think the point was that Independence is a full-service suburb with lots of things going on.
I've lived in Indy for 6 years now, and there have been tons of improvements in that time. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to live in a suburb that has a character of its own. It pre-dates KC by a few years, and has an early history to rival KC's. Not many burbs can claim that.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM

This is a thread about Independence, not kansas. Keep it that way.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM

You posted a thread a month ago about a theoretical "Vacation in Kansas City".

Link: Vacation in Kansas City?

When I pointed out that you did not mention one single thing a vacationer could do in all of Johnson County (yet seemed to mention everywhere else in the metro including KCK, Northland, east Jackson, etc.), your response to me was:

Quote:
No, because IMO, there is nothing there to do.
Now when boosting Independence, you are citing their mall (Oak Park Mall is better), their trail system (Johnson County's is better), an ice skating rink (Johnson County has one), a Level II Trauma Center (Overland Park Regional), and mini-golf (Johnson County has that too) as important attractions for Independence.

Don't tell me what I can write and what I can't write here. As long as I'm not violating any terms of service or being rude or disrespectful, I can write what I want here. I made my point, so unless someone else wants to continue this discussion I can let it go.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:14 AM

I cited those as Independence assets. Never said they were better (nor am I saying they are not as good).

This thread is only to show what Independence offers as a suburb AND a tourist destination. I simply described Independence.

When I visited KC, I visited the Truman Library, not the Indy Mall. (actually we did go to that mall, but didn't mention it in that thread precisely for the reason that it is a typical suburban regional mall).

If you want to do a similar thread on Overland Park go for it. I won't hold my breath though.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-08-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM

I apologize for sidetracking the conversation. I felt sorry for you that your thread wasn't getting any attention. Probably should not have commented at all.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
The bummer about Santa-Cali-Gon Days is that the festival directly conflicts with the Irish Festival in KC. Consequently, haven't made it to the former, yet.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
Nice pictures, kcmo. It's been a while since I've been to Independence. I think the Vail Mansion might have been the last thing I visited there.

I need to get back out there and get brushed up on what's new.

What's the theater on the square? I can't read the sign. I love to go to old theaters like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City