Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 13,808 times

Advertisements

Hey! This is my first post here and I'm hoping to get a little more information. I currently live in Evansville IN and am looking to relocate to the Kansas City KS/MO area. I have a 3 year old daughter so i'm really interested in hearing about the preschools and daycares in the area as well as the public schools.

Also i am currently a housing choice voucher holder and where i live at now you can find really nice houses and apartments on section 8 but it seems like all the places that i have been finding via the net for KC that accepts section 8 are really ran down.

I'm in a dire need of a change from where I am now and it helps that i have a significant other in the area but i'm not really depending on him to help me find my fit. If anyone could maybe point me into some single mother friendly areas and possible places or property managements that accept the housing voucher that would be great!

I'm not sure if they are billing or absorbing for vouchers in the KC area but my range on rent isn't much..i think im max'n out at 600.

Any information or help is greatly appreciated! thanx all!

Last edited by Tamajean; 09-25-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:26 PM

lol uh wow....okay thanx! (i think)

Just to let ya know...my "man" lives on the KS side and he has 2 jobs, so he does fine for himself as far as support.

It's me thats moving not him, and i'm not askin him to support I'm currently in school and was looking to transfer there, and i do have a job that would transfer with me as well.

Then again i dont know why im responding to your post when u didnt even answer any of my questions....i wanted to know about schools...and neighborhoods so i can decide for myself if the move is necessary! thanx.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,471,921 times
I know absolutely nothing about the section 8 voucher program in KC or the surrounding metro, but $600 actually isn't a bad rent budget here -- I live in a quite vintage but very large (more than 1200 sq/ft) apartment in the heart of the city and we pay $600. KC North, the older parts of JoCo etc. could work well for you. Just give Craiglist a look. A couple examples:

Best Price for a 2 Bedroom North of the River (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2586933193.html - broken link)Large 2 BR apartments at Amber Glenn! $$Move-In Special$$ (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2617384974.html - broken link)
Let Us Welcome You To Your Home (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2590384036.html - broken link)

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-26-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,445,462 times
I think there are decent section 8 in Lenexa, and Olathe, if you man works in Kansas this might be a good start to look. This area will also have good schools for you

Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 PM

thanx both aragx6 and brewcrew1000 i really appreciate the feedback. I've been checking out craigslist as well! I have a few months to go so I will continue my search and hopefully something good will come up!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM

thanx! i'm looking into that now!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 PM

831 posts, read 2,816,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajean View Post

seems like all the places that i have been finding via the net for KC that accepts section 8 are really ran down.
That's what section 8 is. Why should someone get something nice, on section 8?

Almost sounds like you're proud.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM

13 posts, read 34,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajean View Post
Hey! This is my first post here and I'm hoping to get a little more information. I currently live in Evansville IN and am looking to relocate to the Kansas City KS/MO area. I have a 3 year old daughter so i'm really interested in hearing about the preschools and daycares in the area as well as the public schools.

Also i am currently a housing choice voucher holder and where i live at now you can find really nice houses and apartments on section 8 but it seems like all the places that i have been finding via the net for KC that accepts section 8 are really ran down.

I'm in a dire need of a change from where I am now and it helps that i have a significant other in the area but i'm not really depending on him to help me find my fit. If anyone could maybe point me into some single mother friendly areas and possible places or property managements that accept the housing voucher that would be great!

I'm not sure if they are billing or absorbing for vouchers in the KC area but my range on rent isn't much..i think im max'n out at 600.

Any information or help is greatly appreciated! thanx all!
Hi Tamajean, Could you please tell me of any apartments that accept the Sec 8 voucher in Evansville, IN? I 'm running out of time; I will be homeless soon. It's close on 2 weeks into the month and they haven't even sent my voucher there yet. We are very low income and very worried. Like you, we are in bad need of relocation. If there's a place you can email me here on city-data I prefer you email me but if there isn't just post some apartments. Right now me and my mom live in a run down old trailer on the outskirts of this small town in IL. We don't have enough money to stay in a dumpy motel for 4 weeks. Besides we would like to avoid that if all possible. It's just very scary. I do know that Kansas City is very crime ridden just from online statistics.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM

13 posts, read 34,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
That's what section 8 is. Why should someone get something nice, on section 8?

Almost sounds like you're proud.
Hey Sas08 with all due respect why say something rude and mean like this to someone. You shouldn't assume that she is proud of being on Sec 8. Even poor folk deserve a decent place to live. I'm low income and I've lived in mostly dumpy places in my life. Nobody would wish to be so low income they qualify for Sec 8 housing assistance. People aren't happy with having to struggle every month to get by; they would rather have a good job and be successful. I take care of my mom; she has many health problems and has suffered allot of pain from migraines.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM

thank you Justin for your response. I dont really care too much for the posts that are negative because no one knows me. and no one can judge me. I have been living the KC area now with my section 8 and my job in overland park for 6 months now and I'm doing great! So thanx to those who tried to help me, and thanx to those who didn't. I didnt come to your city to mooch off your tax dollars, I'm actually working and paying my own taxes as well, not mention being a member of society, hell i even voted! LOL but anyways thanx to all have a great day. Justin i did inbox on you on a few places in Evansville I hope they are of some help to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City