U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 AM

11 posts, read 23,118 times

Advertisements

Yes, yet another relocation thread. I'm just looking for some opinions on a possible move to the area. I've been looking to move out west for a while and have been weighing offers in Denver, but then a position in KC popped up recently. Career wise, the KC offer is a higher level than what I'm considering in Denver, but socially I only know one person in the area (former coworker) while I have multiple friends in Denver. So I obviously have some life balance questions that I need to consider/answer. By the way, I'm a single male in my late 30's.

So if anyone has any input as to the pros and cons of KC for my demographic, or by chance anyone has lived in both locations and can compare the two, I'd appreciate any input and opinions.

TIA and have a great Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Denver has progressed faster in terms of city infrastructure.. better transit, airport, outdoor life and they have mountains. Denver is less humid in summer but longer winters.

KC is stronger in the arts and eats by far, Denver slightly stronger in sports and definitely with health attitude, one of healthiest cities. Denver has a much better downtown but KC's continues to improve and KC has the Plaza and Westport and more hoods outside downtown that are a bit more walkable. KC has a fairly decent urban stretch for 50+ blocks. Denver has more amenities mostly focused downtown.

Depends on your interests. Denver is larger and well rounded in many areas. KC has a lot of weak points to still work on but stronger especially in arts. KC is cheaper, especially housing. Neither city sucks - Denver has more breadth, KC has more depth in some areas. Visit both, should become clear which you like more pretty quickly.

Just found this the other day and it's interesting to see perceptions from outsiders on cities. KC comes in higher than Denver in quite a few categories. It's a 'perception' based list from visitor and local perspectives...

America's Favorite Cities 2012 - Kansas City | Travel + Leisure
America's Favorite Cities 2012 - Denver | Travel + Leisure

Here's a city guide for KC city core to give you some idea of layout...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM

677 posts, read 1,145,583 times
I think xeno summed it up pretty well.

Denver is a bit bigger and has some inherit advantages, but I don't think there is a drastic difference in what the cities have to offer - aside from the mountains and outdoor recreation in Denver.

So, if you're into hiking, biking, etc, then Denver would be the clear choice. If you are into arts and theater, I think KC has an advantage.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 AM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Denver has a better urban core, more walkable dense urban neighborhoods that are WELL KEPT, a great selection of pro sports teams, much healthier than many larger cities in the US, easy access to outdoor recreation, and a better overall climate for those that prefer sunnier weather and low humidity. Denver also has more transplants and tends to be less insular compared to KC because of that. Denver COL is a bit higher than KC but that is due to supply/demand factors. Wages in Denver are often a bit less compared to COL. Singles scene is better in Denver than KC without a doubt. KC social culture is too influenced by the rural Midwest. Denver is isolated from other cities so that could be a disadvantage if you don't like flying as much.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Denver also has more transplants and tends to be less insular compared to KC because of that. KC social culture is too influenced by the rural Midwest.
Denver does have more transplants but about half of KC's growth is from larger cities outside this side of midwest region and a significant majority of regional is from STL, Omaha, Des Moines, so not at all 'too' influenced by rural Midwest. But since Denver is growing faster and CO has a small rural population, I would otherwise agree that relatively speaking, this is true.

As far as singles scene. Denver definitely wins for under 35 though locals complain there are too many single guys, they call it Menver. For over 35, KC has a more mature arts/foodie scene with significantly more depth so not sure I'd agree for older adults, depends on interests. Denver not at all in same category in arts, KC often hits top 10 lists for arts.

And with the thin dry air and higher radiation exposure in Denver, 40 year olds look like they are 60. KC OTOH has its share of excessive fatties.

If a bit geeky, KC has Google gigabit fiber, which is cheap. No other city has it. Its already driving an increase of tech startups.

Last edited by xenokc; 11-18-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM

This is curious from the T&L poll. This poll btw involved 40 thousand participants. While 'not scientific', that's more than the Feds use to determine the unemployment rate. More than exit polls during the election, which are scary accurate. But OK, it's just another list...

America's Favorite Cities 2012 - City Comparison - Kansas City vs Denver | Travel + Leisure

I find that people who bash KC on this site are either not into the arts and have no clue what's going on in the city, or lost their job here and blame it on the city.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
I find that people who bash KC on this site are either not into the arts and have no clue what's going on in the city, or lost their job here and blame it on the city.
huh? what people are bashing kc and what people have lost their jobs and blame kc for it? I hope you are not talking about me because I don't bash kc (although I will say what needs to be said at times) and certainly don't blame the city for losing my job there. I guess I don’t know who else you are talking about.

Having said that, I’m rather impressed by the level headed responses here. Denver has always been one of my favorite cities and I have stated I generally prefer it over KC for personal taste reasons (and have been blasted for saying so), but KCMO competes well with Denver on most quality of life issues for those that want an urban lifestyle.

As mentioned, KC has a stronger arts scene and has a bit more grit and soul than Denver and KC seems to have more history and urban charm in my opinion. While Denver has about a decade head start on redeveloping their downtown, they have also become extremely gentrified almost to the point of monotony. But that’s what you get for being a high demand city that everybody wants to live in. KC is very much an under the radar city nationally, although I think KC is probably the most underrated major city in the country.

My biggest beef with Denver is that it is so isolated from the rest of the country. Colorado is an amazing place and that state can keep you busy, but if you want to regularly interact with other cities, KC is much closer to other large metros and more of the national population. You can live in KC and easily visit the CO mountains once or twice a year, yet you can also be in places like Chicago and MSP and St Louis and many others in a relatively short amount of time.

Also Denver’s salaries don’t seem to keep up with the cost of living there and real estate there is expensive, especially in the city.

While Denver is “near” the mountains, most of the metro outside the far western sprawl, which is creeping into the front range, is flat and barren. Compared to Denver, KC is hilly, lush and green and has less smog. KC has almost no traffic or parking problems for a city its size and is very easy to navigate and take full advantage of its amenities.

The good things about Denver is they are very progressive, active, healthy, urban oriented, well used transit everywhere and the entire metro area is generally on the same page, all things that frustrate me about KC. Denver has less blight and crime and they will often redevelop areas vs total abandonment which is very common in metro KC. Also Denver has a well connected airport and it just acts more like a big city, gets into pro sports etc vs KC which often acts like a bunch of small metros that are near each other and tends to take on more of a giant college town culture in many regards, which many people like about KC (not my thing).

I like both cities as they both offer most of what you would want in a major metro and one of the better things about KC is that it’s the closest big city to Denver and the rest of CO. I think you would probably be very happy in either.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
I've always found Denver and Kansas City to be surprisingly similar -- laid back, similar architecture, generally more car centric than older cities farther east. If you like Denver I don't see much reason to not like Kansas City other than what I consider two key differences: Easy accessibility to the great outdoors, and public transportation. As a whole I think they have more in common than they are unlike. Kansas City's cost of living can't be beat and is a huge advantage.

So in summation: If you have a good job opportunity here, I think you should go for it!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
huh? what people are bashing kc and what people have lost their jobs and blame kc for it? I hope you are not talking about me because I don't bash kc (although I will say what needs to be said at times) and certainly don't blame the city for losing my job there. I guess I donít know who else you are talking about.
No you for the most part give a pretty balanced view - we are both well traveled and often really say the same thing, just differently.

I like Denver on paper, they have built up all the components a city needs. I go for the mountains but otherwise can't click with it, feels fabricated and everything is on the surface, lacks depth, maybe is the lack of green and fewer trees as well. Going to arts related functions is odd, more like Atlanta and Dallas - feels very surfaced. Midwest is deeper in that regard. Prefer Minneapolis and Seattle to Denver but Denver has progressed enough to be in that league - and tops for outdoor life. However I think KC is more livable than Denver and Seattle (interesting that the poll above agrees). MSP is probably my top 3 favorite city in America, but insane winters. Got to be a winter person to live there.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
^I have a friend who swears by MPLS and has been trying to convince me of its merits for years, but I don't think I could live somewhere colder than Chicago. That's just not going to work. It actually seems like it's filling up with ex-Chicagoans who can't stomach the Chicago prices anymore. Much easier to be a starving artist in a town like Minneapolis. I need to get up there and spend some time in the city though. It's on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or