U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuan13 View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on the job in KC today. If you would have asked me a month ago if I was moving to Kansas City, I would have said no way. But life is funny that way. So now if anyone wants to throw out best locations to live, apt buildings, condos for rent, etc - feel free
Life is funny. What area of metro is job? Do you want city or suburbs? Will you have a car?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM

11 posts, read 23,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Life is funny. What area of metro is job? Do you want city or suburbs?
The job is near Lenexa. And I would probably say city - I'm a single guy, so I want to be in a more vibrant area. I wouldn't mind renting a loft space downtown if I can find out that I like.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 PM

Here's a list of downtown lofts, there are many dozens of loft buildings but most of the rentals are filled. Downtown rentals are over 95% occupied but you might find some high end units available and you mentioned higher income. Would also check into condo buildings as many owners lease out their units.

http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content...ing-Report.pdf

It is easier to get to Lenexa from downtown but midtown/Westport/Plaza areas are really the center of daily activity. At higher end, at least check out that Plaza - many high end apts/condos - a step higher than Cherry Creek Denver methinks. Has more daily foot traffic but the restaurants are mostly touristy/upscale, not as much urbane/ethnic - depends on tastes. Downtown has a lot more events and is usually only pumping when events are going on but does have a good variety of restaurants spread around. Downtown tends to appeal to under 35, Plaza tends to appeal to over 35, especially the condos. Midtown/Westport is a mix of everything, and I mean everything jumbled up, is the most diverse. Downtown has the loft scene (3 warehouse districts and office building conversions), midtown/Westport is more altie,ethnic and old stock of homes/apts and Plaza is more upscale hirise living with a mix of older stock of lowrise.

edit...
R u coming from San Juan or via somewhere east? Apparently two from PR at once seeking...

Last edited by xenokc; 11-21-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 AM

11 posts, read 23,122 times
Thanks for the info xenokc. There's definitely not much in the rental market right now, but I'll keep looking. With these occupancy rates coupled with the current mortgage rates, I'm tempted to buy if I find an area I like fairly quickly. Looks like I could easily turn it into a rental if I end up moving.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Might try renting at first to get a feel which hood you want to live in. There are many higher end condo units available to rent, both downtown and Plaza.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Interesting. A woman I met in Reno said that people there looked older than their age, presumably for the same reasons.
lol! I grew up in KC, have lived in Denver and LA the past 18 years. I don't think people in Denver look older. I personally use lots of sunblock, put on plenty of moisturizer (entire body) every day, and run a humidifier in our house. I definitely don't look older than I am.

For me, a big issue is humidity. Denver is dry enough in Summer that you don't sweat walking to your car from the front door. And there are very few bugs/mosquitoes too. So it's very comfortable to be outside pretty much every evening from mid May to early October. The low humidity also makes the cold feel better as well. I wear shorts in Denver on warmer days in Winter.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,163,977 times
I've lived in both cities and both are great places to live. It just depends on what you want and what you enjoy doing.

Kansas City-Cheaper, obviously. Green, beautiful and I read somewhere that KC has more parks per square mile then any other large city in the nation. Lots of reasonably priced older homes with great architecture (check out Prairie Village). Minimal traffic. Awful mass transit system but it's small enough right now that I'm not sure they really need it. Great culture and arts scene. Friendly people. Only downside to KC is the crummy weather and lack of access to adventure sports. Football, both college and the Chiefs, is a really big deal in the KC area. For me personally, having grown up out West it really sucked not having access to the mountains but that may not be important to you.

Denver-More expensive, obviously. Absolutely breath taking scenery close by in the Front Range and even more breath taking scenery deeper in the Rockies. I remember mountain biking at Lair O' The Bear state park in a green meadow with a bubbling mountain stream running a few feet from the trail and surrounded by forested mountains and thinking to myself 'didnt I see this view on a post card once'. There are a few pockets with some really nice, mid 19th century brick homes in central Northwest Denver but in general the residential architecture is ugly IMO. Traffic is not bad like L.A. but still can be a hassle. Really really poor mass transit system for a city of its size but I think they're working on improving it. People are really laid back and nice. Lots of medical (and I use the term medical very loosely here) marijuana dispensaries, particularly right along Federal between Alameda and Colfax but this issue could be a + or - depending on your view. The weather is absolutely perfect IMO and I wouldnt change a thing in this regard. Summers are characterized by warm, upper 80's to low 90's, dry days and cool evenings. Winters get intermittent snow and single digit temperatures but then the sun comes comes out after a few days, the temps jump back into the low 50's and all the snow melts.

Honestly, if access to lots of world class outdoor adventure sports venues and unbelievable scenery is important to you then I'd choose Denver. If those things don't matter to you then I'd choose Kansas City.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,163,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad View Post
Colorado, in general is meant to be enjoyed outside your home, not inside.
Could not have said it better myself.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM

30 posts, read 70,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I've lived in both cities and both are great places to live. It just depends on what you want and what you enjoy doing.

Kansas City-Cheaper, obviously. Green, beautiful and I read somewhere that KC has more parks per square mile then any other large city in the nation. Lots of reasonably priced older homes with great architecture (check out Prairie Village). Minimal traffic. Awful mass transit system but it's small enough right now that I'm not sure they really need it. Great culture and arts scene. Friendly people. Only downside to KC is the crummy weather and lack of access to adventure sports. Football, both college and the Chiefs, is a really big deal in the KC area. For me personally, having grown up out West it really sucked not having access to the mountains but that may not be important to you.

Denver-More expensive, obviously. Absolutely breath taking scenery close by in the Front Range and even more breath taking scenery deeper in the Rockies. I remember mountain biking at Lair O' The Bear state park in a green meadow with a bubbling mountain stream running a few feet from the trail and surrounded by forested mountains and thinking to myself 'didnt I see this view on a post card once'. There are a few pockets with some really nice, mid 19th century brick homes in central Northwest Denver but in general the residential architecture is ugly IMO. Traffic is not bad like L.A. but still can be a hassle. Really really poor mass transit system for a city of its size but I think they're working on improving it. People are really laid back and nice. Lots of medical (and I use the term medical very loosely here) marijuana dispensaries, particularly right along Federal between Alameda and Colfax but this issue could be a + or - depending on your view. The weather is absolutely perfect IMO and I wouldnt change a thing in this regard. Summers are characterized by warm, upper 80's to low 90's, dry days and cool evenings. Winters get intermittent snow and single digit temperatures but then the sun comes comes out after a few days, the temps jump back into the low 50's and all the snow melts.

Honestly, if access to lots of world class outdoor adventure sports venues and unbelievable scenery is important to you then I'd choose Denver. If those things don't matter to you then I'd choose Kansas City.
Great post, but I just had to respond to the "bolded" sentence. I think Denver has pretty good public transportation for a city it's size. The light rail isn't bad, and does extend to several of the primary suburban communities in the Denver metro. The bus system is very extensive. Aren't there shuttles that travel between Denver and some of the mountain resort towns? It's unfortunate they had to end the FREX between Denver and Colorado Springs (I never rode that bus, but it was something I had planned on doing at some point upon a return to Denver). I did ride the FLEX between Longmont and Fort Collins several times, and that was really cool (you really can't beat the price...$1.25 one way). Overall, I like the transportation system in Denver. All of the express and regional RTD busses are basically charter busses without restrooms (I've rode the BX and BV busses between Denver and Boulder, the L bus between Denver and Longmont, the BOLT bus between Boulder and Longmont, and maybe a few others).

Old 12-25-2012, 07:51 PM

16 posts, read 24,068 times
Many people cannot handle the altitude there, so do research on that before you decide. I have known people who lived in KCMO when I lived there and they moved to Denver only to turn around and come right back because of the altitude. Personally KCMO is a cheaper cost of living and the job market there is better than Denver. I live in Tampa, FL and will be moving back to KCMO in Aprild, so I am excited to leave the tropics to come home. We had a better life there than we have here. However, I hope that you like football because the KC Chiefs are everything there and they are all over the place. It is fun to tailgate with people and if you go to the games, you will be surrounded by 68,000 of your closest friends. KC Chiefs fans love other fans; it's a huge family. I have never seen anything like this before. And it is the LOUDEST stadium in the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or