U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
Lees Summit has supposedly passed the 100,000 residents mark-so it's not small or rural. The suburbs in Johnson county are also quite large-just because suburbs tell to be conservative doesn't mean they are small or non progressive-just like college towns in the upper midwest aren't for everyone-
Lee's Summit is mostly all suburban with a bit higher density near its Downtown core. Johnson county is more diverse INSIDE the 435 loop. The OP could check out some of the nice established areas of JOCO in old Leawood or a nice leafy neighborhood in northern Overland Park with lower property taxes. Outside of there is mainly all higher income/higher educational attainment but not as progressive. And I do prefer the Upper Midwest to the Lower Midwest any day of the week. Madison, WI is too large to be considered a "college town," and I work in IT in the private sector here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
Lees Summit has supposedly passed the 100,000 residents mark-so it's not small or rural. The suburbs in Johnson county are also quite large-just because suburbs tell to be conservative doesn't mean they are small or non progressive-just like college towns in the upper midwest aren't for everyone-
Not at all small or rural. But so spread out that various parts of it feel both small town (the area immediately around the historic downtown) and rural (the areas around Lake Jacomo, Longview Lake, Unity Village, etc.)

FWIW, despite it being the stronghold of the Jackson County Republicans, I also didn't find it to be an intensely conservative place to live, as a liberal democrat.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 AM

266 posts, read 473,016 times
Have you considered Mission and similar places in Northeast Johnson County? That area is both family friendly and progressive, granted not as liberal as the coasts, I don't think everyone wants THAT liberal anyway. You would be able to get a nicer house for 225k, as Brookside is way more expensive for the most part. If you end up giving up the homeschooling at any point, Shawnee Mission is a good school district. Mission has an old-school downtown, as do nearby Merriam and Shawnee. As far as the home styles go, most of the homes in Mission are '50s era ranches, however parts of PV and north OP have some really neat looking '60s-70s well I don't know what the exact style is but it looks a bit modern, has low sloped roofs where the ceilings vault to the contours and often have neat windows to match.... not sure what that style is called but the homes look really neat.

Honestly I think northeast JoCo is the nicest part to live in the metro, and could really take off in the next few years given some rebuilding. It's right in/by the fiber-center, next to the nightlife of Westport/Plaza, close enough to commuting to jobs in either near-plaza, downtown, or OP's college blvd corridor, right next to KUMed and Saint Luke's hospital (probably the best two in the metro). Also has thick tree cover, and has the suburban advantages of good schools and low crime. The area just needs (and is starting to get) some rebuilding and gentrification.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
I love almost all the suggestions here. If I were to put them in order of what I would consider I'd go:

Parkville -- your budget might limit you a bit here, but if you could find a place near Parkville's historic little downtown I suspect you'd quickly fall in love.
Brookside (and the areas suggested that surround it) -- this is not rural living to be sure, but it has a wonderful community feel and I suspect you'll love the architecture
Lee's Summit (the older parts Tabula suggested, not the newer sprawl-y areas) -- This is kind of a Parkville-lite
Mission, Westwood, Fairway, Prairie Village -- some of Kansas City's nicest inner-ring suburbs. It would be hard to go wrong here
Coleman Highlands -- some of the most lovely Craftsman homes I've ever seen and easily accessible to everything in the city.

Best of luck and feel free to ask more follow-up questions as you have them!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM

220 posts, read 359,474 times
I'd recommend Northern JoCo, Parkville or Lee's Summit, there are a lot more kid oriented activities in these areas and they have good schools for if/when you decide to stop home schooling (high school usually). For JoCo anything near Shawnee Mission Park would be great for kids and should be in your price range.

For home schooling, there's quite a few organizations here to support you, good place to start: Welcome to Midwest Parent Educators | Midwest Parent EducatorsMidwest Parent Educators Most are Christian oriented, however there are a few non secular ones in the city too if this is an issue.

Brookside is a neat area with a ton of culture mainly because of it's proximity to so many great things in KC, it's definitely more city though, and easy to stray into bad areas. You would probably be driving for kids activities.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM

677 posts, read 1,146,024 times
Northeast JoCo is nice, but for someone who specifically wants a historic home, I don't think the 50's ranches will be appealing.

I don't think it is "easy to stray into bad areas" outside of Brookside. It's pretty clear where the bad areas are and they are generally isolated to specific geographic regions of the city. Most people would have no reason to go to the truly bad areas and could easily avoid them.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Northeast JoCo is nice, but for someone who specifically wants a historic home, I don't think the 50's ranches will be appealing.

I don't think it is "easy to stray into bad areas" outside of Brookside. It's pretty clear where the bad areas are and they are generally isolated to specific geographic regions of the city. Most people would have no reason to go to the truly bad areas and could easily avoid them.
Agreed.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Agreed - this is the main strike against this part of town, considering the housing stock preferences the OP has stated.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
You would probably be driving for kids activities.
crazy talk. Ever spent any time in Brookside on the weekends? Kids and families everywhere and they are not inside of SUVs watching sponge bob on the flip down lcd...

We moved to the eastern suburbs from the Brookside area (something to this day I regret doing) and we often drove to Brookside to ride the trolley trail, go to festivals or even hit suicide hill after a fresh snow.

Lots and families and young children in the area and the area's housing stock is leaps and bounds above NE JoCo, most of which is closer to the housing stock in Raytown than Brookside.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM

There are pretty much constantly young families on foot/bike at the shops at Brookside, Brookside Boulevard & 63rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City