U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,524,779 times

Advertisements

I've made the commute from Independence to south Olathe several times (probably a similar distance as Westport and Gardener), and it was only 45 minutes during "rush" hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM

220 posts, read 359,567 times
45 minutes one way? an hour and a half round trip?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I've lived in the Plaza, Waldo, Lee's Summit, and back to the Plaza, and I would a million times rather be living in the Plaza, Westport, downtown, Crossroads, etc. than in Overland Park, were I in the original poster's position...probably lean toward the first two for simplification of work commute, though.

However, having lived in the Plaza with somebody who commuted to Olathe, very near Gardner, every day, I can say with confidence that the commute is very manageable. I've known/dated my share of young single guys who lived in south OP (mostly Garmin/Sprint employees). Every single one of them spent all their socializing time driving into KC's nightlife-oriented neighborhoods and squawked about being out in OP and how it's no place for young singles.

Overall, I'd say that if you really have an affinity for suburban life, go for it. If not, you have other options.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I've made the commute from Independence to south Olathe several times (probably a similar distance as Westport and Gardener), and it was only 45 minutes during "rush" hour.
The Independence/Lee's Summit to Olathe/Gardner stretch takes LOADS longer, on average, than going from Plaza/Westport to same, due to the mess that the Triangle can be coming from that direction in the a.m. I speak from significant perspective on both those drives.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Lots of good advice here. I would definitely live in the city. Lots of people drive into the city every day from Gardner, you would be going against traffic. I don't think the drive would be bad at all and from some parts of Overland Park, it could take 20-30 minutes to get to Gardner.

I have known quite a few younger single people that have moved to KC and settled in the outer suburbs. Most of them ended up having a completely different opinion of KC than those that lived in the city and many moved on to other cities because they didn't like it there even though they never really experienced living in KC.

If you live in southern OP or something, you will be around a lot of people that not only won't have a lot of interest in the city, but will flat out dislike the city and that will have a pretty drastic impact on how your social life will be. Now I know that plenty of people in the burbs go to the P&L District etc, but the city is generally viewed as a dangerous and far away place to most out there and most have no clue about 90% of what kcmo offers outside the plaza and p&l district. Live in a walkable area near other people your age and demographic.

I think you would be crazy to move to a new city as a young single person and live in such a sterile and soccer mom environment as southern JoCo.

Do the commute. Its only about ten minutes longer to drive from Downtown kcmo (30 min) than from most parts of OP (20 min). Your time in KC will be so much more enjoyable. FYI , downtown is about the same drive as the plaza etc because of highway access so most of the nice urban areas of kcmo are about the same commute so you should look at them all (river market, downtown, crossroads, westport, plaza etc).

Last edited by kcmo; 10-24-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,147,204 times
Then, once your here, look for a job closer in. When I moved here I live in Rosedale in KCK, worked in De Soto, then found a job in Leawood and now I work Downtown.

Alternately, you could tell your employer that their far-flung location sucks and is costing them talent.

Seriously though, KCMO is spot on. Young people who live in the outer suburbs by and large do not like their experience of KC. Young people who live closer in are more often shocked at how much they do. I am the latter.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM

I concur.

I did love the three years that I spent living in the historic district in downtown Lee's Summit, I'll be honest, but those were also three years I wasn't single or looking for happening nightlife, I was a homebody in a cohabiting relationship, doing the house/dog/picket fence/yardwork/gardening thing. Totally different kettle of fish. Now that I'm single, being in the city is preferable in terms of healthy social involvement.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,524,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The Independence/Lee's Summit to Olathe/Gardner stretch takes LOADS longer, on average, than going from Plaza/Westport to same, due to the mess that the Triangle can be coming from that direction in the a.m. I speak from significant perspective on both those drives.
I took 70 through downtown, then down 35.
Surprisingly little traffic through all that. The thickest part was on 35 between 635 and 69. 70 was only busy through Independence and cleared up past 435.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City