U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM

353 posts, read 901,029 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a position in KCMO at 19th street, very close to the Orange Line bus stops close to that street. This is great because I will not have resources to buy a car during the first year at least, so I will depend on public transpotation during that time. On another thread the community informed me that that line is one of the best right now.

Although I don't want a car, I will get one eventually because everything points to the fact that transit in KCMO is not as bad as many other cities and having a car in KCMO is cheaper and safer compared to other cities.

So the question boils down to: where can I live along the Orange Line with the following characteristics?
1) Safe. Sure this may be subjective, but as safe as you feel an area is.
2) Close to groceries stores. No more than two bus stops away or a 5-10 minute walk.
3) Close to one or several coffee shops no more than two bus stops away.

I don't need a busy nightlife because my wife and I are not into the whole club/bar scene. We just need a safe and convenient place to live until I get a car. We love going to the movies and have nice dinners anywhere interesting (I'm crazy to try some of the KC's BBQ). We are comfortable about taking the bus or walking to get to these spots, as long as there is no need for a cab to do so.

We are not planning to have any children ever, so you can rule good schools out. We are also not planning to buy, so all rental places are fair game.

Oh yeah, forgot the budget. For now it is $1,500. Lower if possible.

Reading other threads I noticed the Westport area should be doable. Should any bus stop within Westport be doable for what we want?

Feel free to ask extra information you may need to provide advice.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I do not mind transferring buses, as long as it's only one bus and the commute is kept at less than 40 minutes. So if you think there is a neighborhood on another line that I could make work, please do let me know.

Last edited by efrenb5; 11-03-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
I would start your search in Westport because of its proximity to the MAX, but Volker and West Plaza are neighborhoods that hug the state line, and I suspect you'd like both neghborhoods quite a bit. 39th Street West, which runs through Volker, is a nice quiet strip of restaurants, coffee shops, vintage stores and a couple of bars. And it's still walking distance to the action in Westport when you want it. For your budget, you shouldn't have any problems renting a well updated single family, which would be nice if you want a bit more space and a bit of a back yard.

A couple places I saw on Craigslist just now that will give you an idea of what your budget will get you:

marble bath, c/a, w/d fenced yard, new and super clean
Near KU Med Center
Beautiful 4 Bedroom Home Near KU Med, Westport, Plaza
2 Bed & 2 Bath-Open flr plan w/Old World Charm

Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Quote:
So the question boils down to: where can I live along the Orange Line with the following characteristics?
1) Safe. Sure this may be subjective, but as safe as you feel an area is.
Relatively speaking, downtown is reasonably safe, Plaza to Brookside area is safe, Midtown around 39th to Armour leans less 'safe' but improving. Not as bad as KC's E Side. If someone was coming from S Central LA or S Side Chicago or N STL or central San Juan they'd think nothing of Armour to 39th. Some people fear the entire city core. Yeah, it's all relative.

Quote:
2) Close to groceries stores. No more than two bus stops away or a 5-10 minute walk.
There are a bunch of Asian markets near 3rd/Grand MAX stop
City Market is open daily but mostly active with vendors on Sat/Sun mornings
Consentino's market is near 12th street MAX stops (leans high end).
Costco (and Home Depot) is near Linwood MAX stop (bulk is not exactly transit friendly, maybe use ZipCar)
Thriftway is kinda considered ghetto but is near 39th/Main MAX stop (I go there sometimes, is doable).
An organic store is at 43rd/Main MAX stop
Whole Foods market is coming soon to UMKC MAX stop
Sunfresh in Westport is a bit of a haul but can do 39th street bus from MAX.
Brookside Consentino's and Price Chopper are near Brookside shops MAX stop

CVS drugstore is near 12th street, 39th and PLaza Library MAX stops

Quote:
3) Close to one or several coffee shops no more than two bus stops away.
3rd/Grand stop has coffeeshop in City Market and on Delaware
12th/Main has Starbucks and Latteland
Crown Center/Union Station MAX stops have coffee places indoors
43rd/Main has Starbucks nearby and several in Westport (this area has busiest coffeshops)
The Plaza MAX stop has a bunch of coffee places within Plaza (also among busiest coffeeshops)
UMKC stop has one near Pizza 51
Brookside stop has several in the shops area

Waldo stop at 75th also has a bunch of amenities to check out.

A majority of amenities of any type are in Midtown/Westport/Plaza area. Downtown is improving and great for events/cultural activities but still lacks wide variety of retail.

Quote:
Movies near MAX stops
Downtown - Drafthouse 14th/Main (indies/mainstream, very nice)
Crown Center - Screenland (indies/mainstream)
Westport - Tivoli (indies)
Plaza - Cinemark (14 stadium screens, mainstream, $4 afternoons)

Last edited by xenokc; 11-05-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM

That map is really detailed. I'll have to make a copy of it for future reference. I didn't ask you the first time, do you mind if I copy it?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM

When are you moving? I belong to a Facebook group called ""West Plaza and Volker Rentals and Real Estate" and they have a property up for grabs that is available in December that made me think of you.

$950 3 bed/1 bath top floor of Duplex, gorgeous neighborhood. Looks like it might move fast!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrenb5 View Post
That map is really detailed. I'll have to make a copy of it for future reference. I didn't ask you the first time, do you mind if I copy it?
Yeah no problem. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
When are you moving? I belong to a Facebook group called ""West Plaza and Volker Rentals and Real Estate" and they have a property up for grabs that is available in December that made me think of you.

$950 3 bed/1 bath top floor of Duplex, gorgeous neighborhood. Looks like it might move fast!
I'm currently on the interview phase, unfortunately. Right now I am building a list of KCMO's great/bad things to compare it against Chicago. So far KCMO is having just enough edge to make me go for it.

If everything goes according to plan, I would be moving sometime this December to KCMO. Is it very challenging to move during that month to KCMO?

Thank you for taking me into consideration. I will notify you if the job falls through to help me find a place if you don't mind.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 PM

You won't have as many options coming available to rent in December as you would in the peak months, but I don't think you'll have any major problems. You can potentially even find a deal because a landlord might well be concerned about being able to fill the building in Jan or Feb, which are much colder months. Weather will always be a question mark at that time of the year, but typically December isn't super snowy, which would make your move the hardest, obviously.

Just keep us updated, and we'll all be happy to help, and best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City