U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 PM

353 posts, read 905,852 times

Advertisements

As I said in this thread,
Places to live along Main MAX (Orange Line)
I am seriously considering moving to KCMO.

I will be renting probably forever, so I started to wonder what kind of things are commonly included in the rent. My highest budget is $1,500 for a two bedroom. 1 bathroom is enough.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, at Chicago, IL it is fairly common (at least from what I've read in that forum and rent searches I've done) to have heat, water, and hot water included in the rent. Is it the same with KCMO rentals? Either way, how much could I expect from heating costs? A big ballpark number is more than enough.

Also, a friend of mine that just moved to KCMO told me that some places also include washer and dryer. How common is this?

If this is not common, then how common is it to have a coin-op laundry per floor in a building?

Does anything else come to your mind that is commonly included in the rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM

35,851 posts, read 39,823,221 times
Every utility but electricity and internet is included in most places I have rented. I have also had on-site (but not in-unit) coin op washer and dryer access in each apartment building I've lived in (they have not been per floor, just in the basement for the whole building, but I also have lived exclusively in vintage - 1920s - apartment buildings), and onsite (free) washer and dryer in the house I rented.

Heating costs will vary wildly, depending on weather. Last winter was a nothing winter, and heating costs were low. The winter before was wall-to-wall blizzards, and costs went up accordingly. My heat is currently prorated, because my vintage building has boilers and radiator heat.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM

896 posts, read 1,445,393 times
My current place includes a washer and dryer, though it is optional. An apartment without one would be $40 or so less per month.

The common things bundled into your rent are water and trash. I don't know of any heat-paid apartments around here. I had one in Minneapolis, for which I was thankful. In Kansas City, where winters sometimes yield warm days, your heating cost should be less than Chicago.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,344,475 times
What utilities and amenities included in your rent will mostly depend on the kind of unit we're talking about -- a complex? a vintage apartment in good repair? or a vintage apartment in poor repair?

In Kansas City, just as in Chicago, the vast majority of places that include heat do so because they still run on radiators, so while yes, it is included, you likely have little or no control over it. You're probably going to be happier in the long run with a place with central HVAC that you pay for on your own.

Most newer complexes will have, at least, W/D hook-ups in the apartment, nicer vintage units will often have hook-ups in the basement for each unit, and less updated vintage places usually just have a coin operated W/D in the basement for all units to share or nothing at all. The place we currently live is actually the first where we haven't had an in-unit W/D -- I think we had one of the only vintage apartments with a stackable W/D in the entire city of Chicago when we lived there. That's usually reserved for condo-quality units.

Water (and sewer and trash) is almost always included in Kansas City (and Chicago). The only place I've ever paid for those was in Columbia, MO.

Heating costs will depend on whether you have gas or electric heat. Most older units will have gas, and that does tend to be pricier, though I prefer it anyway. It's almost impossible to ballpark because it will depend so much on both the size of the unit as well as the efficiency of your furnace and the quality of your windows and insulation. Our small, nicely updated, apartment in Westport never ran us more than $100 in a month, even when it was super cold, but our large, vintage place in Volker has terrible windows and insulation and our first winter here we had a bill of more than $300 one month. After that we put plastic up on the windows and bought a couple of electric space heaters and it was down in the high $100s.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM

220 posts, read 363,225 times
Water and trash included are common. Washer/Dryer hookups (sometimes the washer and dryer too) are common in newer apartments.

Electricity isn't included, heating is rarely included.

$1500 should more than do it here for rent+utilities on a 2bed/1bath.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM

I have been checking rental ads and it seems I may be able to lower the budget somewhat, which is awesome.

There have been several places where washer/dryer were included, which is even better.

I'm more interested in buildings or second floors. I'm sure that any yard and adyacent sidewalk would be my responsibility
to mow and keep clear of snow, something I'm not up to. So I'm trying to dodge first floors and houses. Do you think this will decrease my options greatly?

I'm expecting a $100-$300 heating bill for now. Only the first Winter in the apt will tell.

What about hot water? Is it always included or is it included in the heating bill?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM

^Hot water is either going to fall into your electric or your gas bill, depending on what runs your hot water heater.

I would say that for most apartments this will be something you pay for. In my vintage building however all 4 units share a large hot water heater and as such that's landlord paid.

Just because you have a first floor unit, I wouldn't expect you to be responsible for outdoor maintanance, although with a single family house that would be more likely.

I don't think it will be at all hard to find a place where you won't be responsible for that stuff if you don't want to be.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Then it's better than expected. I've been told that it's better to ask who's responsible for outdoor maintenance. This way it is clear right at the beginning.

What's the common heat fuel in KCMO? Oil, gas, electric, etc?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 AM

^Gas or electric, almost exclusively determined by the age of the building (the older the building the more likely to be gas heated)

Old 11-06-2012, 12:21 PM

so many new buildings use electric to heat apts? How high can the electric bill get during Winter I wonder. I've always read that electric heating is usually more expensive than gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City