U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times

Advertisements

Well, just to back up what has already been said. I personally see you having zero problems. Sounds like your wife does not understand that KC is a major metropolitan area. You are talking about the urban core of a pretty urban central city and metro of over 2 million people. Gays, mixed couples etc wouldn't have any more issues in KC than any other major city and KC is probably better than many similar sized metros. I could be nuts, but KC feels less "white" than many large metros like Portland, Seattle, Boston, MSP etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 PM

88 posts, read 130,663 times
I don't have the stats to back up this claim but it seems like crime in Westport has gone down. I haven't heard of many shootings or robberies this year.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:22 AM

353 posts, read 901,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Sounds like your wife does not understand that KC is a major metropolitan area.
My wife and I both. We have lived all our lives in Puerto Rico, where we do not have anything close to a major city; so we are confused about what exactly should we expect. I'm a little more at ease because I keep reading the forums here and can make a certain scene, but my wife isn't that fond of the Internet, so she is pretty much using movies as her main reference. Lol

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrenb5 View Post
Awesome. I'm sure the first place I pick won't be the last. After all, I would be picking the first place with some rush. Just want to know that those places are viable at all.

For places that require a pet deposit, do you know if I can begin living in the apartment without paying the deposit (I won't have my cats when I first move in), and once my wife comes over I pay the deposit?
You'd have to speak to each individual landlord about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be willing to work with you.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Man, was looking at San Juan and didn't realize murder rate was nearly 1000/year for a city under 400K. Midtown KC will be a cakewalk in comparison. KC gets 80 to 100 or so per year and most on E side or those into wrong circle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Yeah. That's one of the main reasons (snow being the first :P) I'm leaving. It's crazy here and people are always yelling and pissed. I only leave home for work or to go to a mall. It's really boring.

A friend of mine already living in Liberty, MO told me he really likes it there, people are friendlier and the whole place feels a lot safer than any street in SJ. He also told me The Plaza is beautiful. He also compared night activity to Old San Juan, but with mayor proportions, a LOT more cleaner, a LOT more and safer.

Does Westport/Plaza activity spills much over the residential areas?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrenb5 View Post
Awesome. I'm sure the first place I pick won't be the last. After all, I would be picking the first place with some rush. Just want to know that those places are viable at all.

For places that require a pet deposit, do you know if I can begin living in the apartment without paying the deposit (I won't have my cats when I first move in), and once my wife comes over I pay the deposit?
My current property manager knew (because I told him) that there was a possibility of my getting custody of my dog when I started renting, but that it wasn't a done deal (and sadly ended up not happening), and he did not require that I pay a pet deposit until the point at which the dog would be there. My complex has a fairly liberal pet policy, though. It's really gonna be a building-to-building, mgmt. company to mgmt. company thing, but there are for sure pet-friendly places, and you'll likely be able to find somebody who will work with you.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 AM

Thanks man. This keeps my hopes up. My last interview is this Wednesday. If everything goes right I should have an offer by the end of the week.

If this happens, expect me to open several threads asking a lot of things. Or maybe I should open only on thread?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
^Sticking with one thread and asking multiple questions is easiest for us regulars. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or