U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,256 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in KCMO and have been living in Phoenix, AZ for the last 12 years. Next summer, once I complete grad school, I will be moving back to KCMO. I am recently single and in search of places to meet professional gays/lesbians. Is KCMO a reasonable place to live as a single lesbian in search of mature friendships/relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM

889 posts, read 1,427,701 times
A co-worker of mine just married a woman she met here in KC (neither are from the area originally), so there are people out there. My best advice: join young professionals clubs/societies, especially those related to your career.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Are you musically inclined, perchance?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
KC cracked top 25 cities for registered domestic partners, about the same in % as Phoenix. The most lesbian central place I've been in KC is a diner/restaurant... Succotash. Great place to hookup with peoples in any type of 'circle'. N KC is also known for a base of lesbian couples. JoCo has its share of professional lesbian couples - I work with one.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM

85 posts, read 264,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger38 View Post
I was born and raised in KCMO and have been living in Phoenix, AZ for the last 12 years. Next summer, once I complete grad school, I will be moving back to KCMO. I am recently single and in search of places to meet professional gays/lesbians. Is KCMO a reasonable place to live as a single lesbian in search of mature friendships/relationship?
@loneranger38

I'm not a lesbian but I relocated here from Atlnata. Don't do it! If you want to move somewhere, move to Atlanta. Lots of professional lesbians there of all races. These people here are too conservative, too closed minded and way too cliquish. When the opportunity knocks, I'm getting out of here. Move here at your own risk!

Last edited by Georgiapeach32; 11-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Add on

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
^Where in Kansas City do you live?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM

447 posts, read 765,296 times
If you grew up in KC, you probably have a lot of connections already in place. If you came out while you were away from KC, you will likely be surprised that most people - especially ones that know you - will not have any issues with your orientation.

KC has a very prominent LGBT community. Maybe this site can help: www.lgcckc.org

@ Peach - I think it is naturaly for some to plant roots where they grew up, and often find after they move away (even willingly) that they have fond memories and want to return home.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Georgiapeach is obviously a troller, has never posted in KC forum before. I spend a lot of time in Atlanta and it has its share of prudes too. I find ATL a bit boring city actually for its size. ATL has faux money people, KC is deeper into arts.

The OP was looking for gay professionals and not 'gay culture' but KC can crank up the rainbow meter at times. These were entirely produced in KCs Xroads district, everything about it local, and dozens of others...

SSION "CLOWN" Official Music Video - YouTube

SSION "WARM GLOVE" - YouTube

Last edited by xenokc; 11-15-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 AM

85 posts, read 264,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Georgiapeach is obviously a troller, has never posted in KC forum before. I spend a lot of time in Atlanta and it has its share of prudes too. I find ATL a bit boring city actually for its size. ATL has faux money people, KC is deeper into arts.

The OP was looking for gay professionals and not 'gay culture' but KC can crank up the rainbow meter at times. These were entirely produced in KCs Xroads district, everything about it local, and dozens of others...

SSION "CLOWN" Official Music Video - YouTube

SSION "WARM GLOVE" - YouTube
@xenokc
It's interesting that when someone has a different opinion, they are considered trolls. I've been on City Data for years and have no reason to troll. State my opinion, I WILL. The OP was seeking info and I provided. I still stand by my original opinion. Having lived in both KC and Atlanta, I find she will come into contact with more openly gay/lesbian professionals. Here, I meet lesbians who are still in the closet and it's ashamed. That speaks volumes about a place. Hope things will change here but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post
@xenokc
It's interesting that when someone has a different opinion, they are considered trolls. I've been on City Data for years and have no reason to troll. State my opinion, I WILL. The OP was seeking info and I provided. I still stand by my original opinion. Having lived in both KC and Atlanta, I find she will come into contact with more openly gay/lesbian professionals. Here, I meet lesbians who are still in the closet and it's ashamed. That speaks volumes about a place. Hope things will change here but I don't see that happening any time soon.
I have lots of homosexual friends who are out and perfectly happy. KC has a large LGBT community and very rarely do any of my friends run into trouble. KC also has a large network of LGBT bars and restaurants. You need to get out more. I have a couple of friends from Atlanta and they have both said bigotry towards minority groups are a big problem there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City