U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,250,226 times

Advertisements

I don't think you'll be alone on the bus at all, or very rarely anyway, and I wouldn't have much concern about you walking around the neighborhood even at night. I will say, however, that I'd probably suggest your wife not walk alone at night if it can be helped if she's outside of pedestrian heavy neighborhoods like the Plaza or Westport. I say this as a woman who doesn't scare easily and has lived in the city for a long time, but who leans toward the slightly cautious side of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
That's something to consider in most any city, including Chicago (which I know you were also looking at). My older single sister lives in the city core and has not had problems but at night, in general single women walking around alone in any city need to be wary and do things like cross to other side of street if seeing something uncomfortable. My sister will call someone on cellphone and chat while walking, less likely to be approached.
Most cops urge you against doing this if only because it can give the appearance that you're not paying attention to your surroundings. Mostly keep your head up and don't mess around on your phone or stick earbuds in and forget the world around you.

And I agree that that's every city. When we lived in Chicago I would walk in the pedestrian-filled heart of my neighborhood with no concerns, but I wouldn't walk up the residential side streets at night by myself.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM

353 posts, read 902,536 times
Awesome tips guys. Thanks!

Yeah, Chicago is still an option, but from my research and compared to SJ its main advantage is how easy it is to live without a car.

In my case, KCMO looks better, specially cost of life. If I have to live with the inconvenience of not having a car for a year, then so be it. Moving with the bus doesn't sound that bad, assuming I find a convenient apartment of course.

I have been looking at some maps, but I'm still confused about the boundaries of the Plaza and Westport neighborhoods. Can anyone tell me the streets that limit these places?

For now, those two are the areas I am focusing more right now.

I have yet to check other neighborhoods along the bus lines east of Troost and check if anything looks good as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM

Westport's main boundaries would be 39th on the north, 43rd on the south, Main on the east and Southwest trafficway on the west, but the heart of the neighborhood, and the most pedestrian heavy spot, is right at the intersection of Pennsylvania and Westport Rd.

The Plaza is 43rd on the North, Ward Parkway on the south, Madison/Belleview on the west and Main (or arguably JC Nichols Parkway) on the east. The most heavily trafficked areas will be south of St. Luke's Hospital and between Madison and JC Nichols.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM

712 posts, read 1,894,400 times
Pedestrians walk by my house all day-night.. depends on your area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City