U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM

353 posts, read 901,279 times

Advertisements

As some of you may already know, I am currently in the process of interviewing for a position in KCMO and am planning on moving there without a car for the first several months, and possibly the first year.

I have been checking around the Main MAX route using Google's Street View and I have noticed that there are hardly any pedestrians, not even close to the stops. I'm not expecting a sea of people of course, but the lack of pedestrians is concerning.

Are busses used much or by many people? Would I be safe taking a bus at 9 or 10 PM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
KC is not as dense as other cities and yes most people drive since it is cheap to drive and parking is easy. However I take the bus and have no issues on the Orange MAX line, including at night. KC has high crime on E side but not as bad along that line, not like central San Juan. KC has pockets of pedestrian active areas but city wide, its pretty thinned out compared to large cities.

If you want constant big city vibe, KC may not be for you. If you want many big city amenities with few hassles, KCs lower density has its benefits.

See this thread for city views, ther are many others...
kc core dump - misc street views

Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 PM

I'm not that interested about a big city vibe. Believe, compared to San Juan, Puerto Rico, pretty much ANYWHERE in the US will feel bigger. So KCMO will surely feel bigger and busier than SJ, PR.

It just stroke me as weird to see such an active bus route (15 minutes buses right?) and barely any pedestrians along its route.

From which street or avenue would you say the "dangerous" part of KCMO begins?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM

The Plaza and Westport areas are more pedestrian active and downtown during events.

Max runs every 10 min during day and 15 at night/weekends.

KCs most problems are generally E of Troost, some E hoods are very very bad. The city core stretch along Max Orange has its share of crime too (Armour to 39th relatively higher along that line) but ranks lower than avg city cores like Dallas, Minneapolis and STL. Be wary at night and you'll be OK but yeah, higher crime happens in city central compared to burbs.

What is largest city you have lived, can make comparisons.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Lived all my live in SJ, PR.

I have visited Orlando, FL often for the theme parks. Most of my drives there have been along the International Drive; which felt far more alive and safe than many places in SJ, and far more businesses in any similar stretch.

I have visited Miami, FL a couple of times as well. Lots more people and traffic than compared to SJ, PR; however, it did gave me an air of similarity with SJ, don't really know what was it.

I did go to Boston for two weeks, but barely did anything because my brother couldn't get off work, so I can't make any real comparisons against SJ. Went to a mall, Castle Island, drove to an iHop, and to some Christmas house with a lot of lights. It did feel bigger than SJ though.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Density wise KC is more comparable to Orlando but KC city core is older with a larger somewhat urbane stretch. Miami is odd to compare to, KC is so much better as a livable city methinks but KC is nothing like Miami coast of course. I've taken Miami people (from our Miami office) out many times in KC and they were astounded by what KC has (especially how deep the rabbit hole can go) - they say no one dares to go to Downtown Miami at night and they find Miami Beach too touristy and excessively scenester. Style is very important in Miami, KC is completely opposite and about being casual. Boston is a major richly urbane city that is highly dense with high ranked transit, closer to Chicago. KC not at all in that category in terms of urbanity/history but KC does compare closer to Boston in the arts/eats. Miami obviously strong in Latino culture and Orlando in amusement park/touristy like performance arts, KC otherwise stronger than the latter two in arts. KC's Latino culture is primarily Mexican/Central American, not much PR (though I've run into a few). KC is above average in sports culture, especially soccer and football.

Last edited by xenokc; 11-18-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
The Plaza and Westport areas are more pedestrian active and downtown during events.

Max runs every 10 min during day and 15 at night/weekends.

KCs most problems are generally E of Troost, some E hoods are very very bad. The city core stretch along Max Orange has its share of crime too (Armour to 39th relatively higher along that line) but ranks lower than avg city cores like Dallas, Minneapolis and STL. Be wary at night and you'll be OK but yeah, higher crime happens in city central compared to burbs.

What is largest city you have lived, can make comparisons.
International Drive is just sprawl, Orlando has a decent downtown, did you go there? KC feels much larger than Orlando though, especially in the urban core. KC does lack pedestrian activity, but one thing about KC is that the liveliest areas of the city (The Plaza, Westport etc) are not downtown. Till about six years ago, downtown KC was nothing but office workers. That’s gotten a lot better and downtown KC has developed into a really nice urban residential neighborhood.

Everybody drives in KC, but the north south liner core of kcmo from downtown to the plaza is very transit friendly. So while most people outside of that core of the city wouldn’t touch a city bus, those that live and work in the city use them all the time.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by KC, especially with what appears to be a very limited exposure to major USA cities. A good friend of mine is from SJ and she loves KC more than most locals do.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 AM

That's my perception right now. Wherever I move I'll have mostly a nice surprise. As a friend of mine living in the States say: "anywhere is an upgrade from PR."

I was just a little concerned that I would be all alone riding the bus or walking around the neighborhoods. This invites thieves and all kind of unsavory people. I'm specially concerned about my wife walking alone.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
International Drive is just sprawl, Orlando has a decent downtown, did you go there?
Yes, I'm pulled there about every other year (and been to most top 50 US cities many times over). I was saying that compared to Boston and Miami, KC density is closer to Orlando but with a larger urban core, which relatively speaking is not off base.

BTW efrenb5, while KC doesn't have the history of Boston or Chicago, it still has a lot of depth. This era doesn't exist anymore, would be awesome to visit it...

KCRag Forum - View topic - When Downtown KC was a powerhouse - A must see for all

Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrenb5 View Post
I was just a little concerned that I would be all alone riding the bus or walking around the neighborhoods. This invites thieves and all kind of unsavory people. I'm specially concerned about my wife walking alone.
That's something to consider in most any city, including Chicago (which I know you were also looking at). My older single sister lives in the city core and has not had problems but at night, in general single women walking around alone in any city need to be wary and do things like cross to other side of street if seeing something uncomfortable. My sister will call someone on cellphone and chat while walking, less likely to be approached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City