U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,917 times

Advertisements

My company is relocating to Gardner KS and as there are so many choices on where to live I'm trying to decide on the areas I should be focusing on. One of those zones is Southern overland park as it is close to Gardner which would make my commute shorter and there is tons of options on places to live.

However, everyone always complains that this is the suburban area for young couples and families with two kids and a dog. So as a mid twenties single male one of my variables for where to live is where I can meet people socially that are also similar to my current status.

So my question is, is OP a bad area for someone like me to live in? Are there many opportunities to meet people there if I did live there? What areas of OP are the best areas for me to be looking?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,147,204 times
Plenty of young single people live happily and meet people socially in Overland Park...but your odds will be several orders of magnitude better if you find a nice place in Westport, the Plaza, Midtown, Downtown or even Waldo. Most people who live in the urban core enjoy KC, and while I know a lot of suburbanites who enjoy their homes/lifestyles/lives as well, nowhere near as many particularly enjoy this city...which is a very cool, dynamic place, with lots of great energy, a lot of cool stuff to do, yet is laidback, unpretentious, cheap and fun. This city is like your favorite hoodie/jeans combo, but its suburbs are like the polo and khakis you have to wear to work.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 PM

220 posts, read 359,567 times
Pick a decent apartment complex in southern OP and hang out on places along 119th, easy enough to meet people there, and it's still a short drive from westport or the P&L, areas that are fun to visit but not exactly awesome to live in.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,222,457 times
Personally I think you'll be bored to pieces. I certainly would be, but I also think Westport is a very nice place to live, so you'll really get varying answers based on everyone's independent views on things of course.

There are certainly some young people who live in the apartment complexes in OP south of 435 but they seem, from what I've seen, to be people who already have ties to Kansas City -- whether they be from here or have gone to one of the Big 12 schools that pump graduates into the metro. So they already have a social leg up on you just by knowing people your age.

I hate long commutes, so I understand why southern OP makes a lot of sense for you, but I just think you'll have a fairly difficult time meeting people and will probably end up spending most of your social time closer to the city anyway.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM

414 posts, read 744,577 times
Really, you can meet people in OP. There are enough people around to keep the bars active. The bigger question you have to ask yourself is what kind of lifestyle do you want and what lifestyle do you want the people you meet to have.

In OP, you are probably going to find a lot of people who are really interested in starting a suburban family and having you join their church. There might be the odd one out here and there that is hiding out in the folk's basement until more appealing opportunities appear.

In more urban areas, you are going to find a greater variety, IMO. That can be a good thing if you are not yet sure of what you want from a one-night stand, fling or partner.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,147,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Pick a decent apartment complex in southern OP and hang out on places along 119th, easy enough to meet people there, and it's still a short drive from westport or the P&L, areas that are fun to visit but not exactly awesome to live in.
Westport is an awesome place to live in, one of the most complete neighborhoods in the midwest outside of Chicago. Nearly every mid-sized or large city has a neighborhood -- or, if they're blessed, a few neighborhoods -- like Westport, but it is without a doubt the funnest place to live in KC.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM

677 posts, read 1,146,764 times
I agree with everyone - except kc chris - westport/midtown are great areas to live in.

OP is not the ideal place for a young single male - it's more soccer mom friendly. You just need to weigh the importance of a shorter commute versus living in an area with more people in your peer group and a more lively social scene.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM

220 posts, read 359,567 times
If you're working in Gardner, Westport is going to suck to live in. Spending an hour and a half or more on the road commuting every day isn't how you meet new people.

Plenty of single college grads/professionals in southern OP.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,000,435 times
I think if you have a lot of disposable income and like to experience non-Applebee's type restaurants then Westport area is great for you. If you are from a smaller town OP might make the most sense because it seems like a lot of the younger people who settle in OP/Gardner tend to be from the more rural towns of Kansas.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,222,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
If you're working in Gardner, Westport is going to suck to live in. Spending an hour and a half or more on the road commuting every day isn't how you meet new people.

Plenty of single college grads/professionals in southern OP.
I've done the long commute thing before -- and it was way worse -- so that I could live in Chicago and work out in the 'burbs, and while you might be right if the OP would not be getting home until 6:30 or later on the weeknights, I don't think that's super applicable here. Unless he'll be working long or nontraditional hours he'll be home well before 6 p.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City