U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,124,142 times

Advertisements

For KC street Mex, see this thread..

KCRag Forum - View topic - favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM

35,835 posts, read 39,624,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Funny you mention Eggtc. I left a bottle there a few times a year+ ago and they liked it so started to carry it. Try their breakfast tacos... corn tortillas, egg, avocado, mango salsa, cilantro and black beans. Pretty good.

There's a Central American place in City Market that carries Marie Sharps (it's from Belize). For some reason Chinatown Market nearby carries every variety. Go for the citrus based ones like grapefruit and orange. The citrus opens the pores to allow the wonderful habanero capsaicin acid in. I use it mostly for breakfast or if running across boring food.
I swear Eggtc. had it on tables when I first moved to KC in '07 and lived in the neighborhood the first time around. My ex lived for their despierto burrito, but I'm more an omelet girl. The breakfast tacos sound good, though.

My pick for Tex-Mex is always Chelly's Cafe at 85th and Wornall-ish.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Huh, I've been going there since they opened and never saw it until the last year. They've asked me about the sauce when I brought it in and so left some. They always carried Cholula though, as most above avg KC breakfast places do.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,009,485 times
Freebirds kind of sucks, its run by a bunch of Hipsters who are too busy chatting it up with other co-workers. The whole place is unorganized and the ordering process is very chaotic, to get a good burrito you have to get the toppings just right otherwise it will be kind of bland. Also they ran out of salsa when i was there.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,293,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Freebirds kind of sucks, its run by a bunch of Hipsters who are too busy chatting it up with other co-workers. The whole place is unorganized and the ordering process is very chaotic, to get a good burrito you have to get the toppings just right otherwise it will be kind of bland. Also they ran out of salsa when i was there.
With all the ingredients they have this place must be an ordering manager's worst nightmare. Unless it's expertly run I have to imagine they either run out of or throw out things that have expired all the darn time.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 PM

35,835 posts, read 39,624,392 times
The complaints that people seem to have mirror my experience at Costa Vida...another place of similar concept that I found bland and mediocre.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
That was my impression. HipsterMex. If you know how to build something decent and bring your own favorite hot sauce/salsa, it is then doable.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 AM

88 posts, read 131,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think my SO and I were the only people to ever have a terrible experience at Cancun Fiesta Fresh based on what I hear. We went there when we first moved to Westport because it was right across the street and it was bland beyond all repair.

I might be inclined to try again -- what does everyone suggest?
I'm not really a fan of Cancun Fiesta Fresh to be honest that place kinda sucks and the food was bland to me.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 AM

Cauncun Fiesta makes proper carnitas street tacos - supposed to be simple, not a bunch of crap like gringofied places - meat, onions, cilantro on warm corn tortillas served with lime and maybe a wedge of something like pickled carrot. Is only thing I do there but not on same level as Ricos or KCK places. Their salsa verde is good on it, plus I carry mine. Some of the KCK places have the most intense tomatillo salsas you can imagine, like Tortilleria San Antonio (and market, feels like S Mexico markets I've been to) and Ninfas, sweat down back of neck goodness, yet doesn't destroy the eats.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,293,718 times
^I'll have to try the carnitas. We got beef and even a little bit of salt would have been welcome. Love the onions and cilantro though -- simple is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City