U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times

Advertisements

Bella Napoli and Carollo's, both Italian delis, are the best bets for Italian in KC, for my money. For restaurants, I like Lidia's, because I favor northern Italian, cuisine-wise.

The owner of Pieroguys, which used to be in City Market and is now in Crossroads, is also Italian (though pierogies are decidedly not).
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM

519 posts, read 467,812 times
An excellent Italian restaurant-on 40 Highway is V's Italiano Ristorante.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
The culinary scene in KC matches up better to cities further west and south with the larger number of Mexican and Asian restaurants. It also doesn't hurt that KC receives a lot of in-migration from states in the Southwest. This partly explains the growing divergence of KC from cities closer to the Midwest core. A bit more Sunbelt influence.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^I was curious so I looked into this a bit, and while you're right that it was never a predominantly Sicilian enclave, there were certainly a large enough number to garner a place in the history of the neighborhood:

THEHILLSTL.COM - History
Cool. Thanks for digging that up.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The culinary scene in KC matches up better to cities further west and south with the larger number of Mexican and Asian restaurants. It also doesn't hurt that KC receives a lot of in-migration from states in the Southwest. This partly explains the growing divergence of KC from cities closer to the Midwest core. A bit more Sunbelt influence.
Sure, man. Does your pony do any other tricks?

There are larger percentages of Asians in Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, and Columbus.

KC has the same Asian % as Indy, and is only very slightly above StL, Cleveland, and Cincy.

And Mexicans? Maybe Milwaukee and Chicafo and Northeast Ohio and Western Michigan and Northern Indiana are the "sunbelt" too you, but most people don't grind their ax quite that far.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Interesting digest of the Mafia influence in KC up almost into the 90s.

AmericanMafia.com 26 Mafia Cities - Kansas City, MO>

Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Sure, man. Does your pony do any other tricks?

There are larger percentages of Asians in Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, and Columbus.

KC has the same Asian % as Indy, and is only very slightly above StL, Cleveland, and Cincy.

And Mexicans? Maybe Milwaukee and Chicafo and Northeast Ohio and Western Michigan and Northern Indiana are the "sunbelt" too you, but most people don't grind their ax quite that far.
I was talking about types and varieties of restaurants, not demographics but KC does get a lot of "transplants" of all types of people from the Southwest. That does influence the foodie culture to an extent. KC is at the edge of the Sunbelt in terms of average number of sunny days per year. I notice a huge difference in the sun angle and overall intensity of the sun after living in further north for quite some time.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 534 times
My wife and I lived in the KCK area when first married in 1971. The River Quay was just getting going as a renovation project when the mobs had their shootouts and bombings. It was nice until that happened, I don't expect any of that to ever return. It was the end of an era. Our favorite restaurant ever, I think it was called Scagglia's, was located where the off ramp to downtown is now from I-35 north. We had one very romantic meal, old world design, a bar to the left at you entered, excellent food. We had Italian sausage and sauce over spaghetti with a side salad. They had chunks of blue cheese in a clear sauce rather than the cream sauce prevalent now, superb. We had the one meal and it closed that night to be demolished. The family moved to a shopping center at Platt Woods. We drove by, took one look at the pink and white striped chairs of what had been a Baskin Robbins and drove on, no atmosphere. What I thought was Little Italy was more on Gladstone and St. John's on top of the hill. It was beautiful then. If you weren't Italian or did not take care of your home, you were invited to leave, and not by the police. Now it is coming back here and there but will never be what it was with all the Asians and blacks moving in. It is dangerous now, maybe not in the daytime so much, but not a family place. What we called the Cliff Drive is called another name and is now a repository to bags of trash and has drug dealers in hot cars on every turn, disgusting. The stuff of memories now, I had a lot of fun in those days. My aunt messed with the mob and ended up dead at one point, I think she was strangled, her neck was swollen at the funeral. She ran the bar at the Admiral Hotel on Paseo at one point. Her boyfriend was a soldier for Nick and Carl Civella. He was a lot of fun when he wasn't on the take. I beat him out eating hot Italian sausage at one point, but glad not to keep up relations. I will always wonder about her history, but most of that will never be put in book form anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City