U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 AM

481 posts, read 579,989 times

Advertisements

It's a pretty safe area, even after dark. I lived in a loft there for a year and never had any problems. But again, always be aware of your surroundings. There are some housing projects just east of Columbus Park that have some shady characters, but for the most part people there watch out for any suspicious activity and immediately call the police. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I still think Garazzo's is your best choice...their meals are really large, so you could always split and get a couple salads. You can always tell them you are from out of town and on a budget and had heard of this place, I bet they would help you out...they are very friendly and it has that classic Italian theme, even constant Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Way to rep KC....don't think the OP was asking about St. Louis though
just being honest man.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
It's a pretty safe area, even after dark. I lived in a loft there for a year and never had any problems. But again, always be aware of your surroundings. There are some housing projects just east of Columbus Park that have some shady characters, but for the most part people there watch out for any suspicious activity and immediately call the police. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I still think Garazzo's is your best choice...their meals are really large, so you could always split and get a couple salads. You can always tell them you are from out of town and on a budget and had heard of this place, I bet they would help you out...they are very friendly and it has that classic Italian theme, even constant Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin playing.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm going to plan on Garozzo's then. Although I won't plan on them helping me out.. I did take a second glance at the menu and besides one or two items it was right in my budget. Plus, anywhere I can go and listen to Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra is ok in my book.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Really? Not more than one Italian restaurant in Little Italy??
like I said, don't get your hopes up. The Hill in StLouis is awesome.

There are some great things KC has that StL doesn't and some great things that StL has and KC doesn't.

This is one of them, so if you do ever get down to StL, you have to go there.

Garozzo's is pretty good though. I don't think it's too expensive, but I don't know what you want to spend.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
like I said, don't get your hopes up. The Hill in StLouis is awesome.

There are some great things KC has that StL doesn't and some great things that StL has and KC doesn't.

This is one of them.

Thanks for the heads up, I definitely will not plan my night around being in the area then. Would you still say Garozzo's would be the best Italian restaurant in the city for the price/experience at least?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I definitely will not plan my night around being in the area then. Would you still say Garozzo's would be the best Italian restaurant in the city for the price/experience at least?
Garozzo's is good, but I never thought it was amazing or anything. It has a neat atmosphere being in an older urban area near downtown and it's been there forever.

Personally, I like Lidias, but that place can be pricey. If you go, do the pasta trio. Anthonys downtown was ok, if that's still there.

Lidias is amazing, but it's a bit different than Garozzo's or others like them. I'm not a food snob, but I think it's more authentic Italian? I have no idea, but if you can swing it, Lidia's is one of the better Itilian places in the midwest and is in a pretty cool setting in the freighthouse near downtown. Figlio on the plaza is ok too. More for its plaza location though overlooking Mill Creek Park, it's obviously a more toursity area vs cultural.

Honestly outside of Lideas and maybe Garozzo's, KC is really just sort of lacking on the Italian scene a bit.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Honestly outside of Lideas and maybe Garozzo's, KC is really just sort of lacking on the Italian scene a bit.

Deleted the rest of that post, but thanks for the advice in it.

I was just surprised by this because, if I am correct.. Kansas City was quite heavily influenced by the mob/Italians?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Deleted the rest of that post, but thanks for the advice in it.

I was just surprised by this because, if I am correct.. Kansas City was quite heavily influenced by the mob/Italians?
Well, after they (mob) bombed all the places in the old river key, I guess KC never really recovered haha.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,998,962 times
KC doesn't really have a Little Italy, the Columbus Park area and Northeast in general is where a lot of the Italians settled but most have long since moved out. Its very different from the Hill in St Louis where properties are passed down to different generations and the Italian culture is still alive and kicking.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Columbus Park is now more Asian than Italian. There are very few Italian businesses left. KC doesn't have a concentrated Italian district anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City