U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,120,232 times

Advertisements

You are in luck. Crossroads is S side of downtown area, with several bus lines including the Orange line shown in thread. Would suggest living anywhere along the orange line. Broadway is a few blocks walk from the 19th/Main MAX stop or from Convention Center stop. There are also bike rentals in that area and city buses allow bikes in front of bus.

You could do w/out a car but it would be convenient to have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM

353 posts, read 903,226 times
Then I either misunderstood Google or it has very old routes in the map.

There is only one area in KC called Crossroads right?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Just checked in more detail and it seems the office is at W 19th street.

Does that give you a better idea?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM

Yes, it's on the map below, the blue dot to left of "Crossroads" is at 19th/Main. Broadway is a few blocks or so W of this stop. There is also a bike rental station to W of stop. Is a good area to live if you can find something. Downtown rental units are over 95% occupied. If you can't find anything there, try anything along the Orange Line. Living along the 47 line is also doable but doesn't run as often, only every 20-30 minutes most of time.

47 line...
http://www.kcata.org/maps_schedules/routes/47_broadway/

Orange line again...

Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,275,993 times
^The new 47 runs a bit more often than the old 47. I don't understand KCATA's thought process because the 51 and 47 seem, in some ways, mostly flipped. It's weird. And they still have their old system map on the website which I think is crazy. That ought have been changed day 1 of the new routes.

OK, I'm looking at Google and I don't think they have the new routes properly updated. The 51 definitely runs along 39th St now but I'm not seeing that on here at all.

Wait, what? Ok I think they just marked the new #51 Ward Parkway as the #45 -- which doesn't appear from KCATA's website to exist

Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM

For some reason I completely forgot the map is not scaled. So I was very confused comparing it to Goole Maps. LOL

The Orange Line seems to drop me about 500 feet from the office, which shouldn't be more than a 10 minute walk, which is great.

So, Westport is a good option to live if I'm working at 19th?

Sorry for all the trouble and thank you all for your awesome feedback.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah, the map I posted is not to scale but is generally usable - see Google maps for actual size. The center of Westport is a 5-10 minute walk to Orange line or quick walk to 47 line (bicycle quicker). It is then about a 15-20 minute bus ride to 19th. Westport is place to live for most lively bar activity/ethnic eats or Plaza if you like shopping/chain or upper scale restarants. Downtown has quite a bit scattered about but evenings only lively when events going on. Also check Southmoreland area, which is near 43rd/Main Orange stop but also quick walk to Westport. W39th near State Line also a great area to live with funkly places/ethnic eats but 51 bus line to downtown doesn't run very often.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM

Awesome. It seems the Orange Line is one of the fastest lines, right? If so I'm counting myself blessed. Close to an efficient line that drops me close to work and to nice ammenities? Count ME in!

Now I only need to research where the ZipCar has their spots so I can go without a car at least for one year.

KC is looking better and better the more I research about it. :P

One last question off topic. Does a $1,500 budget for a two bedroom sounds good?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 PM

$1500 will get you a nice 2 bedroom in nicest buildings/areas. You could also lease from individuals in fairly upper end condo buildings.

ZipCar is currently only on UMKC campus, which is just SE of Westport/Plaza area - is not quite walkable but is near UMKC Orange line stop. I wish ZipCar would expand to other areas of city. Having a car is fairly cheap and more convenient so you may find yourself having one sooner but sounds like you can do w/out one if you really don't want a car. My brother did it but was used to not having a car in other cities.

Don't want to set your expectations too high. Chicago is a major world city, KC is mid-size and not as urbane but is hassle free. Chicago has everything, KC has quite a bit for a metro of 2M and if expectations aren't high. IE if you want access to PR culture, Chicago has it. KC Latino/Hispanic culture is primarily Mexican.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Hmm.. Then that does it for ZipCar I guess... It is still a tempting option.

I don't care much for a strong PR influence, I'm actually trying to run from them. I'm also indifferent to a strong Latin/Hispanic presence.

KC being smaller is one of its charms to me because pretty much any city in US will be bigger than San Juan, which is the biggest city in PR. A smaller city than Chicago is more desirable because my wife and I won't feel as overwhelmed.

And believe me, setting my expectations higher than San Juan is rather easy. I'll still be researching KC for ammenities and such. As long as there is Internet, movie theaters, shops, and a good variety of restaurants; I'm set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City